C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in headers.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Tickled pink for you Midnite, really am. I wished and hoped for your numbers or close anyways but it is what it is
I wish that some of the members lived close enough to one another to see just what a car that made what yours made do a side by side with one like mine that made dramatically lower numbers.
After much researching the subject of "Dynos" and the difference in the number they produce for almost identical car/mods it would be a great tool to maybe settle it somewhat.
Oh well good for you, you got the bragging rights bro Any video of the runs ???
NSF
NSF , you are getting all caught up in the numbers ....yours is making the same power as mine and Midnights .... its no different , LS3, headers . CAI and a tune, they all make the same number .... you just used a different DYNO...........

I did not chose the DYNO .... I choose to run mine at the track and am more than pleased with the numbers especially since its been 30 years since I went down a track .....working on my " DRIVER MOD" now

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 05-26-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Tickled pink for you Midnite, really am. I wished and hoped for your numbers or close anyways but it is what it is
I wish that some of the members lived close enough to one another to see just what a car that made what yours made do a side by side with one like mine that made dramatically lower numbers.
After much researching the subject of "Dynos" and the difference in the number they produce for almost identical car/mods it would be a great tool to maybe settle it somewhat.
Oh well good for you, you got the bragging rights bro Any video of the runs ???
NSF
No, I didn't shoot video of the runs. If I had figured it out, ahead of time, I would have at least run data logs of it, too.

It would be more convenient to have a common dyno to have a sense for how cars with similar tweaks really compare. At the end of the day, it's about interpretation and so pretty tough to compare one to another. I'm not so hooked on the numbers as how the second set compares to the first. That was the important part for me. Like I said earlier, my butt had already told me the new parts were making a difference.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
NSF , you are getting all caught up in the numbers ....yours is making the same power and mine and Midnights .... its no different , LS3, headers . CAI and a tune, they all make the same number .... you just used a different DYNO...........

I did not chose the DYNO .... I choose to run mine at the track and am more than pleased with the numbers especially since its been 30 years since I went down a track .....working on my " DRIVER MOD" now

Dave
I know Dave, I know, we have talked about it before but the question is still out there isn't it, Makes no difference to me now because I know how my car feels, and I have talked with quite a few members who have the same mods, including you.
BUT, the results vary so much from one dyno manufacture to another it begs to be explained or rationalized, maybe that's too much to ask. Midnite's number is 61 RWHP higher than mine if I did my math right, that's a huge difference, so there you go, whatever
NSF
Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I know Dave, I know, we have talked about it before but the question is still out there isn't it, Makes no difference to me now because I know how my car feels, and I have talked with quite a few members who have the same mods, including you.
BUT, the results vary so much from one dyno manufacture to another it begs to be explained or rationalized, maybe that's too much to ask. Midnite's number is 61 RWHP higher than mine if I did my math right, that's a huge difference, so there you go, whatever
NSF
So if you want to throw another dyno number into the mix, let this one create more food for thought. My last dyno yielded a max hp of 394 and tq of 389 on a Dynojet which most people feel shows bigger numbers. 3 weeks later with no tuning changes I ran 10.80 @ 126.84. Mods are Vararam, ported IM, LG street catless headers into Z06 mufflers, converter, and tune. There are only 8 Z06 bolton cars quicker and they dyno around 450 hp stock.

Confused yet?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
So if you want to throw another dyno number into the mix, let this one create more food for thought. My last dyno yielded a max hp of 394 and tq of 389 on a Dynojet which most people feel shows bigger numbers. 3 weeks later with no tuning changes I ran 10.80 @ 126.84. Mods are Vararam, ported IM, LG street catless headers into Z06 mufflers, converter, and tune. There are only 8 Z06 bolton cars quicker and they dyno around 450 hp stock.

Confused yet?
OK Tom, go to the back of the room
I'll take your track numbers and they can have the dyno numbers any day of the week
Bobby
Old 05-26-2017, 10:56 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Good, then you buy what you want, I'll buy what I want.
I did a lot of research about this, I guess I just wasted my money cause I went with Kooks, glad I did now that I have them and read what others have said about the lesser priced brands. Maybe its the little things like the 02 extensions that ARE LONG ENOUGH, or the Stage 8 fasteners that they supply and don't break, or an actual X pipe instead of an H pipe, ect.
The old saying may come into play here *
*you get what you pay for*
Whatever floats your boat right
NSF
you get what you pay for doesn't always work out.look at picture in post 21 of high priced American Racing Headers!!!!those flanges are 100% welded inside and outside circumference on my OBX catted LTH's that cost $800. including shipping.car makes 650 rwhp with them and fit and finish was perfect.on car now for 6 years without any issues.the money I saved with the headers paid for my ported Fast 102 intake manifold.everyone can run whatever header works for them
Old 05-27-2017, 03:29 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Highest Price:
American Racing
Kooks
LG Motorsports

Mid-range but still perform:
Texas Speed
Hinson

OBX is a wildcard it seems. Sometimes they are quality pieces, sometimes they are not.

This is all from my experience and research. I went Hinson and have no complaints.

Then again, sometimes bad s**t happens and you scrape your headers like this:

I would hate to think of the number of bad words and tears that would have been dropped had these been some high-dollar pieces...
Old 05-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

In all honesty I cannot comment on any thing except what I bought, but now that I have installed the Kooks along with the items that COME WITH THEM included I can say that I did get what I paid for.
For example.
I have read in quite a few posts about the 02 sensor extensions being too short or did not come with, included in the price.
Fit and finish were not quite up to par
Fasteners/hardware not included in the price.
Quality clamping bands and bolts/nuts
These items are pricey if you have to provide them.

Kooks included everything needed including Stage 8 locking fasteners which I appreciate their importance.
In the end buy what you are comfortable with and can afford. But to say that all headers are equal is simply not true when you consider the entire package. JMHO so take it for what its worth.
Good luck with your decision
NSF
The following users liked this post:
sfrank2886 (06-10-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in headers.