C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Owen MC
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues

I have a 2011 C6 Grandsport that seems to go into the reduced power mode with a check engine light when it rains or is washed. It isn't every time but has done it about 6 or 8 times in the last 2 years. Thinking about a grounding issue. Anybody have this problem?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Owen MC
I have a 2011 C6 Grandsport that seems to go into the reduced power mode with a check engine light when it rains or is washed. It isn't every time but has done it about 6 or 8 times in the last 2 years. Thinking about a grounding issue. Anybody have this problem?
post the code ..... Will help narrow down the list of what it could be .....
Old 09-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Owen MC
Cruising

code that came up is P2138.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

sorry for taking so long to respond

That code pertains to the throttle position sensor in the throttle body or the gas pedal ....

Really don't think that either is bad but .

Battery issues are known for causing this code also
have you tried to have the code reset ? Any auto parts store can reset it for you
Then see if you get it again

Dave
Old 09-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Owen MC
Cruising

Default Thanks for that info.

My SCT programmer can clear the code. But itt clears itself shortly after shutting down. I'll check the battery. I found out the TPS was involved but haven't heard anything about the battery causing this. I plan to swap the TPS out with the one from my other vette. Might try swapping the batteries first. TPS is on accelerator pedal. Gonna be a pain in the neck, back and everything else to get to. I'm 6' and 240 lbs. it's enough work just getting I the drivers seat. Much less standing on my head. Lol. Thank you for helping.

Owen

Originally Posted by Dcasole
sorry for taking so long to respond

That code pertains to the throttle position sensor in the throttle body or the gas pedal ....

Really don't think that either is bad but .

Battery issues are known for causing this code also
have you tried to have the code reset ? Any auto parts store can reset it for you
Then see if you get it again

Dave
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

My SCT programmer can clear the code. But itt clears itself shortly after shutting down. I'll check the battery. I found out the TPS was involved but haven't heard anything about the battery causing this. I plan to swap the TPS out with the one from my other vette. Might try swapping the batteries first. TPS is on accelerator pedal. Gonna be a pain in the neck, back and everything else to get to. I'm 6' and 240 lbs. it's enough work just getting I the drivers seat. Much less standing on my head. Lol. Thank you for helping.

Owen
Owen it could also be the position sensor on the throttle body ...the code is saying that something is out of sync either the pedal output or the throttle body sensor output

might need to use a GM TECH Two and do a Idle relearn ?

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Owen MC (10-15-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Owen MC
Cruising

Owen it could also be the position sensor on the throttle body ...the code is saying that something is out of sync either the pedal output or the throttle body sensor output

might need to use a GM TECH Two and do a Idle relearn ?

Dave
Dave,
I had a friend use his Snapon scanner to check the car after I cleaned the air filter, here I found the Volant intake badly deformed where it can't be seen. the part that the filter slips onto. It should have been sucking air past the filter here. I reformed it with a heat gun. the codes went away as did the check engine light. he also relearned the throttle body position and the crankshaft position. it was misfiring on alternating cylinders. no more misfire but I still have a jerking feeling when reducing speed and when going downhill. seems to be the worst at about 1500 to 1600 RPM. going to change the spark plugs next. have you or anyone else had this jerking feeling as the car is slowing down before? looking at other forums I've seen that the NGK TR55 is a good choice of plugs. others have had great performance from these plugs.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Dave,
I had a friend use his Snapon scanner to check the car after I cleaned the air filter, here I found the Volant intake badly deformed where it can't be seen. the part that the filter slips onto. It should have been sucking air past the filter here. I reformed it with a heat gun. the codes went away as did the check engine light. he also relearned the throttle body position and the crankshaft position. it was misfiring on alternating cylinders. no more misfire but I still have a jerking feeling when reducing speed and when going downhill. seems to be the worst at about 1500 to 1600 RPM. going to change the spark plugs next. have you or anyone else had this jerking feeling as the car is slowing down before? looking at other forums I've seen that the NGK TR55 is a good choice of plugs. others have had great performance from these plugs.
I would drive it for a while to see if that code comes back , the code you posted was for Throttle Position Sensor which is not only could be the gas pedal but also the sensor in throttle body

You air filter problem would have thrown a lean bank code if that was the issue ...

But this still could be your issue with the surging . a lot of aftermarket CAI will cause surging , The LS2 stock air box could also cause surging , GM added a HEMHOLTZ resonator to the LS3 air box to address this surging

As far as plugs , if the car is not modified I stick with the OEM plugs and heat range and just check them every now and then to make sure the TIPS are still there

Let us know what you find out

Dave
Old 10-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Owen MC
Cruising

I would drive it for a while to see if that code comes back , the code you posted was for Throttle Position Sensor which is not only could be the gas pedal but also the sensor in throttle body

You air filter problem would have thrown a lean bank code if that was the issue ...

But this still could be your issue with the surging . a lot of aftermarket CAI will cause surging , The LS2 stock air box could also cause surging , GM added a HEMHOLTZ resonator to the LS3 air box to address this surging

As far as plugs , if the car is not modified I stick with the OEM plugs and heat range and just check them every now and then to make sure the TIPS are still there

Let us know what you find out

Dave
Ok Dave I did have the lean code for both banks and the throttle body code. And it had started misfiring. After my friend did what he did and the filter housing repair all codes cleared and no more misfire. So I put in a new set of OEM plugs. I also swapped out the air intake with the one off my 2013 Grand sport which has the resonator on it and I still have the surging. Now it seems to actually be worse. I gapped all the plugs to .040. Any ideas? Next things I’m thinking about are the plug wires and the fuel filter.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

wow ... I am out of ideas ....could it be bad fuel ...did it just start to happen.., don't think wires are the problem as you would feel a miss not a surging ...

Dave
Old 10-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Owen MC
Cruising

wow ... I am out of ideas ....could it be bad fuel ...did it just start to happen.., don't think wires are the problem as you would feel a miss not a surging ...

Dave
Actually it’s been going on for a good while. My ex drives it. Just has gotten worse and she wants to trade it off. The Chevy dealer said I’d have to replace the factory air intake for them to figure it out. About $800.00 in just parts. I think that’s bs. Would you happen to know what the ohms resistance reading should be for the plug wires. Sho7ld all be the same being they’re all the same length.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 PM
z06sicz
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try cleaning the MAF sensor
Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Owen MC
Cruising

Originally Posted by z06sicz
I'd try cleaning the MAF sensor
I blew it out with some low press air. And I tried swapping it out with the one off my other car by just plugging it up with the code for lean on both banks and code wouldn’t clear. So I didn’t run down the road. Guess I’ll swap them again with the codes cleared and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Upsman84
Intermediate

Help!! New battery an got everything but starter? Won't turn over but everything else is great!! Won't turn over?? Please help!!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Upsman84
Help!! New battery an got everything but starter? Won't turn over but everything else is great!! Won't turn over?? Please help!!
you would be better off starting a new thread or Google C6 no start ...

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical issues

Quick Reply: Electrical issues