C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vitesse Throttle Controller, Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by VitesseMotorsports
I would like to thank the person that brought this to our attention.

We are here to assist ANYONE that has ANY issue with our controllers. Feel free to call us or email with the details...
Yes, we've sold 1000's and very few have issues, maybe 2 or 3 in 1000 units sold !
That is why we offer a warranty on the controller.
We will always stand behind our products.
Thank you
Bob
While the others have complained , I can attest to this fact that Vitesse stands behind the product . After being installed in my C6 for almost a year I had more than a few instances of reduced throttle all at once. I re calibrated the unit everytime it failed ,checked my battery which was new and I could verify that it was not my pedal or throttle body with my TECH Ii . I worked with Bob and sent him pictures of the calibration , and detailed explanations of when it was failing , the end result was Bob asked me to send him the defective unit and he then sent me a new one which was still in the car when I traded for my new C7 .

When I found out my C7 had the same throttle lag i wasted no time in purchasing one for it which now has been in the car for 9 months and is working perfectly.

Bottom line is , no matter what it is , it can fail, it's how it gets handled is what matters , just look at all the A8 transmission failure reports with the C7 , you might think it was every A8 from the reports or the forums but it is fact only a small percentage of the auto cars or look at all the reported Shift flair issues with an A6 ...

I can't speak to the post above where the guy says Vitesse offered a small discount or the others that said that they did not get any help but I can say I am happy with both of my Vitesse units and the service, although some time the response was slow, I received from BOB
Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 08:01 AM
JCSRT8
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

​​​​​​Well, I’m glad your experience hasn’t shared the same ending as mine with wasted money and a lack of confidence in a product line. I’m not one to complain about much especially when customer service is willing to rectify the situation in which this never happened. I’m happy with Sprint Booster and hope you guys never have the same issues I did.
The following users liked this post:
rajahhindi (11-09-2020)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:27 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JCSRT8
​​​​​​Well, I’m glad your experience hasn’t shared the same ending as mine with wasted money and a lack of confidence in a product line. I’m not one to complain about much especially when customer service is willing to rectify the situation in which this never happened. I’m happy with Sprint Booster and hope you guys never have the same issues I did.
You still never gave us specifics even though you were asked , all you said is you gave them the chance and ....I would love to hear your side as there is always two sides to a story

I have helped more than my share of people who had "issues" with the Vitesse and 99.9 % of the time it WAS NOT a problem with the unit . And then there were some where it was 100% with out a doubt , a problem with the unit

Did you provide details to BOB on when it was failing?
The reduced power mode will come up for many reasons , what was the code ?
Did you check your pedal voltage to make sure it was not a problem with your car and not the controller?
A flaky pedal or throttle body will pop the code and adding a Vitesse will only amplify the problem

Did you check the connections at the throttle body and the pedal as one member did above , this one is the most troublesome because it can be hard to get the connectors to snap into place
This is not a Vitesse problem this is a GM problem , look at all the airbag issues caused by the connector under the seat

Was the unit under warranty ? If the unit was out of warranty when it failed , while hard to swallow, giving a discount on a new one is better than nothing . If you are out of power train warranty and your trans blows , do u think that GM is going to give you and install a new transmission??

let us know the details ....dont just bash them

Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmk0210
I didn't know that. I never recalibrated mine since installing it last year.
It's been working fine though.
Let me clarify why ..... the ECM is sensitive to the voltage signal that is being sent from a Pedal Commander or a Vitesse

This voltage might vary depending on the state of the battery and alternator. If the voltage is not what the ECM is expecting ( out of range condition) it will respond with a reduced power mode , which any drive by wire system is designed to do . I think the C6 is more susceptible because we all know it has its starter solenoid and charging issues which cause variations in voltage . Newer battery, strong charging system , no seloinod problems = you will never have to recalibrate it which is the case 99.9 % of the time

Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 04:28 PM
JCSRT8
Instructor

We are here to assist ANYONE that has ANY issue with our controllers. Feel free to call us or email with the details...

Yes, we've sold 1000's and very few have issues, maybe 2 or 3 in 1000 units sold !

Thank you

Bob
So I can get a full refund on the faulty one I have, I posted the video above ???
Old 12-22-2018, 07:01 PM
VitesseMotorsports
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JCSRT8

So I can get a full refund on the faulty one I have, I posted the video above ???
If you have an issue with your controller and it's still under warranty, we'll exchange it with a brand new one.

The Full Refund only applies for the first 30 days trial period.

Thank you

Bob
Old 12-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

If you have an issue with your controller and it's still under warranty, we'll exchange it with a brand new one.
The Full Refund only applies for the first 30 days trial period.
Thank you
Bob
Under warranty for a year , replace unit .....
Within 30 days , you can get a refund
Sounds Fair to me ... I don't understand what the problem was ...
Dave
Old 08-31-2019, 08:37 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Can i simply disconnect the power to the vitesse to verify if it is the controller that is causing the limp mode?
Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by etazbaz
Can i simply disconnect the power to the vitesse to verify if it is the controller that is causing the limp mode?
No ........ it's not a pass thru device , cant imagine the codes you will throw doing that ...

Ether disconnect it or just recalibrate it

Most of the time it's not the vitesse , it's the condition of your battery

What condition is your battery in ? Has it ever gone dead on you , how old is it ?

