C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Factory BOSE headunit with Kenwood, sounds terrible

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Rnalecz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced Factory BOSE headunit with Kenwood, sounds terrible

I just recently swapped out my BOSE headunit with a 9903s Kenwood unit by using PAC-RP5-GM11 harness and I can't seem to get the sound system to sound like used to with the BOSE in my C6 Z06. I have all stock speakers and amps. A lot of people complain about the BOSE sound system but with bass all the way up and treble half way up, it sounds a lot better than the Kenwood. Can someone please help me or share their input/equilizers/settings? I'm very unhappy with it right now and I can't enjoy my car.

Last edited by Rnalecz; 10-11-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:31 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

What about it sounds terrible? Not enough bass? Too much? Distortion? Be more specific.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

i think it has to do with the speakers in the doors, they are bose driven and aftermarket head units dont mesh with them. im pretty sure bose has to have all BOSE components to work correctly

usually people re wire from unit to speaker or put new speakers in the doors when replacing the factory unit.

aftermarket door speakers are pretty inexpensive
Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnalecz
I just recently swapped out my BOSE headunit with a 9903s Kenwood unit by using PAC-RP5-GM11 harness and I can't seem to get the sound system to sound like used to with the BOSE in my C6 Z06. I have all stock speakers and amps. A lot of people complain about the BOSE sound system but with bass all the way up and treble half way up, it sounds a lot better than the Kenwood. Can someone please help me or share their input/equilizers/settings? I'm very unhappy with it right now and I can't enjoy my car.
Can't remember if the RP5-GM11 does this, but you must account for the amp if using the high/speaker level wires. The signal must be mitigated or go the RCA route to prevent excessive volume, white noise and distortion.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM
nuke61
Drifting

I had my Bose head unit replaced with a Pioneer 4200 NEX and while it doesn't sound great, it sounds as good or better than stock - with stock speakers.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Like other's have said, the factory Blows radio has it's own amp it goes through. You need the radio module wired up as well in order for it to work correctly.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...65409321072950
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Rnalecz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bass doesn't seem to hit like it used to, it's either not enough or just seems to distort very easily. I noticed I can make it stop the distort if I turn up "Stage EQ" to high but then it still doesn't hit as hard and the system doesn't get as loud as it used to. Nuke I hear that all the time. Did it sound good/better than stock immediately after installation? What harness did you use? All Kenwood default eqs/settings it sounded awful. After spending days playing with it I was able to get it slightly worse than stock.

What do you mean by rewire from unit to speaker? On the RP5-GM11. I connected all the same color wires to the matching wires and input the pin connector into the "factory amplified" spot.

"you must account for the amp if using the high/speaker level wires. The signal must be mitigated or go the RCA route to prevent excessive volume, white noise and distortion." does this not occur with matching and connecting the wires. Is there additional information on this anywhere? I can't seem to locate anything on installing a headunit on the Corvette forum.

@Ohshift the radio module combined with the RP5-GM11? Or is this another harness that would replace the RP5-GM11 and is known to work better?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the Kenwood 9902 HU installed and upgraded the OEM Bose rear speakers The Kenwood replaced the OEM Bose and I have all of the correct harnesses and PAC controller from a forum vendor. The FM radio still sounds pretty bad. If you use your phone for Pandora or Google streaming music the sound quality gets better. Their are a lot of sound settings in the Kenwood HU. You will have to search for all of the settings such as speaker sizes, speaker locations and front/rear speaker base/treble and many other settings.
The following users liked this post:
F_55mph (07-07-2023)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Sphurley
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Just put is a Kenwood using the RP5,, You likely don't have the plug in the right place on the RP5, their directions are poor. There are two places to plug into the RP5, one for with bose and one for no amp.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Nuke I hear that all the time. Did it sound good/better than stock immediately after installation?
Yes, immediately after install. I paid to have the work done, so I'll have to see if the details are on the receipt.

Found it. What it lists is:
  • 4200 NEX
  • Siruis XM SXV300
  • Metra GM Multi Kit 95-3304
  • Metra GM 85-13 Into Car 40-GM10
  • PAC Radio Interface RP4-GM11
  • Rydeen Mini-camera CM-R100

Last edited by nuke61; 10-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Sphurley
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nuke61
Yes, immediately after install. I paid to have the work done, so I'll have to see if the details are on the receipt.

Found it. What it lists is:
  • 4200 NEX
  • Siruis XM SXV300
  • Metra GM Multi Kit 95-3304
  • Metra GM 85-13 Into Car 40-GM10
  • PAC Radio Interface RP4-GM11
  • Rydeen Mini-camera CM-R100
RP4-GM11 is NOT meant for the BOSE system, they should have used the RP5-GM11. You paid for this and got this kind of work?
I am installing a Kenwook CNX994s using the RP5-GM11 and it sound grear. Just finishing installing the front camera, rear is already done.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:53 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sphurley
RP4-GM11 is NOT meant for the BOSE system, they should have used the RP5-GM11. You paid for this and got this kind of work?
I was asked if I wanted to use OnStar, and if I did, the adapter would cost a bit more - I'm guessing the RP5 supports OnStar and the RP4 doesn't. What I know is that it works great; I can control the stereo from my wheel controls, and it sounds good.

According the the PAC website, either will work with an '09 Corvette, along with several other possibilities, depending on exactly what features want to maintain.

https://pac-audio.com/?fc=module&mod...mp-sbv-submit=

Old 09-08-2021, 08:15 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you ever found and answer. I have the same setup. Pulled factory radio and installed new HU along with RP-GM11. I plugged the line level speaker output into pin outlet on PAC that says "Bose or Amp'd system". Everything works fine but the audio has a weird distortion. Loud music sounds okay but voice like from podcast sounds terrible. I've tried ajusting EQ but nothing helps. It may be some kind of impeadence issue with the amp but I'm out of ideas. So if you found a solution aside from ripping out Bose amp and speakers to replace the entire system I'd appreciate it. The amp and speakers are still in good shape so I'd like to see if I can get HU working with BOSE amp and speakers.

TIA

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced Factory BOSE headunit with Kenwood, sounds terrible

Quick Reply: Replaced Factory BOSE headunit with Kenwood, sounds terrible