C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Light Removal along with Cut Shroud for more air?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Fog Light Removal along with Cut Shroud for more air?

Has anyone removed their fog lights in conjunction with a cut open shroud to gain more fresh air?

I had my passenger fog light fall out yesterday or just backed out of its bumper area ... I didn't realize this until I got home while out on a drive but the car was pulling harder than ever!!

I have since fixed it and now the feel and power doesn't feel the same.. back to as it was before...

Cutting open the shroud made a HUGE difference back when I did it and now this added opening has created an even more stronger feel to the car...

That was just the passenger side that had backed out... not even fully removed...

I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with removing both sides and it's impact...

I have a BTR-4 cammed car so anymore air I can feed it the better...

Appreciate the feedback!!
Old 10-15-2017, 05:23 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Probably best to get a true ram air cai. I replaced my fog bulbs with some ultra bright bulbs from a vender on here and they light up the road like you wouldn't believe.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:36 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Opened them both up and there is a huge difference in air flow... The tune may be leaned out a tad now...

Oil Temps- raise quicker Z51 car 199-201 normal- 217 easy
Coolant Temps- seem to be the same but haven't sat in any heavy traffic

FYI... More Air- More Fuel- More Power
Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

The foglight openings from removing the fog lights actually don't get a lot of air passing through them. The foglights are wrapped to the side of the car far enough the air is just moving around that section.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:52 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I need to pull my fog light housings for another purpose. I can't find a good write up. Did you have a guide you used?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Fog lights are a low pressure area and get little to no air-flow into them. Sorry to burst your bubble. You'd need to modify the openings with some form of air-redirecting "catcher" in order for them to be effective at creating positive pressure (see photo), or find a way to create negative pressure behind the inlets themselves in order to suck air in.

Katech deals in TIkT parts, so call them if you really want to increase airflow w/their goodies.

Last edited by R_W; 10-17-2017 at 07:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by R_W:
Bluewheelz (08-30-2018), mikeCsix (02-19-2022), Tomislav63 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doomi
I need to pull my fog light housings for another purpose. I can't find a good write up. Did you have a guide you used?
You should just be able to unbolt a few things underneath and reach your arm up in there. If you need to remove them completely, it is much easier to just remove the entire bumper to provide for a better workspace. This guide provided by A&A is helpful.

https://www.aacorvette.com/pdf/aa_c6_fascia_removal.pdf
The following users liked this post:
WKM (10-27-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Can you redirect the brake ducts ?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

I beg to differ... appreciate the feedback... However, the amount of fresh air gained by removing the fogs is substantial...

It leaned out my current tune and more fuel was added for quite the butt dyno improvement..

Removal is easy 16 total fasteners & small bolts
Old 10-20-2017, 01:55 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
Fog lights are a low pressure area and get little to no air-flow into them. Sorry to burst your bubble. You'd need to modify the openings with some form of air-redirecting "catcher" in order for them to be effective at creating positive pressure (see photo), or find a way to create negative pressure behind the inlets themselves in order to suck air in.

Katech deals in TIkT parts, so call them if you really want to increase airflow w/their goodies.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by demon340
Can you redirect the brake ducts ?
There's better ways to do that... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595729050
Old 10-20-2017, 02:09 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
I beg to differ... appreciate the feedback... However, the amount of fresh air gained by removing the fogs is substantial...

It leaned out my current tune and more fuel was added for quite the butt dyno improvement..

Removal is easy 16 total fasteners & small bolts
What CAI are you running? Leak in the CAI system somewhere maybe? What little air is coming in through those fog light openings...I just don't see that being diverted up and over to the air intake. Opening the shroud area...yes. That's a high pressure area. Fogs...not so much.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Not only is there very little airflow through the fog light openings but with the fender liners and such there is no easy and direct way for the air that is let in to get to the area where the air filter is.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Not only is there very little airflow through the fog light openings but with the fender liners and such there is no easy and direct way for the air that is let in to get to the area where the air filter is.
it's not about forced air... It's about more fresh air..
You will notice the straight shot down to the radiator area where the car picks up its air...

I think it's a different story because I have my shroud cut in a rectangle opening up the filter to the ground pretty much...

Stock shroud un-cut I can see where you are coming from...
Old 10-20-2017, 02:54 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

If somehow the removal of the fog lights have somehow increased the consumption of fresh air by the engine, especially if you have modified the radiator shroud as well to give a path for additional fresh air to enter into the air filter plenum area over stock, something else is wrong. If you have HP Tuners, it would be a fairly simple test for you to monitor the MAP signal with both the fog lights installed and removed, to see what your manifold pressure readings are. If you see a vacuum in the CAI with the fog lights installed, then remove the fogs and you see a decrease in vacuum (or a positive reading), then you've got something to work with.

REmoving the fog lights, while located in a low pressure zone of the front end, is going to increase the underhood air pressure causing lift on the front end of your car, as the trapped air has no place to exhaust from.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:20 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
You should just be able to unbolt a few things underneath and reach your arm up in there. If you need to remove them completely, it is much easier to just remove the entire bumper to provide for a better workspace. This guide provided by A&A is helpful.

https://www.aacorvette.com/pdf/aa_c6_fascia_removal.pdf
Thank you!! I do need to remove them completely. I really appreciate your help!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:19 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doomi
Thank you!! I do need to remove them completely. I really appreciate your help!
You're welcome! That's what we (the forum) are here for!

Get notified of new replies

To Fog Light Removal along with Cut Shroud for more air?

Quick Reply: Fog Light Removal along with Cut Shroud for more air?