C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great job new cam from Horsepower Addicts in DE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
edean
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Great job new cam from Horsepower Addicts in DE

Coming off an off ramp in my 05 I stepped into it and heard what we all dread.....KNOCKING....followed by a check engine. Was a cam sensor code and misfire. When i pulled the cam sensor it was torn up by something. Had a feeling it was the dreaded LS2 cam crank bolts loosening. Called a few shops in the area (PA) and Josh was the most responsive and the only one I felt who was truly giving me the time to review. Had the car send to Horse Power Addicts in DE, where josh and team confirmed the cam crank bolts (all three) had loosened up, cracked the cover but the chain was intact. One bolt was sheared off! This is the point I consider myself very lucky.....discussed w/ Josh the options and luckily after pulling the pan Josh found the bolt head AND cam pin in the oil pan. Next, he pulled the cam and found some marks on the lobes and let me know they probably touched the lifters. Made a decision to pull the heads, and good decision as number of lifters had been flattened on the top side. Josh checked the heads and pistons and all checked out good (again, lucky)

ive been to enough corporate events to know when you have lemons...make lemonade....so reviewed with josh and decided to upgrade all that was already apart to:
Dewitt Radiator
Cam gear
GM chain and chain guide
LS7 Lifters and new trays
BTR springs and pushrods
160 stat
Texas Speed Torquer V2 232 234 .600/.600 113 lsa

Car already had kooks headers, kooks mid pipe and corsa extreme.

Dyno was 442 RWHP and 407 RWTQ

Josh tuned the car perfectly and it has great street manners and comes to life when you put your foot into

Working with Josh was great to deal with always answering my questions and letting me know my options for what I was looking for. He sent pics along the way to show me what happened each step of the way He also changed little things the car needed(motor mount and gaskets where needed, etc) and worked out a price that was reasonable and started/finished the work when he said he would (plus no tax in DE).

I highly recommend Josh and the Horse Power Addicts Team.

Quick vid at idle with new cam

Pic of broken cam bolt
Attached Images  

Last edited by edean; 07-18-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

it doesn't make any sense? the lobes of the cam DO touch the rollers of the lifters, the cam is held in place by a retainer plate it can't walk back and forth no matter what the cam bolts, timing sprockets do. seems like you at least go with a C5 race chain and obviously there was something else going on for "lifters being flattened on top" whatever that's supposed to mean?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Glad your happy with everything Evan. You caught the issue just in time.

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
it doesn't make any sense? the lobes of the cam DO touch the rollers of the lifters, the cam is held in place by a retainer plate it can't walk back and forth no matter what the cam bolts, timing sprockets do. seems like you at least go with a C5 race chain and obviously there was something else going on for "lifters being flattened on top" whatever that's supposed to mean?
Go loosen some LS cam bolts and watch how far back the cam can move before it touches the rear cover. The retainer plate does nothing for holding the cam forward if the cam gear is not torqued correctly. This car came in with loose/one broken cam bolt. This allowed the cam to move backwards and the lifters were contacting the wrong cam lobes. Imagine two lifters next to each other splitting the same cam lobe. With the issue it tore the cam lobes, lifters, sprocket, chain, ect.

Last edited by HorsePowerAddicts; 07-19-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by edean
Coming off an off ramp in my 05 I stepped into it and heard what we all dread.....KNOCKING....followed by a check engine. Was a cam sensor code and misfire. When i pulled the cam sensor it was torn up by something. Had a feeling it was the dreaded LS2 cam crank bolts loosening. Called a few shops in the area (PA) and Josh was the most responsive and the only one I felt who was truly giving me the time to review. Had the car send to Horse Power Addicts in DE, where josh and team confirmed the cam crank bolts (all three) had loosened up, cracked the cover but the chain was intact. One bolt was sheared off! This is the point I consider myself very lucky.....discussed w/ Josh the options and luckily after pulling the pan Josh found the bolt head AND cam pin in the oil pan. Next, he pulled the cam and found some marks on the lobes and let me know they probably touched the lifters. Made a decision to pull the heads, and good decision as number of lifters had been flattened on the top side. Josh checked the heads and pistons and all checked out good (again, lucky)

ive been to enough corporate events to know when you have lemons...make lemonade....so reviewed with josh and decided to upgrade all that was already apart to:
Dewitt Radiator
Cam gear
GM chain and chain guide
LS7 Lifters and new trays
BTR springs and pushrods
160 stat
Texas Speed Torquer V2 232 234 .600/.600 113 lsa

Car already had kooks headers, kooks mid pipe and corsa extreme.

Dyno was 442 RWHP and 407 RWTQ

Josh tuned the car perfectly and it has great street manners and comes to life when you put your foot into

Working with Josh was great to deal with always answering my questions and letting me know my options for what I was looking for. He sent pics along the way to show me what happened each step of the way He also changed little things the car needed(motor mount and gaskets where needed, etc) and worked out a price that was reasonable and started/finished the work when he said he would (plus no tax in DE).

I highly recommend Josh and the Horse Power Addicts Team.

Quick vid at idle with new cam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xE74ltiZ4Y

Pic of broken cam bolt

I also had a great experience with Josh but it was when my daily driver lost it's clutch and they took me in asap and had the work completed within less than a week! Josh explained what was wrong with the car and gave me all the options needed to fix the problem.
Highly recommend these guys!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Great job new cam from Horsepower Addicts in DE

Quick Reply: Great job new cam from Horsepower Addicts in DE