C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Harmonic balancer--to pin or not to pin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:36 AM
rickmorris
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 Harmonic balancer--to pin or not to pin?

I've seen a lot of posts on the harmonic balancer problem, but can't find one that addresses my specific question. I'm going to replace my LS2 HB soon with a Summit Racing product. Shop says to pin the HB to the crank. I don't have a supercharger and don't race the car. They also mentioned "polishing" if the crank is galled by the old HB. Are these necessary?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I would pin if replacing. It will be a good "while you're there" kind of thing. The crank shouldn't be galled by the old one, that's not the way it typically fails.

One thing though, many aftermarket HB have a squared key way already made on it, unless you have an aftermarket crank with matching jetway, ignore it. Pin it on the opposite side of the crank snout.
The following users liked this post:
rickmorris (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:11 PM
rickmorris
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I would pin if replacing. It will be a good "while you're there" kind of thing. The crank shouldn't be galled by the old one, that's not the way it typically fails.

One thing though, many aftermarket HB have a squared key way already made on it, unless you have an aftermarket crank with matching jetway, ignore it. Pin it on the opposite side of the crank snout.
Do you know anyone who makes a pin kit? Summit Racing doesn't have one.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

You really don't need to pin it unless you are running a supercharger.
Especially if you are just rolling around on the street cruising and such there is nothing to gain by pinning it.
rickmorris (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:01 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Just replace.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:19 PM
89talon
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pin it. If you don't it can spin on the crankshaft. Mine started chirping a week after my ATI was installed. Mechanic pinned it no charge and it has been quiet ever since then.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
You really don't need to pin it unless you are running a supercharger.
Especially if you are just rolling around on the street cruising and such there is nothing to gain by pinning it.
If I was doing it myself I definitely would not pin it.

If I was having it done by a mechanic I would consider it (one less potential problem) if the price was reasonable. GM doesn't pin so I think that should be OK for normal use. All the failures that I've heard about are the balancer outer ring and inner ring separating.

Last edited by Dutch08; 10-02-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Pin it!!!!!!

I have the ati kit but you can just drill a 1/8 " hole and put a piece of dowel in from lowes. It's too big of a job To leave off such an easy upgrade.

QUOTE=Dutch08;1595685411] If I was doing it myself I definitely would not pin it.

If I was having it done by a mechanic I would consider it (one less potential problem) if the price was reasonable. GM doesn't pin so I think that should be OK for normal use. All the failures that I've heard about are the balancer outer ring and inner ring separating.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-02-2017, 10:07 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

There are two pining methods (parallel) and perpendicular. Use parallel and have to remove damper. You will never align crank and damper again. You'll have to drill both a second time.

Perpendicular pining allows pins to enter Key way in damper and be replaced like you would normally. again and again!!!

While not listed i think works on LS3 engines also

http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/ATI918993.html

Last edited by HK770; 10-02-2017 at 10:13 PM.
fyrcaptain (08-12-2023)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:13 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Pin it

Originally Posted by Dutch08
If I was doing it myself I definitely would not pin it.

If I was having it done by a mechanic I would consider it (one less potential problem) if the price was reasonable. GM doesn't pin so I think that should be OK for normal use. All the failures that I've heard about are the balancer outer ring and inner ring separating.
GM does not pin it because they use a dew washer on the hb.you could double pin it in 15 minutes.most of the after market hb's are not finish machined to use the GM dew.use emery cloth to clean up crank snout if need be.the pinning will be a little extra insurance to prevent hb from spinning on crank at very minimal cost.I prefer ATI's pinning method that is 90 degrees to the crank and easily removed and reinstalled with a hb that has a keyway as most of the after market hb's do

Last edited by irok; 10-03-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:35 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

When ECS was installing my SC the mechanic did what he called a trick when pining the HB. He didn’t drop the steering rack but losened up something (perhaps motor mount) and jacked up the motor? Not really 100% sure but he did but pinned the HB in no time at all! He lol’d when I asked how did you do that so fast. That mechanic installed my SC start to finish in about 8 hours and had it all buttoned up. Doug dyno tuned the next day as it was getting late with the SC and other new items installed that day. I guess when you have the knowledge and all the right tools for doing the job a good mechanic can do wonders. Time is money..... Doug also road tested my vette after he dyno’d it and burned up 1/2 tank of fuel... not sure I want to know what he put my through! lol I will say
Old 08-03-2023, 09:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

he ran a screw into the front of the crank
Old 08-03-2023, 09:48 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
he ran a screw into the front of the crank
Perhaps that’s what he did but he had some jig and then drilled into the HB as I watched him. Then he put a pin into it which I could see.... didn’t look like a screw but rather a pin!
Old 08-03-2023, 10:01 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

I am planning to use the perpendicular pin and I have the kit. I am also planning to make a key to go behind the pin and fill the keyway more completely. By my measure the pin has the same diameter as the keyway in the HB so you will likely have a space between the block and the pin if you do the install and then force some silicone in from the front to prevent leaks. I don't believe that the space would actually create a problem and I have not heard of a resulting leak but I use belt and suspenders when I am doing the work because I don't want to ever do the job again.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Harmonic balancer--to pin or not to pin?

Quick Reply: C6 Harmonic balancer--to pin or not to pin?