C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improvement on bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

[QUOTE=TomdaToolman;1594963640]
Originally Posted by CI GS
OP, have you decided what you're going to do as yet with this?
I'm still undecided (actually more confused) after researching this further. I would probably do the rear spherical bearings, and I'm not so much worried about the harsher ride, but I don't want to have to pull my suspension down again in a few years to replace bearings that might not be available or be out of production, or some other BS. What I can't figure out is why these things can't be designed so that they can be greased? I guess then they would be really expensive, and the bearing manufacurers would be able to sell many replacement bearing kits?
The other thing is that, at more than double the cost of the Ridetech Delrin kit, they're very expensive to start with, and the LG kit (which seems to be preferred over the Pfadt) requires some machining for the kit to be installed. That makes those prohibitive to me.
I'll probably go with either the Pfadt rear "Drag Race" kit, or the Ridetech Delrin. I hate buying something that make my car squeaky though, and I've read about Delrin bushings being brittle and grenading during installation, which is wierd. If Ridetech offered a rear control arm Delrin bushing kit at roughly half the cost of the full kit, I would've bought it already. The Van Steel (or is that "steal") Delrin bushings are available separately, but they add up to be nearly as expensive as the spherical bushings! What a conundrum...[/QUOTE

I'm still thinking and evaluating on my options, or lack thereof.

Check out this thread, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-review.html

Reading the above link/thread, there seems to be no real machining, just a little grinding/sanding and enlarging an existing hole for the LGs.
I have plenty of other mods to keep me busy before getting to this one!
Thanks, I saw that thread. I'm not rushing into this either.
I'm going to try to install a set of Hinson Engine and Transmission Mounts this weekend. That ought to keep me busy enough for this week.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 AM
tslsa28
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What about the Chevrolet T1 A arms? They have the front upper and lower and the rear lower A arms. I use my stock LS3 on road courses with NTO1s or Hoosiers and with the stock A arms was losing camber in the front on turns (indicated by tire wear) and felt the rear steer a bit under acceleration. With the T1s my front tires are wearing much better and the rear seems more stable. The T1s use a firmer rubber bushing but I couldn't tell any difference on the street with harshness or noise. Other than being expensive, they work very well for me.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by tslsa28
What about the Chevrolet T1 A arms? They have the front upper and lower and the rear lower A arms. I use my stock LS3 on road courses with NTO1s or Hoosiers and with the stock A arms was losing camber in the front on turns (indicated by tire wear) and felt the rear steer a bit under acceleration. With the T1s my front tires are wearing much better and the rear seems more stable. The T1s use a firmer rubber bushing but I couldn't tell any difference on the street with harshness or noise. Other than being expensive, they work very well for me.
Where can the T-1 components be found?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 PM
tslsa28
Racer

On page 387 of the 2017 Chevrolet Performance Parts catalog the T1 component parts are listed with part numbers. You can get them at any parts department or much cheaper at gmpartsdirect.com or gmpartshouse.com. Sometimes Jegs and Summit also have Chevy performance parts. If you can't find the catalog online I'll get the part numbers for you.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Wouldn't urethane bushings accomplish the same thing and possibly be an even greater improvement?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM
tslsa28
Racer

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
Wouldn't urethane bushings accomplish the same thing and possibly be an even greater improvement?
I'm sure the performance would be as good or better but I don't know about ride quality and longevity as I have only tried the T1 A Arms. A good friend works at a Cadillac dealership so he gets me GM parts at cost which made it easy to try the T1 parts.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:42 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default lg poly

I'm sure the performance would be as good or better but I don't know about ride quality and longevity as I have only tried the T1 A Arms. A good friend works at a Cadillac dealership so he gets me GM parts at cost which made it easy to try the T1 parts.
I went through the same research when replacing my rubber bushings (the front started to melt from brake heat on track). The stock rubber was so bad I had clunking when braking on the street and turning in parking lots. I was worried about ride quality/noise/harshness etc. I got LG poly and grease was used inside where the metal contacts the bushing. Results: no more clunking noises, suspension feels solid now and I don't notice deflection like I did before (on street or on track); I can't say I notice an increase in harshness or road noise... I'm sure it is transmitting more since it is tighter now, but I don't notice it nor am I bothered on the street; Almost no noise/squeaks from the poly...if the car has been sitting a while it will make some subtle "crunching styrofoam" like noises when backing out the driveway or going over bumps that move the control arms a lot, but it is very minor and goes away after just a few minutes of driving. I was very worried about ruining street manners with the poly but after having them installed I regret not doing it sooner. It doesn't ruin my street driving experience/enjoy-ability one bit... even when it make a tiny amount of noise when cold. If you get poly, just go with LG and get them properly installed and lubed. Hope my experience is helpful.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by c6moneypit
I went through the same research when replacing my rubber bushings (the front started to melt from brake heat on track). The stock rubber was so bad I had clunking when braking on the street and turning in parking lots. I was worried about ride quality/noise/harshness etc. I got LG poly and grease was used inside where the metal contacts the bushing. Results: no more clunking noises, suspension feels solid now and I don't notice deflection like I did before (on street or on track); I can't say I notice an increase in harshness or road noise... I'm sure it is transmitting more since it is tighter now, but I don't notice it nor am I bothered on the street; Almost no noise/squeaks from the poly...if the car has been sitting a while it will make some subtle "crunching styrofoam" like noises when backing out the driveway or going over bumps that move the control arms a lot, but it is very minor and goes away after just a few minutes of driving. I was very worried about ruining street manners with the poly but after having them installed I regret not doing it sooner. It doesn't ruin my street driving experience/enjoy-ability one bit... even when it make a tiny amount of noise when cold. If you get poly, just go with LG and get them properly installed and lubed. Hope my experience is helpful.

That's some serious heat!
Good to know that some folks have had good results with poly bushings.
Most seem to have condemned them because they bind.
But I thought that poly bushings were prone to heat related failure too?

Quick Reply: Improvement on bushings?