Or it's getting hot ....

You don't have the control box in a hot area like stuffed in between the carpet and the tunnel do u , it needs to be mounted out in the open , mine was wire tied to a wiring harness .

Or its not calibrated correctly, setting the low point is easy but the high point is where people struggle, make sure u are mashing the pedal on the floor while setting the high point .

If you still get the reduced power mode contact Vitesse

Dave
Old 08-31-2019, 11:20 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by Dcasole
No ........ it's not a pass thru device , cant imagine the codes you will throw doing that ...

Ether disconnect it or just recalibrate it

Most of the time it's not the vitesse , it's the condition of your battery

What condition is your battery in ? Has it ever gone dead on you , how old is it ?

Or it's getting hot ....

You don't have the control box in a hot area like stuffed in between the carpet and the tunnel do u , it needs to be mounted out in the open , mine was wire tied to a wiring harness .

Or its not calibrated correctly, setting the low point is easy but the high point is where people struggle, make sure u are mashing the pedal on the floor while setting the high point .

If you still get the reduced power mode contact Vitesse

Dave
I completely removed the vitesse and so far no codes and my OBD port is working again. The box was always resting on top of the plastic cover below the dash out in the open. if the car continues to run smooth and not throw codes and the OBD continues to work then I will know it was the vitesse.
rajahhindi (01-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:43 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I completely removed the vitesse and so far no codes and my OBD port is working again. The box was always resting on top of the plastic cover below the dash out in the open. if the car continues to run smooth and not throw codes and the OBD continues to work then I will know it was the vitesse.
You cant really say that since you did not try recalibrating the unit. I had a dead battery for a couple weeks and after I got it charged and had the car running, I got a check engine light for a throttle body code. I recalibrated the Vitesse, cleared the code and it did not return. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:24 AM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by C5Natie
You cant really say that since you did not try recalibrating the unit. I had a dead battery for a couple weeks and after I got it charged and had the car running, I got a check engine light for a throttle body code. I recalibrated the Vitesse, cleared the code and it did not return. Good luck.
I have a new battery. It is true I haven’t recalibrated it since I installed the new battery. Truth be told I never liked any of the other throttle settings. Stock was best for me so hopefully this cures it.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:33 AM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Yeah right

Thank you

Bob
When I had my problem with this unit I was first ignored, then told they could not help me because it was a problem with my car. Car had a new new battery (same one still in it) and a newer alternator. We re-calibrated it twice after initial problem arose. I removed it because it was causing an UNSAFE condition. In box in my garage. JUNK. And company did not offer to replace or help. One of the worst experiences I've ever had with a company. Like going to a Dealership.....take the money and run.
The following 2 users liked this post by vetteJPJ:
JCSRT8 (09-14-2019), rajahhindi (11-09-2020)
Old 09-01-2019, 05:52 AM
JCSRT8
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetteJPJ
When I had my problem with this unit I was first ignored, then told they could not help me because it was a problem with my car. Car had a new new battery (same one still in it) and a newer alternator. We re-calibrated it twice after initial problem arose. I removed it because it was causing an UNSAFE condition. In box in my garage. JUNK. And company did not offer to replace or help. One of the worst experiences I've ever had with a company. Like going to a Dealership.....take the money and run.
It’s funny how they say buy a new battery, but when I installed the Sprint Booster I didn’t have to and haven’t had any issues since, no overheating or limp modes. To each his own, I’m not bashing Vitesse or those who buy there products, just simply stating the facts of my experience. Hope you get this resolved man and good luck.
rajahhindi (11-09-2020)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have a new battery. It is true I haven’t recalibrated it since I installed the new battery. Truth be told I never liked any of the other throttle settings. Stock was best for me so hopefully this cures it.
If you are happy with the stock throttle response then I would just leave it alone. The Viteese is just like any other electronic device that needs to be reset (or recallibrated, in this case) after a loss of power. If you post it in the FS section I am sure you will have no problem selling it.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:16 PM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine faulted out twice..removed and sold....
The following 2 users liked this post by m.whitmell:
JCSRT8 (09-12-2019), rajahhindi (11-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

My original controller gave me some "reduced power" problems a couple of times, but overall I liked the product. I weighed another person's ECU mod option against trying out the newer version (with the **** instead of buttons) that I understand has some firmware and hardware improvements over the original version.

I switched out to the new unit and everything worked great for about 5 months. Then... I started up one day and had a reduced power problem and car was running rough. I automatically assumed it was the Vitesse. Well, I disconnected the unit, fired up the car, and still had the problem and the car was still running rough. Finally got out my code reader and low and behold it wasn't the throttle controller, it was a coil error on the #6 cylinder. So I looked up new coils and was ready to order one, and as I was investigating which cylinder was #6 I found a loose plug wire. Plugged it back in and wah lah! All good. Hooked up the Vitesse, recalibrated and it worked perfect.

Teaches me to not jump to conclusions and look for the simplest solution first. Haven't had a single issue with the new unit, and it is also cheaper and easier to return to stock if necessary compared to the ECU-based option. Service from Vitesse was great as well. So, I guess you could say I'm a fan.

Last edited by CrvtBB; 09-09-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Throttle Controller, Reduced Engine Power