How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?

Old 04-19-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
Speedthrill
CF Member

Default How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?

In relation to my thread in general discussion....about issues with some wheels I ordered up. One wheel wouldn't balance out properly. Tried multiple times rotating tire, etc....and keeps asking for 5 oz worth of wheel weights in one spot to balance out. Seems like way too much to me, and indicates an inconsistency in the casting or something. When I did wheel balancing many years ago, I remember trying to balance out wheels with 2 oz or less overall.

Am I being OCD? Is that an excessive amount of weight needed to balance out my wheel? Other wheels balanced out fine...needing only few weights on each. And those were on 19x12 rears, and one other 18x9.5 front wheel....the other front wheel being the problem. OEM Speedline wheels.
Speedthrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
irok
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedthrill View Post
In relation to my thread in general discussion....about issues with some wheels I ordered up. One wheel wouldn't balance out properly. Tried multiple times rotating tire, etc....and keeps asking for 5 oz worth of wheel weights in one spot to balance out. Seems like way too much to me, and indicates an inconsistency in the casting or something. When I did wheel balancing many years ago, I remember trying to balance out wheels with 2 oz or less overall.

Am I being OCD? Is that an excessive amount of weight needed to balance out my wheel? Other wheels balanced out fine...needing only few weights on each. And those were on 19x12 rears, and one other 18x9.5 front wheel....the other front wheel being the problem. OEM Speedline wheels.
your being OCD.Put 5 1 ounce weights on it
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Speedthrill
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok View Post
your being OCD.Put 5 1 ounce weights on it
It's not the number of weights that bothers me. It's the fact it's 5 oz of weight needed,,,,in one spot or in total. Defect in the wheel.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
MYCoupe
CF Senior Member

Personally I wouldn't use that wheel. There is obviously something wrong with it if it needs 5 oz to balance properly.
MYCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Redhook98
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYCoupe View Post
Personally I wouldn't use that wheel. There is obviously something wrong with it if it needs 5 oz to balance properly.
Redhook98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Do you guys place the balance weights right in the center of the wheel or off to one side like most of the shops do?
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Must_Have_Z
CF Senior Member

IMO, you're being way too **** and excited over this. Check out this blog by Tire Rack. You'll find that 5oz is perfectly fine given the overall weight of the tire and wheel (remember it's not just the wheel you're balancing - your tire could be "off" too):

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...-are-too-many-
Must_Have_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
Speedthrill
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z View Post
IMO, you're being way too **** and excited over this. Check out this blog by Tire Rack. You'll find that 5oz is perfectly fine given the overall weight of the tire and wheel (remember it's not just the wheel you're balancing - your tire could be "off" too):

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...-are-too-many-
Thanks for the link. I still think 5 oz is too much in one spot, given the tire is perfect (was mounted on other rims). I could understand if the 5 oz of weight was spread out in a couple places on the rim...but it's all in one spot, and kept asking for it in one spot even after rotating the tire on the rim a couple of times and trying to rebalance.

I'm sure I can live with it for now, but still looking into another wheel.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
AORoads
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As said above in a post, tire + wheel may require more weight since both could be unbalanced. Question: have you had the one wheel spun without a tire on it to see just how off it is? This would at least give you some indication if it is internal to the wheel or something visibly wrong, i.e., external. After all, what if the wheel is fine, and it's the tire? Or, the wheel is just slightly off and the tire is, too, making it a combined problem.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?
  •