C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
External Engine Modifications LS2 (Bolt-Ons)
10.626 @ 126.98 - Dennis50NJ - 05 A4 Z51 - CAI, cb, conv, ewp, pfast, 3.73, hdr, ptb, tune, & more, DR

External Engine Modifications LS3 (Bolt-Ons)
10.802 @ 126.84 - HOXXOH - 08 A6 F55 - CAI, conv, ptb, Z06 Exhaust, tune, & more, DR

Number 1 each category and both with 1.75" primary tube headers.
Go fish!
Were the same cars slower with larger primary tube headers?
Old 09-30-2017, 03:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by nuke61
Both cars got those times with 1.75 primaries. Cars with larger primaries are farther down the list. It simply answered the statement from redbird555.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:21 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Both cars got those times with 1.75 primaries. Cars with larger primaries are farther down the list. It simply answered the statement from redbird555.
I understand now, I thought you were saying those cars were tested with larger primary headers too. Area under the curve.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

External Engine Modifications LS2 (Bolt-Ons)
10.626 @ 126.98 - Dennis50NJ - 05 A4 Z51 - CAI, cb, conv, ewp, pfast, 3.73, hdr, ptb, tune, & more, DR

External Engine Modifications LS3 (Bolt-Ons)
10.802 @ 126.84 - HOXXOH - 08 A6 F55 - CAI, conv, ptb, Z06 Exhaust, tune, & more, DR

Number 1 each category and both with 1.75" primary tube headers.
Go fish!
How is that an argument? If they swapped to larger headers maybe they'd go faster?

That has the same effect as "I run 8psi of boost and run xxx time if I made 10psi of boost I would probably slow down"
Old 09-30-2017, 09:30 PM
redbird555
Drifting

I understand now, I thought you were saying those cars were tested with larger primary headers too. Area under the curve.
Exactly...he's comparing different cars at different times. I really dont understand the point here? Who's to say those cars wouldn't be faster with bigger headers? The guy has no proof at all that larger headers slow you down....

Dyno comparisons prove him wrong and all the evidence he has is different cars with different mods at different tracks at different da and different times of the year are a little faster....is he really trying to cite the headers as the difference in times? Lmao
Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Exactly...he's comparing different cars at different times. I really dont understand the point here? Who's to say those cars wouldn't be faster with bigger headers? The guy has no proof at all that larger headers slow you down....

Dyno comparisons prove him wrong and all the evidence he has is different cars with different mods at different tracks at different da and different times of the year are a little faster....is he really trying to cite the headers as the difference in times? Lmao
You win , is that what you want to hear .....ok you win .......
Close thread.....
Dave​​​​​​​
Old 10-01-2017, 02:26 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

How is that an argument? If they swapped to larger headers maybe they'd go faster?
Try this for an argument. So maybe if the slower cars swapped to smaller headers they'd go quicker.

I really dont understand the point here?
Dyno comparisons prove him wrong
Obviously you don't understand and it's pretty simple. You stated "Literally no argument can be made for 1-3/4 headers" and I showed you two examples where cars with 1 3/4" headers led a field followed by cars with all sorts of exhaust systems. If bigger was better, then one of those other cars would be at the top.

I'm so sorry that I was wrong to not believe those sacred dyno charts that told me how wrong I was, but when Dennis (RIP) tried the bigger ones and then went back to small, it was like a beacon that I couldn't resist. The voices kept saying "bigger is not better'', "bigger is not better", "bigger is not better". And then it was just me and Dennis alone at the top, which showed the rest that the "bigger is not better" mantra is true.

The real question is: What did Dennis and I know that you haven't learned yet?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:28 AM
DonVito89
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you guys are great, I just wanted to figure out how to make my car loud AF and yall always hand out the best info. Thanks Fam!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:38 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Try this for an argument. So maybe if the slower cars swapped to smaller headers they'd go quicker.

