Nav Radio Case - Openning it up - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Radio Case - Openning it up

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I just ran across this:

Supposed to have 10 brushes and made for auto....ordered it and will let everyone know if it helps.
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #22
LV2TOUR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LV2TOUR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 6,849
Thanked 548 Times in 461 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinmyls1 View Post
I just ran across this:

Supposed to have 10 brushes and made for auto....ordered it and will let everyone know if it helps.
Looking forward to your review.
LV2TOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #23
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kenny94945's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Sausalito CA
Posts: 3,581
Thanked 75 Times in 68 Posts
Default

I opened my case today.

My issue was that I could not figure out how to remove the front screen and surround.

Before removal I ejected the CDs from both slots and then closed the front screen.

Unsure if leaving the screen open would be an option during removal and unsure if an open screen allows for the front screen and surround removal.

Without removing the front, there was no access to the screws that hold the CD Music unit to gain access to the Nav unit.

None the less I removed the three (easy to remove) case top and side panels to access the units the best I could.

Cleaning the CD Music lens was easy.
Cleaning the top of the plastic protector of the Nav unit was easy.

Blindly, based on the photos, I assumed the Nav lens was in the same spot as the music CD so I inserted a Q-top under the plastic cover CD protector and hoped for luck.

Also cleaned the motor fan blade.

Lastly I completely blow out the case of dust with air and reassembled.
(After 12 years in a Vert the unit did need a de-dusting/ cleaning)

At the moment, the Nav is functioning.
Could be intermittent luck or a successful repair.
Well see over time.

In closing, if you can remove the center console you can remove the unit's side casing and give the unit a deep clean to remove dust and dirt. I'd call it an easy repair.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 07-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Kenny94945 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny94945 For This Useful Post:
extrapilot (07-18-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #24
LV2TOUR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LV2TOUR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 6,849
Thanked 548 Times in 461 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny94945 View Post
I opened my case today.

My issue was that I could not figure out how to remove the front screen and surround.

Before removal I ejected the CDs from both slots and then closed the front screen.

Unsure if leaving the screen open would be an option during removal and unsure if an open screen allows for the front screen and surround removal.

Without removing the front, there was no access to the screws that hold the CD Music unit to gain access to the Nav unit.

None the less I removed the three (easy to remove) case top and side panels to access the units the best I could.

Cleaning the CD Music lens was easy.
Cleaning the top of the plastic protector of the Nav unit was easy.

Blindly, based on the photos, I assumed the Nav lens was in the same spot as the music CD so I inserted a Q-top under the plastic cover CD protector and hoped for luck.

Also cleaned the motor fan blade.

Lastly I completely blow out the case of dust with air and reassembled.
(After 12 years in a Vert the unit did need a de-dusting/ cleaning)

At the moment, the Nav is functioning.
Could be intermittent luck or a successful repair.
Well see over time.

In closing, if you can remove the center console you can remove the unit's side casing and give the unit a deep clean to remove dust and dirt. I'd call it an easy repair.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

well done.

The front door can be left open, then undo the connector in the back.
The unit will have no power, and the front door will stay open, and can be operated by hand.

I plan on deep cleaning my 2006 unit over the winter hibernation period, or sooner if either the CD or Nav do not recognize the CD or DVD.
I have used the CD cleaner disc, and air from a can, and that has kept the units operating well over the years.

Since I had the front portion of the spare unit off, long before closely looking for the laser lens, I can't remember what it had for screws to hold the front part CD or Nav units. I see the pics I posted of the parts, some of the parts that do belong to the front portion of the unit assembly. The screws are all in a plastic bag, likely never to be used again, but keepers, just in case I need a small item for any other project.

Hopefully your endeavours will make for a long term fix.

LV2TOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #25
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I tried the new cleaning disc but didn't help. I don't think any of the cleaning discs rotate because the radio doesn't recognize it.
But here is the good news: If you can get the dvd player out, you can buy a brand new GM Denso player on fleabay for 77.00$. I was amazed when I saw this. I tried to remove mine but the some of the screws were so tight I was stripping them. Also it was unclear to me if the front cover has to come off. I have since found a pdf on how to remove it. The pdf was created by NAV Tool to show how to install their rear camera to show on the nav screen. I would include it but it seems to be too big to include here. I probably could email it if anyone needs it or you may be able to find it on NAV Tools website. Hope this helps. If anyone can successfully remove cd and dvd show us how you did it.

Thanks
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lovinmyls1 For This Useful Post:
extrapilot (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #26
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kenny94945's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Sausalito CA
Posts: 3,581
Thanked 75 Times in 68 Posts
Default

lovinmyls1.....Yes, please send me that Nav Tools PDF.

