C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 ZO6 wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM
VETTSM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2010 ZO6 wind noise

Does anyone have advice as to how and where I can get the upper seal repaired on my 2010 ZO6? I have bad turbulence noise at the top seal between the window and the roof. I notice this from 25mph up to 125mph.I do not have any wind in the car, but there is a depression between the glass. seal and the roof which causes the sound in the car of a open window. I put a piece of tape over the area and the wind noise went away. Is there a quick fix, of do you think I need a new seal?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by VETTSM; 06-08-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:04 PM
VETTSM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Can someone recommend a good glass company who can remove the window and fix the seal in NorCal?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Lift it up and put silicone under it. Let it go back down after the silicone is nearly cured. Put some duct tape over the offending area and drive it to see if the problem goes away before you do anything.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:54 PM
VETTSM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Lift it up and put silicone under it. Let it go back down after the silicone is nearly cured. Put some duct tape over the offending area and drive it to see if the problem goes away before you do anything.
Thanks,, I tried tape and the noise went away for the first time since I have had the car..... I am unable to lift this to install silicone without damaging the seal...... I figure that I need to have the window removed and have the seal reset up higher on the window frame.....

Last edited by VETTSM; 06-25-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:27 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Wind noise from that exact spot was an early symptom of roof panel delamination on C6s made through early 2007 (including the Z06). Should have been long fixed by 2010. Let's hope you're not Patient Zero for trouble with the replacement design.

In any event, I don't think your problem has anything to do with the windshield glass. Just like the Coupe, there's a big weatherstrip molding sandwiched between the roof panel and the windshield header. That molding is the rubber strip you're seeing from the outside.

On the Coupes, you can adjust the latches so the roof will sit higher or lower. If you adjust it lower, the panel presses into the weatherstrip more tightly. I think on the Z06 the mounting holes for the roof frame are slotted, so it may be possible to make a similar adjustment.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by VETTSM
Thanks,, I tried tape and the noise went away for the first time since I have had the car..... I am unable to lift this to install silicone without damaging the seal...... I figure that I need to have the window removed and have the seal reset up higher on the window frame.....
Check to make sure the top panel hasn't lifted. If it has, that needs to be fixed first, which may solve all your problems. Also, the gasketing under the top may be the source of the noise. That panel can be removed from inside by pulling interior panels off and accessing the fasteners. Before you try to remove the windshield, try working with the roof panel first. So consider the fiberglass panel being lose first, Then consider the entire structure as being lose or needing new gasketing. If none of that solves the problems, Contact Safelite and ask about new molding or resetting the windshield.
The following users liked this post:
VETTSM (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:08 PM
VETTSM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Check to make sure the top panel hasn't lifted. If it has, that needs to be fixed first, which may solve all your problems. Also, the gasketing under the top may be the source of the noise. That panel can be removed from inside by pulling interior panels off and accessing the fasteners. Before you try to remove the windshield, try working with the roof panel first. So consider the fiberglass panel being lose first, Then consider the entire structure as being lose or needing new gasketing. If none of that solves the problems, Contact Safelite and ask about new molding or resetting the windshield.
Thanks for the information... I appreciate it... I will work on that before I call a glass shop as the cost for that work could get up there in $$$$$
Old 06-30-2017, 01:19 PM
VETTSM
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Update

Originally Posted by VETTSM
Thanks for the information... I appreciate it... I will work on that before I call a glass shop as the cost for that work could get up there in $$$$$

Just a followup from this tread...
First of all I want to thank everyone for their input. I went to a glass man and he told me that he would have to remove the window and re-set the seal. So I went to Amazon and did some research and found a universal window trim for $14.00.... I cut the bottom tab off as you can see in the photos. Now the seal had a form of a "T" instead of a "J".. The universal part had sealant on the inside that came on the part . I pulled back the existing seal next to the roof panel and inserted the new piece over the area that was allowing the wind noise to hit the roof panel. I pressed the new piece between the seal and roof panel and now it looks like a factory weather strip. All the wind noise is gone and you can't tell that it is an aftermarket repair... Saved a BUNCH of money.... If and when I have to replace the glass I will fix the problem then,,,, but for now I will enjoy the sound of the 7.0... and my wife telling me to slow down,,, instead of the constant wind noise.....
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2017, 07:00 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Dang, nice work
The following users liked this post:
VETTSM (07-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 ZO6 wind noise

Quick Reply: 2010 ZO6 wind noise