C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting to 5th at high rpm, going into reverse instead

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:42 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Shifting to 5th at high rpm, going into reverse instead

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with an ECS trans/diff brace and an MGW upper and lower shifter box. I also have a back up camera that displays the rear image while driving. The other night I was shifting from 4th to 5th and it felt like I couldn't find the gear. I then noticed the reverse lights light up since it was nighttime. The reverse lockout solenoid works perfectly under all other conditions (above 3 mph it locks me out of reverse). But when at high rpm (6k rpm or so) shifting 4th to 5th, it sometimes doesn't lock me out and I can get it into reverse. If I shift to 5th under light acceleration it locks out reverse just fine. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Last edited by c6moneypit; 07-30-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:20 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Never heard of it or had it happen...thankfully...it would be the mackdaddy of all money shifts Sounds like the lock-out is failing intermittently, something I would definitely get repaired asap.

Tbh I was a little nervous when I saw where Chevy put reverse. My 911 6MT has it behind 1st, which I personally think is a safer place.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Originally Posted by ben z
Never heard of it or had it happen...thankfully...it would be the mackdaddy of all money shifts Sounds like the lock-out is failing intermittently, something I would definitely get repaired asap.

Tbh I was a little nervous when I saw where Chevy put reverse. My 911 6MT has it behind 1st, which I personally think is a safer place.
Yeah I really wish they hadn't used a design where you rely on an electrical component that can fail, to keep you from reverse going 140 ish. Next to 1st makes much more sense, or a mechanical lock out like pulling on the shift collar etc.

I'm trying to decide whether to have my performance shop fix/replace the solenoid or if I should let the dealer mess with it. The dealer will probably warranty it.
BTW if I wait a moment in neutral before attempting to shift into 5th the solenoid starts working properly again and locks out reverse. It's that high rpm normal rhythm shift to 5th where the problem occurs. So strange. I hope replacing the solenoid fixes the problem.

Last edited by c6moneypit; 07-31-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My car was doing that at last 1/2 mile. If I tried to hit 5th at 7k+ rpm it would block me out, and the cars behind me said they kept seeing the reverse lights come on. It won't go in, but definely happening. I don't know if there is anything wrong, besides maybe shifter adjustment. Hard to find places to do a 170mph shift besides the track.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:02 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Default revers

Originally Posted by Unreal
My car was doing that at last 1/2 mile. If I tried to hit 5th at 7k+ rpm it would block me out, and the cars behind me said they kept seeing the reverse lights come on. It won't go in, but definely happening. I don't know if there is anything wrong, besides maybe shifter adjustment. Hard to find places to do a 170mph shift besides the track.
Thanks for the input. The shop says the wires look ok so we are replacing the solenoid. Hopefully that fixes it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

you better be wearing your seat belt if you ever get it to go into reverse at 170mph
Old 08-15-2017, 03:51 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

It reminds me when I was a kid my dad's best friend who was a draftsman at the GM tech center in Warren, MI took me to the GM proving grounds in Milford to watch them test out cars. One test was they took it up to hwy speed and threw it in reverse (Hydramatic). It made quite a racket but the transmission didn't go flying out from under the car or anything.
Another test was they put an explosive charge on the front wheel rim and blew out the tire at hwy speed. This was back around '65-'66 I think. No computer simulation back then.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:31 PM
cyberGS10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c6moneypit
I have a 2013 Grand Sport with an ECS trans/diff brace and an MGW upper and lower shifter box. I also have a back up camera that displays the rear image while driving. The other night I was shifting from 4th to 5th and it felt like I couldn't find the gear. I then noticed the reverse lights light up since it was nighttime. The reverse lockout solenoid works perfectly under all other conditions (above 3 mph it locks me out of reverse). But when at high rpm (6k rpm or so) shifting 4th to 5th, it sometimes doesn't lock me out and I can get it into reverse. If I shift to 5th under light acceleration it locks out reverse just fine. Has anyone heard of this happening?
My 2010 Grand Sport has been doing this intermittently exactly as you described, 4-5 shifts at higher RPM's grinds like it's hitting reverse. I used to think i was missing a shift or doing something wrong. My reverse just took a crap on me last weekend i believe because of this exact issue. Like you said at lower speeds/RPM's it didn't happen. Hopefully you have better luck after replacing the solenoid. I took my car to the dealer when it was still under warranty because of this issue and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now i have to pull the trans and figure out what to do next.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 AM
c6moneypit
Racer

Originally Posted by cyberGS10
My 2010 Grand Sport has been doing this intermittently exactly as you described, 4-5 shifts at higher RPM's grinds like it's hitting reverse. I used to think i was missing a shift or doing something wrong. My reverse just took a crap on me last weekend i believe because of this exact issue. Like you said at lower speeds/RPM's it didn't happen. Hopefully you have better luck after replacing the solenoid. I took my car to the dealer when it was still under warranty because of this issue and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now i have to pull the trans and figure out what to do next.
Yeah sounds like my issue. I can predict when it will happen now, and as I go for 5th I can now tell if it is in the reverse gate , plus the back up light goes on (I can see it in my rear camera at night), so I don't release the clutch when it feels like that. It's actually really hard to just go into 5th when that reverse gate is open... it just wants to go to reverse. I guess if it happens again I'll just start going straight to 6th then 5th, pretty much guaranteed to hit 5th that way lol. Or I'll try double clutching before 5th. I'll know this weekend if it is fixed. I'm getting the car Friday and the solenoid will be brand new. There was another forum thread where a few people had similar issues (solenoid intermittently not working under same conditions) and 1 person said replacing the solenoid fixed the issue. I'll get back to you this weekend

Last edited by c6moneypit; 08-16-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

It's happened to me the 2 times I've tried to shift into 5th at high RPMs, on the stock clutch. I have not tried it with my new clutch yet. I've also heard of other people having the issue as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting to 5th at high rpm, going into reverse instead

Quick Reply: Shifting to 5th at high rpm, going into reverse instead