C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY porting on intake and TB

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Default DIY porting on intake and TB

Hello, waiting to get my heads back from AHP (street port and polish) and wanted to port my intake manifold an tb as I have time to do any extra things. I decided to Retain my stock cam. Anyone done this, is there any DIY vids or instructions on doing this? I have a Dremel tool. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Can't say that I have any instructions to pass along - but..

Ported TB:

Vmax - talk to Pete - http://vmaxmotorsports.com/

Ported Intake - best to have it done:

Gwatney, do Radius rod and porting - https://gwatneyperformance.com/cam-t...nifold-testing

TB and Manifold from Peak Speed Shop - but they do not do the Radius Rods, but they do a RADICAL port job on the manifold as an option.

http://www.peakspeedshop.com/

Thanks,Matt
The following users liked this post:
hotrod03 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Post be long here but you asked...

Porting plastic and aluminum is very easy and any one with basic air flow understanding can do it.

I call it the freebies when I first got my '11 gs i removed the throttle body and intake manifold and went to work.

There was only the intake manifold and throttle body porting match port the intakes on the heads on the car (sense the ports were rite there exposed) an Airaid cold air intake that came with the car and then filled up the tank and tuned it on e85 the A6 car made 406 whp and 397 tq without headers so it was running out of breath at 5,500 rpms so we set the shift points to 5,500 till I could get the headers, the tuner said the car runs amazing it did, how much money involved? about 35. to fill up the tank with E85.

The dremel is the wrong tool for the job in my opinion you need 1/4 inch shaft bits and sanding drums in order to get far enough into the runners a hand drill with at list 2000 rpm capable will do the job.

So here we go;
Put head gasket and heads on torq to about 30 lbs. using 3 main bolts (at center of the heads) one at front meddle and back using machinist blue ink or at list a black sharpie to color the area around the intake ports starting just below the base of valve cover curve to about 1/2 inch below it, take a 90 degree square and scribe the line above the intake ports walls on all 8 ports, you want really fine lines here.

You just need to know exactly where the intake ports start and end.

Precision is key here after all you are taking on the job of an expert.

Install intake with gaskets and tight all bolts then transfer the lines on the heads to the top of the intake, remove the intake and using the square trace, the lines down the side of the manifold ports this is call port matching, if you don't do this you will say like the rest (there's no hp gain in porting)

Here is a warning; You must live about half the thickness of the side of the intake gasket retainer wall the critical area is at the bottom of the gasket grove, too thin and will brake off and the compress gasket will push it out into the port, is only about a 1/16 of an inch but is hard to live with it in your head lol.

You will see the ports are not 90 degree as they should be so getting them as close as you can is where the gain is and there's enough there to get the job done.

Same applies to the top and bottom of the ports, run a straight line across the top and the bottom of the ports you will see one end is lower get em all even with the line.

Clean all intake ports to about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch deep be sure to feel the port walls with your finger tips to not thin walls too much.

Sounds complicated it is not take the plunge you'll be glad you did.

Keys understanding taking your time and enjoying know this is not a 1/2 hour job it will take more than is necessary on the first job but this too is necessary.
The following users liked this post:
hotrod03 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:51 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Porting plastic and aluminum is very easy and any one with basic air flow understanding can do it.

I call it the freebies when I first got my '11 gs i removed the throttle body and intake manifold and went to work.

There was only the intake manifold and throttle body porting match port the intakes on the heads on the car (sense the ports were rite there exposed) an Airaid cold air intake that came with the car and then filled up the tank and tuned it on e85 the A6 car made 406 whp and 397 tq without headers so it was running out of breath at 5,500 rpms so we set the shift points to 5,500 till I could get the headers, the tuner said the car runs amazing it did, how much money involved? about 35. to fill up the tank with E85.

The dremel is the wrong tool for the job in my opinion you need 1/4 inch shaft bits and sanding drums in order to get far enough into the runners a hand drill with at list 2000 rpm capable will do the job.

So here we go;
Put head gasket and heads on torq to about 30 lbs. using 3 main bolts (at center of the heads) one at front meddle and back using machinist blue ink or at list a black sharpie to color the area around the intake ports starting just below the base of valve cover curve to about 1/2 inch below it, take a 90 degree square and scribe the line above the intake ports walls on all 8 ports, you want really fine lines here.

You just need to know exactly where the intake ports start and end.

Precision is key here after all you are taking on the job of an expert.

Install intake with gaskets and tight all bolts then transfer the lines on the heads to the top of the intake, remove the intake and using the square trace, the lines down the side of the manifold ports this is call port matching, if you don't do this you will say like the rest (there's no hp gain in porting)

Here is a warning; You must live about half the thickness of the side of the intake gasket retainer wall the critical area is at the bottom of the gasket grove, too thin and will brake off and the compress gasket will push it out into the port, is only about a 1/16 of an inch but is hard to live with it in your head lol.

You will see the ports are not 90 degree as they should be so getting them as close as you can is where the gain is and there's enough there to get the job done.

Same applies to the top and bottom of the ports, run a straight line across the top and the bottom of the ports you will see one end is lower get em all even with the line.

Clean all intake ports to about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch deep be sure to feel the port walls with your finger tips to not thin walls too much.

Sounds complicated it is not take the plunge you'll be glad you did.

Keys understanding taking your time and enjoying know this is not a 1/2 hour job it will take more than is necessary on the first job but this too is necessary.
Great info thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To DIY porting on intake and TB

Quick Reply: DIY porting on intake and TB