C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Broken LG GT2 coilover - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I don't have a dog in this fight but in regards to LG taking care of it, how many items do you own that have a 5yr no questions asked replacement warranty? Why is it car enthusiasts (and this applies to all brands) always expect these manufacturers to replace everything at no cost no matter how long they've had it? Your car from a multi billion dollar company doesn't come with that kind of warranty. Why would you expect a small (relatively) company to offer better than that? No one likes to admit it these days but **** still happens which is exactly what happened here.
If that's aimed at me, I never personally said I wanted LG to replace them. But, I would like to hear them at least chime in on the subject ("we're investigating the matter" or "looks like it was abused" or whatever). I agree that **** happens, and that may be what happened here. However, LG remaining silent on this thread doesn't make me want to buy their products either.

Vendors that communicate with the community often tend to do better than vendors who don't. And it seems that LG has tried in the past to build relations with the Corvette community (I've noticed them chime in on other threads to try to sell their products or offer advice), so it makes it odd when they don't respond to a post.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:01 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Hopefully we get an update soon. I'm looking to put those same (GT2s) on my daily.
I don't think anyone is expecting anything from LG here other than answers. More of a "what happened", "what failed" and "how can we prevent this" type scenario. Parts wear out and parts break. What type of curb do you people think he hit that would ONLY damage one coilover??
Hopefully the OP can order some replacement parts for his set and be on his way.
The following users liked this post:
SivaSuryaKshatriya (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Rather than asking to have a vendor monitor every thread on every forum (which is a slight exaggeration), why not have the OP ASK LG directly and report back on here? Is that asking a lot, or just about right?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:13 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Judging by the lack of OP's responses to this thread, I'd say he's dipped out a while ago. That being said, I've PM'd Louis @ LG motorsports a link to this topic. It's possible he did miss this thread, running a shop and all.

Just to re-state where I'm coming from, I was involved in the drift scene back when I had my FRS, and I've seen numerous coil systems being used and abused for a long time. Some break because they're cheap ****, some break because the owner abused them. But for the most part, coil systems don't break unless they hit something. I'm curious about the Z06 though because the car was never designed to use independent suspension, so my worry is that this could be causing a lot of pressure and stress on the coil system, leading to the issue we saw in this thread. It's entirely possible I'm wrong though.

Last edited by SivaSuryaKshatriya; 09-20-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
If that's aimed at me, I never personally said I wanted LG to replace them. But, I would like to hear them at least chime in on the subject ("we're investigating the matter" or "looks like it was abused" or whatever). I agree that **** happens, and that may be what happened here. However, LG remaining silent on this thread doesn't make me want to buy their products either.

Vendors that communicate with the community often tend to do better than vendors who don't. And it seems that LG has tried in the past to build relations with the Corvette community (I've noticed them chime in on other threads to try to sell their products or offer advice), so it makes it odd when they don't respond to a post.
Not pointed at anyone. Just an outside view point. Personally, I'd rather the vendors stay off the forums and focus on their business and products than get drawn into a bunch of arguments with people who have no business being involved in the matter in the first place. I find forums to be toxic waste grounds in situations like this because instead of the OP dealing with the vendor, they come on a forum and expect the vendor to service them here and when they don't everyone gets upset at the vendor and starts saying things like "I was considering their product but not anymore" and only see one side of the story and now that vendor will forever have a bad rap on the internet and that can kill a business. It's like people have forgotten that some matters should be dealt with in private and not blasted out in the world for a bunch of people to throw their unneeded and uninformed 2 cents in.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigBlue:
AORoads (09-21-2017), rpmextra (09-24-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Louis doesn't work at LG either. You need to call or email the shop, not pick handles off the forum. Louis hasn't worked at LG for years. Anthony hasn't been there for awhile too.

A forum is not proper way to contact a shop. Use their official email or phone.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

BC
Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Chief
What I DO see is evidence that these shocks were pressed well beyond their design limits.
So I guess the OP went well beyond what was shown in this video by LG? Interesting.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ That's just it, you're guessing. You don't know and no one else does either.