There site seems to be redesigned and asks to contact them for the instructions.'

I'll try to send a PM through this forum w/ my email address.

PS...My luck failed...back to the no recognized Nav disk error message this AM.

Kenny
Kenny94945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #27
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny94945 View Post
lovinmyls1.....Yes, please send me that Nav Tools PDF.

There site seems to be redesigned and asks to contact them for the instructions.'

I'll try to send a PM through this forum w/ my email address.

PS...My luck failed...back to the no recognized Nav disk error message this AM.

Kenny
Ok Kenny, pm me and I'll be happy to send it. I would like to see a member be able to remove dvd without damaging anything because 77 bucks for a new factory oem dvd unit is fantastic
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #28
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kenny94945's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Sausalito CA
Posts: 3,581
Thanked 75 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Hi all that are following this thread.

Yes, received the file from Lovin.
Accordingly the instructions show the removal process of the front screen and surround.

So, yes, if attempting this repair open the screen before removing the radio is the answer to my original comment below:

"Unsure if leaving the screen open would be an option during removal and unsure if an open screen allows for the front screen and surround removal."
Kenny94945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #29
extrapilot
CF Senior Member
 
extrapilot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Bridgewater New Jersey
Posts: 1,920
Thanked 239 Times in 222 Posts
Default

I used the same cleaning disc as lovinmyls1 tried for the CD player with no success, so if I'm feeling brave enough, I will be tearing into the NAV unit in the near future.
I've got this thread bookmarked for future reference also, so thanks guy's..
extrapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #30
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

News update....I think I've solved my problem. To my way of thinking only two reasons would cause an error message, the machine itself or the disc. So I took a close look at my disc (which is always in the machine) and found...... not scratches but sort of swirls. Since this is a copy of the original, I made a couple more copies and what do you know? ....works great! Tried it yesterday and today around town and no errors at all. So before taking your unit apart you might try another disc ( hopefully you kept the original safe).
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #31
extrapilot
CF Senior Member
 
extrapilot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Bridgewater New Jersey
Posts: 1,920
Thanked 239 Times in 222 Posts
Default

I read or heard someplace that copies of cd's do not last like the originals. Not sure how true this could be, hopefully you found a cure.
extrapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #32
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Never heard that but I would gladly sacrifice copies than ruin a original disc.
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #33
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,701
Thanked 362 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinmyls1 View Post
Never heard that but I would gladly sacrifice copies than ruin a original disc.
See post 17 ... I asked if we were sure it was not the discs ...

That would have been the first thing I checked

Glad it al worked out

Dave
Dcasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #34
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Yeah your right!
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #35
Dcasole
CF Senior Member
 
Dcasole's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,701
Thanked 362 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinmyls1 View Post
Yeah your right!


All that matters is you got it working !
Dave
Dcasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #36
lovinmyls1
CF Senior Member
 
lovinmyls1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hammond Indiana
Posts: 277
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Thanks, I hope some of this info helps the others too.
lovinmyls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #37
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kenny94945's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Sausalito CA
Posts: 3,581
Thanked 75 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Well round 2....I was able to fully access 100% the Nav laser lens.

Remove compete Radio/ Nav unit from dash.

Yes, windows down, car open, automatic trans into 2nd gear, leave screen open, eject disks, disconnect battery, place blue painters tape over the screen face as a potential scratch protector.

I may be leaving out some steps as my previous posts should be used in tandem with this post.

Yes, the front screen needs to be removed.

Remove the two screws and their barrels on each side of the screen's retract arms.
I inserted a razor blade between the barrel and arm to lift the barrels and they just lifted out easy and noting it appears blue lock tight is used on these two screws.

Arms recess back into unit (and back out of unit on reassembly) with no issues.

However, I was unable to release the lock for the cable (on the screen side to the unit "guts") to fully remove the screen.

I did not wish to force it, yet the directions I had made it look easy with no special guidance, so I failed here.

Yet, with the clearance I had, I was able to access the two front screws of the CD music unit once the screen and the face plate surround were removed from the case and moved a sold inch away from the front of the unit.

Also of note is a "L" shape copper ground bracket on the upper corner of the surround.
Just take care...I had to bend mine during reassembly.

Once the CD music unit/ case is removed (leave cable attached and just flip it over; out of the way) you have full access to the clear plastic protector on top of the Nav .

I could clearly see the Nav laser lens.

An existing hole in the plastic protector allowed full access to the lens.

I also noted that both the Music and Nav lens are on a flexible attachment...in other words the lens are not solid mounted and I would assume bounce around with rough roads.

Further, I am unsure if lens alignment is a trick the pros use to fully repair these units.
I have no advise, ticks nor noticed anything concerning adjusting/ aligning these lens attachments.

