C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best performance upgrages for the LS 3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Atomic LS3 C6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the best performance upgrages for the LS 3 engine

C6, A6 corvette best performance upgrades for LS 3 engine
Best bang for the buck
Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Blower kit if you are talking about engine mods only
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Install it in the lightest car you can find
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (08-05-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Welcome to the forum. If you fill out your profile more than just "male", it'll help understand what you have and where you live.
When you ask a question, you need to be more specific about things like what you want to do. Race the drags or road track, long distance road racing, auto-X, car shows, road trips, or just weekend local drives? Maybe even give a idea of your budget too.

With the only info so far, I'd suggest the $2 shroud prop. It's easily the cheapest tenth you'd ever get on a 1/4 mile timeslip.
Atomic LS3 C6 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Atomic LS3 C6
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Welcome to the forum. If you fill out your profile more than just "male", it'll help understand what you have and where you live.
When you ask a question, you need to be more specific about things like what you want to do. Race the drags or road track, long distance road racing, auto-X, car shows, road trips, or just weekend local drives? Maybe even give a idea of your budget too.

With the only info so far, I'd suggest the $2 shroud prop. It's easily the cheapest tenth you'd ever get on a 1/4 mile timeslip.

I want to add another 100-200 HP to my 2008 C6 and I want it to remain reliable. I only use it on the street but when I use it I drive it like a sport bike. My Corvette has the Z51, NPP and 3LT option package, is an A6 and currently has 8,300 miles on it. This is my first Corvette. It handles and goes well but just doesn't have enough punch. I've ridden 1000cc sport bikes for the last 14 years and the Corvette is a replacement for my motorcycle as I'm older and don't bend as well as I used to.
I've looked at the E-force superchargers and wondered how long the stock engine would last under forced induction with the stock 10.7 to 1 compression. The addition of another 100 lbs. to the engine compartment is another issue. The cost is around $8,000 plus installation and a high performance fuel pump depending on the blower kit.
I've looked at Jegs and other companies that offer LS3 crate motors and they have LS3 engines that make 525 HP for around $8,000.
Also, I thought that the installation of a cam, valve springs, CAI and long tube headers and a computer tune might get me around another 100 HP for around $4,000 in parts plus labor.
There is also a company in Texas that makes LS3 performance engines for around the same money. Are they worth it?
I've also thought about a complete engine rebuild on my current engine but think that it might be as waste as it only has 8,000 miles on it.

My budget is up to $10,000 but more HP for less $ is always better.
I want to make a wise choice when making the upgrade/upgrades and I'm looking for some solid advise so anything vendor or component specific would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

A&A blower. Mine did 560rwhp with just the kit. If you have extra cash invest in long tube headers as well. After that would be a smaller pulley, meth injection and a cam swap. That would put you around 700rwhp. Which is about as far as id personally push a stock bottom end. Some have gone past that and lived, while others have not.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Ronald Koch Jr.
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with a camshaft headers and cai to boost performance and have been happy. Not cheap but well within your budget leaving money for other upgrades you want.

Ron
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Atomic LS3 C6
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LSX228R
A&A blower. Mine did 560rwhp with just the kit. If you have extra cash invest in long tube headers as well. After that would be a smaller pulley, meth injection and a cam swap. That would put you around 700rwhp. Which is about as far as id personally push a stock bottom end. Some have gone past that and lived, while others have not.
How long have you had the upgrade and how well is the engine and drive train holding up? Have you had to replace anything due to the large increase in HP?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Atomic LS3 C6
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ronald Koch Jr.
I went with a camshaft headers and cai to boost performance and have been happy. Not cheap but well within your budget leaving money for other upgrades you want.

Ron
Ron,
What was the approximate cost of your upgrade and who performed the work and how long or how many miles do you have on the upgrade?
I live in the North East corner of Mass. and am looking for someone located in either MA, NH, ME Ct, or NY to do the upgrade.
I've heard good things about Slowhawk in East Bridgewater Ma.
Is anyone familiar with their work?
Frank
Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Since it's a street car, and you live in a cooler place, your best bang for the buck easily is the Supercharger.

I have about the same money (or more) in my '08 LS3 in NA mods as the cost of an installed supercharger kit and I only gained about 130 rwhp and much of that is up top. For me, since I want a lightweight, non-overheating track car, this was exactly what I wanted.

But for you, Supercharger all the way.

PS. As an ex Liter bike rider myself, no car will ever come close. That's just the reality.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I have a liter bike, raced liter bakes, and my car easily clowns them. So saying no car will ever come close is SOOOOO wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
Detoxx03 (08-03-2017), HC Mechanic (08-05-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic LS3 C6
I want to add another 100-200 HP to my 2008 C6 and I want it to remain reliable. I only use it on the street but when I use it I drive it like a sport bike. My Corvette has the Z51, NPP and 3LT option package, is an A6 and currently has 8,300 miles on it. This is my first Corvette. It handles and goes well but just doesn't have enough punch. I've ridden 1000cc sport bikes for the last 14 years and the Corvette is a replacement for my motorcycle as I'm older and don't bend as well as I used to.
I've looked at the E-force superchargers and wondered how long the stock engine would last under forced induction with the stock 10.7 to 1 compression. The addition of another 100 lbs. to the engine compartment is another issue. The cost is around $8,000 plus installation and a high performance fuel pump depending on the blower kit.
I've looked at Jegs and other companies that offer LS3 crate motors and they have LS3 engines that make 525 HP for around $8,000.
Also, I thought that the installation of a cam, valve springs, CAI and long tube headers and a computer tune might get me around another 100 HP for around $4,000 in parts plus labor.
There is also a company in Texas that makes LS3 performance engines for around the same money. Are they worth it?
I've also thought about a complete engine rebuild on my current engine but think that it might be as waste as it only has 8,000 miles on it.