Plus, since July 9/10, the OP has not had a chance in 75+ days to come back and TELL us what has transpired since he sent the pics in Post 3 to LG. I call that rude or something else. I'm done with it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Not pointed at anyone. Just an outside view point. Personally, I'd rather the vendors stay off the forums and focus on their business and products than get drawn into a bunch of arguments with people who have no business being involved in the matter in the first place. I find forums to be toxic waste grounds in situations like this because instead of the OP dealing with the vendor, they come on a forum and expect the vendor to service them here and when they don't everyone gets upset at the vendor and starts saying things like "I was considering their product but not anymore" and only see one side of the story and now that vendor will forever have a bad rap on the internet and that can kill a business. It's like people have forgotten that some matters should be dealt with in private and not blasted out in the world for a bunch of people to throw their unneeded and uninformed 2 cents in.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I would only ever come on here to complain about a product/vendor if I already tried dealing with that vendor prior and they didn't want to stand by their work or parts. I'm not talking about a product lasting 5yrs either.
People don't understand the damage they do to companies when they come out to the public and complain. I mean you got to at the very least give them a proper chance to solve the problem or come to an agreement. Going public should be a last effort, and in this actual case, I think I would have just contacted them directly, explained the situation, and at best hoped for a little discount but expect nothing as it's been 5 yrs.
Imagine if the OP did exactly that, and they said "hey sorry to hear that, tell you what, send it over and we'll replace it free, you pay shipping" this post would have been more like "wow, I can't believe the awesome service LG gave me and they stand behind their stuff....look at this guys"
what the OP did is practically blackmail, but the problem is, you already spilled the beans.

Last edited by rpmextra; 09-24-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with all parts, there is responsibility on both sides.

It's on the enthusiast to point out things like this
It's on the manufacturer so show us how they deal with it

It's up to all of us to make decisions based on what both sides do here.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Hopefully we get an update soon. I'm looking to put those same (GT2s) on my daily.
I don't think anyone is expecting anything from LG here other than answers. More of a "what happened", "what failed" and "how can we prevent this" type scenario. Parts wear out and parts break. What type of curb do you people think he hit that would ONLY damage one coilover??
Hopefully the OP can order some replacement parts for his set and be on his way.
Originally Posted by AORoads
Rather than asking to have a vendor monitor every thread on every forum (which is a slight exaggeration), why not have the OP ASK LG directly and report back on here? Is that asking a lot, or just about right?
Originally Posted by rpmextra
Couldn't have said it better myself. I would only ever come on here to complain about a product/vendor if I already tried dealing with that vendor prior and they didn't want to stand by their work or parts. I'm not talking about a product lasting 5yrs either.
People don't understand the damage they do to companies when they come out to the public and complain. I mean you got to at the very least give them a proper chance to solve the problem or come to an agreement. Going public should be a last effort, and in this actual case, I think I would have just contacted them directly, explained the situation, and at best hoped for a little discount but expect nothing as it's been 5 yrs.
Imagine if the OP did exactly that, and they said "hey sorry to hear that, tell you what, send it over and we'll replace it free, you pay shipping" this post would have been more like "wow, I can't believe the awesome service LG gave me and they stand behind their stuff....look at this guys"
what the OP did is practically blackmail, but the problem is, you already spilled the beans.
I was looking up a picture of our GT2's and stumbled across this thread. According to quickbooks a warranty shock was mailed out 07/10/17, salesperson at the time spent more time on mustang forums than on corvette forums. Just wanted to let everyone know that we stood behind our product and the customer was taken care of.
-Side note. the upper mount is oriented in a position that would not allow the coilover to pivot in the same direction as the control arms which is likely why it broke and looks like it was bottomed out heavily.

Thanks,

Dane
The following 4 users liked this post by Dane@LGmotorsports:
drew_c6 (05-14-2018), rpmextra (05-10-2018), Rudy Suarez (02-02-2021), scramblerman (05-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Help!! Broken LG GT2 coilover - PICS