C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major list of problems to solve on C6 Corvette in Brazil

Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Markusrd
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major list of problems to solve on C6 Corvette in Brazil

Good afternoon folks!

I've just yesterday intruduced myself on the Forum, and the guys over there pointed me to post on this section. Let me explain what my situation is:

I just purchased a 2006 C6 Corvette LS2 in Brazil. The Corvette is not a "series" vehicle and can be only purchased BRAND NEW via direct import. Therefore, my Corvette already has 11 years of "life" in a Country which does not have spare parts readily available for it, and has been with some owners who were stupid enough to own such a car and just use it 'till it was sold to the next owner.

It has a M/T transmission and 30k miles on it. I had a good deal and bought it about a month ago. I will list below the problems that I found (so far) and what I have done to fix it (if anything at all yet).

- The clutch was adapted from another vehicle. Bought new clutch and replaced, works 100% now.

- After replacing the clutch, I noticed the 1st gear "scratched" to be selected, and also "slipped" out of position some times. I think the 1st gear synchronizer is bad, currently using 2nd gear to launch. Thoughts?

- My C6 has the adaptive suspension, but all 4 shocks were busted. Bought 4 new OEM schocks but without adaptive option. Will go to Chevrolet dealership and use TechII to disable the function. Is that correct?

- the TPMS sensors were removed, as the previous owner installed different wheels. Bought 4 TPMS sensors. Do I have to program them, or just install and they will be recognized?

- The fuel gauge does not read correctly. Car shows P0463 code (Fuel level Sensor A Circuit High). When erasing the errors, it comes back up and shows an erratic level (but above empty). Bought 2 vials of TECHRON additive, and am currently running a full tank on it.

- The car starts up and shows the padlock (anti-theft?) light on dashboard permanently. I think this is a more delicate matter: the previous owner adapted universal window motors on the vehicle. First i thought that it was due to failure, but now I suspect the ani theft was on(?) and he wouldn't diagnose it so he replaced the comand unit, window motors and window/mirror buttons with universal units to make it work. Any thoughts? The BOSE audio amp was removed aswell, no idea why.

- The car shows SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING sometimes on the dash. When it shows, the traction control light stays on the dash.

- The Power steering pump apparently is gone. there is oil everywhere and the steering sometimes squeeches and gets hard to turn when stopped. Bought new PS Pump and will install soon. Any tips?

- The whole cars SQUEEKS when riding on a bumpy road. Speacially the plastic roof. Any ways to make this better?

- I removed both CAT from the Vehicle, it has currently straight pipes. Will do a remap to disable the CAT + power and will post some figures later on.

- I bought a second FOB, as I only had one from the previous owner. In order to program the FOB, the instructions say I should turn the rear bumper key 5 times. however the key cylinder does not have any wires coming out of it. Shouldn't it have some wires so it would recognize i'm turning it? Any thoughts on how to program this?

I think that is all, maybe there are some other small items that I forgot, will bring them up later on.

Thank you all for your patience to read this!

Here are some pics of the 'vette:

Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

The power steering high pressure hose could be the reason your losing fluid. I replaced mine because it was leaking. I also replaced the pump, since I was there and my vert has over 100,000 miles. Not an especially easy job, but doable if you have the right tools.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

How much did you pay for this car and in what currency?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:00 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

The reason so many things gone bad is previous owner sold the good parts to advantage himself on the sale and replace those with list expensive common parts imo.

These cars at 30k miles are like new everything gone wrong done on purpose.

Your car is beautiful and I would fix it!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-creakier.html

Last edited by xBoostx; 06-12-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Markusrd
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
How much did you pay for this car and in what currency?
Around 160.000 BRL, about U$ 47.000
Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM
MannyS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Adaptive shock solution:

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...2005-2012.html

Boa Sorte
Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Regarding the TPMS and the FOB, I'm hoping you knew/checked whether your car has the 315 Mhz or 433 Mhz system. Exports, at least to Europe and Japan, had 433, while North America had 315. Your local Chevy dealer should have known, assuming you bought the parts there.
The TPMS can be activated (programmed) by most any tire shop.

Here's a link to a source of info for your '06 that includes an owners manual, if you don't have one. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/2006/

The squeaky roof has several "fixes" that seems to work. What works for me, is a couple drops of sewing machine oil to lube the plastic roller axle on the latch assembly.

IIRC, the linkage from the hatch key will turn a switch that activates the computer to allow the FOB to be programmed.

The gas gauge problem may be solved by regular doses of Techron. The unfortunate alternative is pulling the fuel tank to replace the sender and that's a real pain.

Since you have multiple issues, I'd recommend purchasing a service manual. It sounds like you have the ability to fix things, but lack information to do it.

Best of luck to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Major list of problems to solve on C6 Corvette in Brazil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major list of problems to solve on C6 Corvette in Brazil