The irony here is hilarious, you used the inverse of that argument saying "all the fastest cars run 1-3/4" but when I turned it around and said maybe they would be faster with 1-7/8 you refute it? lol
Obviously you don't understand and it's pretty simple. You stated "Literally no argument can be made for 1-3/4 headers" and I showed you two examples where cars with 1 3/4" headers led a field followed by cars with all sorts of exhaust systems. If bigger was better, then one of those other cars would be at the top.

Obviosly you dont understand....How are you going to compare different cars, with different mods, ran on different days and say fractions of a second in time difference are only because of the smaller headers? There is no way you can make that claim yet you sight that as some sort of credible source lol the thousands of variables there are impossible to consider.

I'm so sorry that I was wrong to not believe those sacred dyno charts that told me how wrong I was, but when Dennis (RIP) tried the bigger ones and then went back to small, it was like a beacon that I couldn't resist. The voices kept saying "bigger is not better'', "bigger is not better", "bigger is not better". And then it was just me and Dennis alone at the top, which showed the rest that the "bigger is not better" mantra is true.

The real question is: What did Dennis and I know that you haven't learned yet?
No need to apologize to me man everyone is wrong sometimes, maybe you can learn from this comparison.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how mods done on an A-B test that make mroe power would somehow slow a car down? I mean hell if parts that make mroe power dont make you faster then I guess we shouldnt do headers, heads, cam, intake etc. I mean after all its all just hearsay? lmao

Btw the fastest bolt m6 5th gen and bolt on fbodys run 2" headers. maybe you should tell them what they're missing out on man

Last edited by redbird555; 10-01-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

No need to apologize to me man everyone is wrong sometimes, maybe you can learn from this comparison.
Wow that came across as cocky !!
May I ask what qualifications you have ....other than a bunch of quotes from the internet ....which if it's on the internet it must be true ...right

Can you tell us about your real world testing and the logs that you kept with the results of what worked and what didnot ?? you do have many logs right ?

I am not sure why you are so hell bent on proving a point...and arguing with one of the best who has kept countless records of what works and what does not work (and before you start on me ..yes I do keep logs ..and I am running small tubes lol)

If you think Large Tubes work the best that's great .... you are entitled to your opinion but as HOXXOH points out it's about what makes the whole package work ....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 10-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Dennis did in fact try larger headers (at least on the dyno not certain if at the strip also) and it made his car weaker or slower, he went back to 1 3/4.
The following 2 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
Dcasole (10-01-2017), HOXXOH (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Apparently you missed the sarcasm.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how mods done on an A-B test that make mroe power would somehow slow a car down? I mean hell if parts that make mroe power dont make you faster then I guess we shouldnt do headers, heads, cam, intake etc. I mean after all its all just hearsay? lmao

You fail to understand the concept that it's not just one single thing that makes a car faster. Just because there is more protein in beans, is no reason to substitute them for the cherries on a banana split.

Btw the fastest bolt m6 5th gen and bolt on fbodys run 2" headers. maybe you should tell them what they're missing out on man

And all this time I thought we were talking about LS2/3 Vettes. Silly me.
I see you didn't acknowledge my question, which I assume has you baffled.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM
DonVito89
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're only consideration for the banana split it as a fuel source in the body, then you should absolutely substitute beans for cherries as the cherries contain too many carbohydrates and with the saturated fat in the cream it is very unhealthy. You want a more nutrient dense source of energy found in the beans. Substitute the ice cream for broccoli and chicken or better yet some tuna, and those syrups, for a dash of some soy sauce, and you got a pretty nice meal.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:47 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DonVito89
If you're only consideration for the banana split it as a fuel source in the body, then you should absolutely substitute beans for cherries as the cherries contain too many carbohydrates and with the saturated fat in the cream it is very unhealthy. You want a more nutrient dense source of energy found in the beans. Substitute the ice cream for broccoli and chicken or better yet some tuna, and those syrups, for a dash of some soy sauce, and you got a pretty nice meal.
Really!!! You talking all that food, hell I done had a foodgasm. lmao

Quick Reply: What size headers?