I want to make a wise choice when making the upgrade/upgrades and I'm looking for some solid advise so anything vendor or component specific would be helpful.
Thanks
you could have an A&A V3 TI trim installed and tuned for between $6,000. to $6,500. with lots of change left over from your $10,000. budget for extras.check out HPA in Delaware
Atomic LS3 C6 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Centri kit, headers, meth. Way below 10k and 700+rwhp if you want..
Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Centri blower best bang for buck.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Thanks
In my humble opinion, your objective would be best served by starting with some 1 7/8" long tube headers and a matching X-pipe, a healthy custom ground camshaft with ~230* intake and ~240* exhaust duration without too much (preferably <5*) overlap, so you can use it with a blower later, along with the necessary valvetrain kit, and then put a good converter in it, with the obligatory trans fluid cooler.
All of that will then be a good foundation for a blower kit, which you should have money left over for, when you get bored of the seriously enhanced performance that comes from the first round of mods.
And, most importantly, find a good reputable tuner than knows how to tune an A6 trans, i.e. Not one who rapes the MAF tables or disables the MAF because that will destroy your trans real quick, and then you'll have guys on here telling you that you shouldn't mess with those "junk", "sissy" A6 transmissions, and other such BS.
Good luck with it whatever you do, and please do a build thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by CI GS:
Atomic LS3 C6 (08-16-2017), HC Mechanic (08-05-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 04:55 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Since it's a street car, and you live in a cooler place, your best bang for the buck easily is the Supercharger.

I have about the same money (or more) in my '08 LS3 in NA mods as the cost of an installed supercharger kit and I only gained about 130 rwhp and much of that is up top. For me, since I want a lightweight, non-overheating track car, this was exactly what I wanted.

But for you, Supercharger all the way.

PS. As an ex Liter bike rider myself, no car will ever come close. That's just the reality.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

How long have you had the upgrade and how well is the engine and drive train holding up? Have you had to replace anything due to the large increase in HP?
A few years. Everything has held up great. Slowhawk does all my work.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the best performance upgrages for the LS 3 engine

Old 08-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Couple of ways to skin the cat,

GM offers a LS3 with ASA cam that will put out 525HP. It street drivable, but border line at best with that kind of surging low RPM's before the motor really want to come alive. To build your motor to the same, about the $3K mark.

Stock motor that way it's build, about 650HP is about the most you want to throw at the rods and pistons that your going to be on the power long term from road race lap to lap, and you can get there quickly with a Super charger with Meth kit alone.

A roots type blow (tvs-2300) will give you linear power from idle to redline (more road course drive-able since you are full torque from idle up), while a centrifugal blower comes on about mid RPM range to max rpms instead.

If the intent is to only use the power for short burst and more for drag strip type running, then a centrifugal type blower with meth kit would be the way to go. The reason for this, you only going to be running short term bursts for a few second each time, what the power at higher rpms, they are able to put out a lot more boost without being heat pumps at the higher pressure, and due to this, cranking the power up to over 700 on the stock motor parts for the short burst is not out of line.

Now just a FYI, before you strap a Blower on a stock motor and expect the piston to stay together for long times of heavy boost over at the 650HP+ mark, you have to pull the rings and increase the ring gaps. If you don't do this (leaves the gaps at say .006~.0010", instead of taking them to .020"~.0250"), what is going to happen with the amount of heat your throwing at the pistons rings, the rings are going to go to heat expand to zero gap to bind on the cylinder walls, and it going to end up with the heads of the pistons snapped off.
Note, the same happens when you are trying to spray too much NOS and the piston rings get too hot as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-04-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Ronald Koch Jr.
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Atomic
Horsepower Addicts in DE did my work. The price was less than $4500. I had headers high flow cats cai cam new timing chain and oil pump and tune. Car did 457 rwhp on the dyno with 425 tq. Not sure of mileage but have driven to KY and back since.

Ron

Last edited by Ronald Koch Jr.; 08-04-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Now just a FYI, before you strap a Blower on a stock motor and expect the piston to stay together for long times of heavy boost over at the 650HP+ mark, you have to pull the rings and increase the ring gaps. If you don't do this (leaves the gaps at say .006~.0010", instead of taking them to .020"~.0250"), what is going to happen with the amount of heat your throwing at the pistons rings, the rings are going to go to heat expand to zero gap to bind on the cylinder walls, and it going to end up with the heads of the pistons snapped off.
Note, the same happens when you are trying to spray too much NOS and the piston rings get too hot as well.

With proper octane and tuning you don't have to do any of this. I've been over 650 to the wheels for over 5 years. I don't putt putt around in it either.

Quick Reply: What are the best performance upgrages for the LS 3 engine