C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Dry sump owners - catch cans on clean side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts
Default LS3 Dry sump owners - catch cans on clean side?

Looking for input from those with the GS or similar setup.

Who has a dual catch can or a catch can + clean side oil separator setup installed?

Do you notice any oil in the clean side can? What kind of driving do you normally do?

From my reading, the clean side will never see any type of oil UNLESS:
1) you are wide open
2) the oil level is high enough in the sump tank to "burp"

Contemplating whether its worth the $100 or so for a EE oil separator...
Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

bumping. got a good deal on shipping so i picked one up.

From my check of my GS, i took off the line to inspect for oil: on the sump side, there was a decent amount coating the tube that i could wipe off. On the intake side, there was no oil i could wipe off but there was definitely remnants of old dried oil.

If youre on the fence too, check those lines.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:55 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I went with the Elite Engineering dual catch can setup for the ZR1, which I was told was overkill for a GS. I use the GS for track days / HPDEs and some daily driving, so I would much rather go overboard than underboard.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...zr1-ls9-4.html

When I was disconnecting tubes, the line I found to have the most oil was the one connected to the intake. I confirmed this when I peeked inside the throttle body and found oil pooled inside my intake manifold. Since the catch can install (and new intake mani install), there is no longer oil pooling.
The following users liked this post:
Ahrmike (09-28-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 05:46 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_W
I went with the Elite Engineering dual catch can setup for the ZR1, which I was told was overkill for a GS. I use the GS for track days / HPDEs and some daily driving, so I would much rather go overboard than underboard.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...zr1-ls9-4.html

When I was disconnecting tubes, the line I found to have the most oil was the one connected to the intake. I confirmed this when I peeked inside the throttle body and found oil pooled inside my intake manifold. Since the catch can install (and new intake mani install), there is no longer oil pooling.
From my understanding that makes sense since you would be under high G-load and at WOT a lot. The "clean" side starts pooling oil only when there is a vacuum in front of the throttle plate, which only occurs during WOT.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Dry sump owners - catch cans on clean side?

Quick Reply: LS3 Dry sump owners - catch cans on clean side?