C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:37 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?

In relation to my thread in general discussion....about issues with some wheels I ordered up. One wheel wouldn't balance out properly. Tried multiple times rotating tire, etc....and keeps asking for 5 oz worth of wheel weights in one spot to balance out. Seems like way too much to me, and indicates an inconsistency in the casting or something. When I did wheel balancing many years ago, I remember trying to balance out wheels with 2 oz or less overall.

Am I being OCD? Is that an excessive amount of weight needed to balance out my wheel? Other wheels balanced out fine...needing only few weights on each. And those were on 19x12 rears, and one other 18x9.5 front wheel....the other front wheel being the problem. OEM Speedline wheels.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedthrill
In relation to my thread in general discussion....about issues with some wheels I ordered up. One wheel wouldn't balance out properly. Tried multiple times rotating tire, etc....and keeps asking for 5 oz worth of wheel weights in one spot to balance out. Seems like way too much to me, and indicates an inconsistency in the casting or something. When I did wheel balancing many years ago, I remember trying to balance out wheels with 2 oz or less overall.

Am I being OCD? Is that an excessive amount of weight needed to balance out my wheel? Other wheels balanced out fine...needing only few weights on each. And those were on 19x12 rears, and one other 18x9.5 front wheel....the other front wheel being the problem. OEM Speedline wheels.
your being OCD.Put 5 1 ounce weights on it
Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by irok
your being OCD.Put 5 1 ounce weights on it
It's not the number of weights that bothers me. It's the fact it's 5 oz of weight needed,,,,in one spot or in total. Defect in the wheel.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Personally I wouldn't use that wheel. There is obviously something wrong with it if it needs 5 oz to balance properly.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
Personally I wouldn't use that wheel. There is obviously something wrong with it if it needs 5 oz to balance properly.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Do you guys place the balance weights right in the center of the wheel or off to one side like most of the shops do?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

IMO, you're being way too **** and excited over this. Check out this blog by Tire Rack. You'll find that 5oz is perfectly fine given the overall weight of the tire and wheel (remember it's not just the wheel you're balancing - your tire could be "off" too):

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...-are-too-many-
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
IMO, you're being way too **** and excited over this. Check out this blog by Tire Rack. You'll find that 5oz is perfectly fine given the overall weight of the tire and wheel (remember it's not just the wheel you're balancing - your tire could be "off" too):

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...-are-too-many-
Thanks for the link. I still think 5 oz is too much in one spot, given the tire is perfect (was mounted on other rims). I could understand if the 5 oz of weight was spread out in a couple places on the rim...but it's all in one spot, and kept asking for it in one spot even after rotating the tire on the rim a couple of times and trying to rebalance.

I'm sure I can live with it for now, but still looking into another wheel.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As said above in a post, tire + wheel may require more weight since both could be unbalanced. Question: have you had the one wheel spun without a tire on it to see just how off it is? This would at least give you some indication if it is internal to the wheel or something visibly wrong, i.e., external. After all, what if the wheel is fine, and it's the tire? Or, the wheel is just slightly off and the tire is, too, making it a combined problem.

Get notified of new replies

To How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?

Quick Reply: How much weight is too much on a wheel for balancing?