C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh... Is this the harmonic balancer?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 PM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
OK, so have you ever torque yielded bolts in your 40 years? What happens when you torque yield a bolt? Why is that different than just a torque value?

No cheating now....with 40 years, this should come right off the tip of your tongue.
Has he ever torqued a torque yield bolt is what you meant to say right? I know I shouldn't jump into this, but it's bugging me. And anyone who's replaced heads on a modern engine would have ran into these bolts. I think their more commonly called "one time use bolts".
Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,360 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by IansInGarage
Has he ever torqued a torque yield bolt is what you meant to say right? I know I shouldn't jump into this, but it's bugging me. And anyone who's replaced heads on a modern engine would have ran into these bolts. I think their more commonly called "one time use bolts".
Ummm...yeah, thanks. Really appreciate you jumping in...
Old 09-12-2017, 11:12 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Got my jack and jack stands yesterday. New belts and bolt are on standby. I'll be ordering the new SummitRacing HB in the next couple of days, but in the mean time, I plan to jack it up and start dismantling the steering rack and HB in the next day or two. I have a co-worker that has done HBs, cranks, and more on other cars - so, he has a lot of tools and the know-how if I need them.

For those that asked, mine definitely separated from the inner hub. I got in there with a flashlight and my cell phone and snapped a picture. I apparently deleted it or I'd throw it in here, but I'll snap a one after I get it out. Regardless, the bolt and inner hub are still in-place and tight; the outer ring has slipped forward a good 1/4-1/2" (hard to gauge exact spacing without having it removed).

Last edited by drew_c6; 09-14-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Uh... Is this the harmonic balancer?