C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove battery cable assemby

Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Mediator7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to remove battery cable assemby

I am looking to install a new battery cable assembly on my 2005 C6 base. Its auto and the battery is in the factory location under the hood. Can this be done by just removing the battery and unhooking the cables or does it require a lot of disassembly of other parts and items? Especially the ground connection to the block? Looks quite snug in there. Thank you for any input.

Last edited by Mediator7; 09-18-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Mediator7
Racer

Originally Posted by Mediator7
I am looking to install a new battery cable assembly on my 2005 C6 base. Its auto and the battery is in the factory location under the hood. Can this be done by just removing the battery and unhooking the cables or does it require a lot of disassembly of other parts and items? Especially the ground connection to the block? Looks quite snug in there. Thank you for any input.
ttt
Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I did not look up the procedure.

I recall reading "somewhere" that the cat convert should be removed to access the cables that go toward the starter.

Yet, I CAN NOT confirm as perhaps an experience mechanic can "snake" the bolts/ nuts without part removal.

Just maybe....it might be best to have an independent shop install these parts for you.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Mediator7
Racer

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I did not look up the procedure.

I recall reading "somewhere" that the cat convert should be removed to access the cables that go toward the starter.

Yet, I CAN NOT confirm as perhaps an experience mechanic can "snake" the bolts/ nuts without part removal.

Just maybe....it might be best to have an independent shop install these parts for you.

Good luck.
Thank you. It definitely seems like it could be easier on a lift. This will probably be something I will delay for a bit. Doing it in my driveway may not work out too well. Lol
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I started to do it on mine and aborted pretty quick and decided to just cut the junk ends off and replace them with something more substantial. Both wires come as an assembly with some areas heat shrinked together if memory serves. I know you can not replace one without the other

Seems like you had to remove part of the exhaust to get to where it connects to the starter and maybe a ground over there too. For mine the cable ends were the only issue so I didn’t see any point in bothering with the rest

I can look up the actual GM procedure if you need it
The following users liked this post:
Mediator7 (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Mediator7
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I started to do it on mine and aborted pretty quick and decided to just cut the junk ends off and replace them with something more substantial. Both wires come as an assembly with some areas heat shrinked together if memory serves. I know you can not replace one without the other

Seems like you had to remove part of the exhaust to get to where it connects to the starter and maybe a ground over there too. For mine the cable ends were the only issue so I didn’t see any point in bothering with the rest

I can look up the actual GM procedure if you need it
If you have the procedure available that would be great! I think I could possibly do it on a lift but I dont have access to one here and even then not too sure. The previous owner installed cheap sidepost adapters and in the process cut it too short so the junction box connection wont index correctly. It works but its just not "right".
Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mediator7
If you have the procedure available that would be great! I think I could possibly do it on a lift but I dont have access to one here and even then not too sure. The previous owner installed cheap sidepost adapters and in the process cut it too short so the junction box connection wont index correctly. It works but its just not "right".
I have it as a PDF. Send me PM here and I can email it to you.

For the positive cable, it's about 14 steps, with diagrams for several of them showing where the parts and fasteners are located.

If you have a library card, and your public library has access to the EBSCO Auto Repair Reference Center, it's in that database. You might need a Galileo password, depending on your your public library's website is set up.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove battery cable assemby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove battery cable assemby