Using some isotopic (sp) alcohol on a Q-tip, followed by a second dry Q-tip was my lens cleaning technique.

Lastly reassembly.

So........Nav disk is working.

Yet, as with my first repair attempt, I don't know if this is luck or a successful long term repair.

Thanks for all the feedback with my thread and here's luck to all who may attempt a lens cleaning.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 07-22-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Kenny94945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #38
LV2TOUR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LV2TOUR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 6,849
Thanked 548 Times in 461 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny94945 View Post
Well round 2....I was able to fully access 100% the Nav laser lens.

Remove compete Radio/ Nav unit from dash.

Yes, windows down, car open, automatic trans into 2nd gear, leave screen open, eject disks, disconnect battery, place blue painters tape over the screen face as a potential scratch protector.

I may be leaving out some steps as my previous posts should be used in tandem with this post.

Yes, the front screen needs to be removed.

Remove the two screws and their barrels on each side of the screen's retract arms.
I inserted a razor blade between the barrel and arm to lift the barrels and they just lifted out easy and noting it appears blue lock tight is used on these two screws.

Arms recess back into unit (and back out of unit on reassembly) with no issues.

However, I was unable to release the lock for the cable (on the screen side to the unit "guts") to fully remove the screen.

I did not wish to force it, yet the directions I had made it look easy with no special guidance, so I failed here.

Yet, with the clearance I had, I was able to access the two front screws of the CD music unit once the screen and the face plate surround were removed from the case and moved a sold inch away from the front of the unit.

Also of note is a "L" shape copper ground bracket on the upper corner of the surround.
Just take care...I had to bend mine during reassembly.

Once the CD music unit/ case is removed (leave cable attached and just flip it over; out of the way) you have full access to the clear plastic protector on top of the Nav .

I could clearly see the Nav laser lens.

An existing hole in the plastic protector allowed full access to the lens.

I also noted that both the Music and Nav lens are on a flexible attachment...in other words the lens are not solid mounted and I would assume bounce around with rough roads.

Further, I am unsure if lens alignment is a trick the pros use to fully repair these units.
I have no advise, ticks nor noticed anything concerning adjusting/ aligning these lens attachments.

Using some isotopic (sp) alcohol on a Q-tip, followed by a second dry Q-tip was my lens cleaning technique.

Lastly reassembly.

So........Nav disk is working.

Yet, as with my first repair attempt, I don't know if this is luck or a successful long term repair.

Thanks for all the feedback with my thread and here's luck to all who may attempt a lens cleaning.
Thanks,

I'll be doing this to my "good" working unit over the winter, just to clean the lens of the CD and DVD players.
Hopefully, your unit will be as good as new.
Keep us posted from month to month please.
LV2TOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 AM   #39
Dano523
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 379 Times in 304 Posts
Default



Bank that the problem is not the lens itself since most blown air will get dust off the surface of the lens, but the prisms down under the lens that reflects the laser returning light to the photo electrical cell that is dirty (and maybe even the face of the photo cell dirty as well).



So the short version, you need to pull the top lens off the laser body, and get down in the lens lower channel to clean the dust off the prisms/mirrors and photo cell face instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 07-23-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Dano523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #40
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kenny94945's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Sausalito CA
Posts: 3,581
Thanked 75 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Dano always bring an expert level to the discussion.

For me, I think removal of the lens from its carrier is for the experienced only.

If my Radio/ Nav unit was not functioning at all I might experiment.
Getting to the CD music lens carrier is easier than accessing the Nav lens carrier IMO.

Attempting the prism repair, while still being able to drive the car, again to me has risk.
Plus without guidance I personally still had an issue removing the front screen cable.

The Nav unit may also have cables to disconnect to access its lens carrier...not sure.

Based on Dano's comments, I could disassemble a third time and focus compressed air on the lens carriers. Again lens removal for me may not be possible without guidance.

I think at the moment, I have taken this repair attempt as far as my talents will allow. Other than a third disassembly with the focused air to carrier comment, the next step may likely be part replacement.

Thanks again every one.
Kenny94945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Nav Radio Case - Openning it up
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Nav swap Jack Forbes C6 Corvette General Discussion 6 07-09-2017 04:12 PM
    Need help on aftermarket Nav system. WW7 C6 Tech/Performance 4 01-06-2016 04:44 PM
    Nav Syatem 2006 rcjays C6 Corvette General Discussion 8 06-07-2014 07:49 PM
    [Z06] Nav system can't read disk Lawdogg C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 13 03-23-2012 12:55 PM
    "No valid disk..." MagnaBob C6 Corvette General Discussion 20 02-12-2008 07:45 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: