C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top post battery terminals won’t tighten

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:42 PM
ZMechanism
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top post battery terminals won’t tighten

The top post factory terminals are flimsy and won’t tighten anymore due to the metal cracking under the tightening nut. I know I can buy the whole replacement cables with terminals but the same problem will likely occur again. Has anyone replaced just the terminals with high quality terminals?

What is the best way to fix this issue that has worked well and is a fix instead of a patch?

Thanks

Last edited by ZMechanism; 07-11-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Chop the terminals off and replace them with something nicer. That's what I did, no problems since.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Battery terminal post caps, under 10 bucks and does the job.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM
ZMechanism
Advanced

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Battery terminal post caps, under 10 bucks and does the job.
schpenxel, what terminals did you use?

ArtClassShank, which battery terminal post caps are you referring to? Where can I see an example of these?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I used these but looks like they aren't on there anymore.. anything similar should work totally fine.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-13-2017, 11:03 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Well, my approach is probably overkill.

When I do a battery relocation (mostly on other cars, not Corvettes) or I'm doing a resto-mod on something older, I use "military spec top post battery terminals." I generally use Grote 84-9581 on the positive terminal, Grote 84-9580 on the negative terminal. I find that lead terminals on lead posts have fewer corrosion problems from galvanic action with dissimilar metals. Just don't overtighten the things, they can crack from being over tightened.

Those terminals give you a bolt and nut(s) that ring lugs (even a stack of lugs) can be secured to.

I usually remove the bolt for the cable(s) on those terminal clams and use a stainless steel bolt/nuts/washers of appropriate size and known quality. Honestly, I've never checked the ones I pull out to see if they are stainless or not, so I might be wasting a bit there. One nut holds the bolt in the terminal, the ring lug from the cable is sandwiched between washers between that nut and another nut to hold the cable.

You can buy battery cables with ring lugs on both ends, or you can make your own. I generally prefer to make mine so that they are an exact fit for the application. A local source has appropriate wire, and he has the big crimper/press to crimp the copper tube ring lugs. I tin the end of the cable with electrical solder, and tin the inside of tube the wire goes in the copper ring lug as well. Then I take my measured, double checked for length cable with the tinned ends and ring lugs with the tinned, prepared wire holes to the guy and have him crimp on the lugs with the big crimper/press. After crimping, I heat the things one more time until the solder melts/bubbles, and I flow a bit more electrical solder in. I finish everything with heat shrink tubing around the soldered joint on the ring lug.

I've never had one of my setups come back with a problem in the terminals or cables. Even race cars, with battery "kill switches" and multiple heavy cables with multiple ring lugs haven't had issues anywhere when I've done things this way. Also no problems with high power audio installations, and no problems on motor homes with multiple batteries, inverters and other high power DC loads.

Oh, and if you're autocrossing or you just want covers to protect and prevent anything from shorting on the posts, you can find plastic covers for those terminals. I think some folks on Amazon even sell "kits" that include those terminals, ring lugs and covers.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:25 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Here is a good read
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nal-in-c6.html

I used the Stingers that he shows. No issues, just have to make sure that the positive wires are in all the way before tightening. They also have a top bolt that you can remove for adding components. I was able to hook up my battery tender cables to them and now they are easy plug n play.

Like the others have said, get rid of the factory stuff and get some good quality aftermarket types. Look at what they use for car stereo installs. Those are usually the better brands.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Take a screwdriver and tap down the stock fastener until it sits at the bottom of the terminals and then tighten.... They tend to slip off if you just slide them on and the tighten... works great!
The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
Take a screwdriver and tap down the stock fastener until it sits at the bottom of the terminals and then tighten.... They tend to slip off if you just slide them on and the tighten... works great!
I use a deep-well socket. Get one big enough to fit over the battery posts, put the terminals on, tap the socket with a hammer and it'll push the terminals all they way to the bottom and it will usually tighten right up.
The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (07-13-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM
ZMechanism
Advanced

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
I use a deep-well socket. Get one big enough to fit over the battery posts, put the terminals on, tap the socket with a hammer and it'll push the terminals all they way to the bottom and it will usually tighten right up.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Get notified of new replies

To Top post battery terminals won’t tighten

Quick Reply: Top post battery terminals won’t tighten