C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke (Oil) on decel

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Smoke (Oil) on decel

I had some fun this morning with a white C7 (very nice car) by taking off from the traffic light in a high spirited manner. No laws broken - just 0-60 very quick and when we came to the next light I noticed a cloud on blueish smoke coming from the tail. It definitely smelled like burnt oil.
I have headers, catless x-pipe, corsa extreme mufflers, and a catch can.

I have done some searching and have pretty much concluded that I have either bad rings (need to do a compression check), or the valve guides/seals need to be replaced.

It only does this on decel and I am scheduling a cam upgrade with ECS at the end of this month along with the ATI harmonic balancer fix.

Any other suggestions and/or tips while it's at ECS?

Thank you as always!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually when you are getting blue smoke on decel it is valve seals. And that is because the intake valves opens and the throttle is closed and a relatively high vacuum is created that is trying to pull air, so one path is the intake valve guide and a blown seal will suck the oil and vapors from the engine. Hence the blue smoke. Of all the bad things a smoking engine is, this is the least hard to fix.

Last edited by TedG; 09-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

The valve guide seals will be replaced with the cam install anyway, but I think doing a quick leak down/compression test when we get in there to be 100% sure is a good idea. Most of the work to do that is going to be done for the cam install anyway.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:10 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by TedG
Usually when you are getting blue smoke on decel it is valve seals. And that is because the intake valves opens and the throttle is closed and a relatively high vacuum is created that is trying to pull air, so one path is the intake valve guide and a blown seal will suck the oil and vapors from the engine. Hence the blue smoke. Of all the bad things a smoking engine is, this is the least hard to fix.
Thank you - that's what I was hoping for too!
Old 09-05-2017, 01:11 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
The valve guide seals will be replaced with the cam install anyway, but I think doing a quick leak down/compression test when we get in there to be 100% sure is a good idea. Most of the work to do that is going to be done for the cam install anyway.
Great news and thank you very much!

Can't wait to get this scheduled and installed

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke (Oil) on decel

Quick Reply: Smoke (Oil) on decel