C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under drive or over drive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Default Under drive or over drive pulley

Hey guys: What does a UD or OD pulley do for performance or?..I have a 2008 cam,headers,ported TB,intake and tune for street use.Thanks for any inputs.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:39 AM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not a pulley or car expert by any means at all. But Underdrive slow down the accessories to make more power that sounds like what you need for your setup if you get one. It will make the care rev faster also.

The Overdrive pulley I know is for people with high power stereo systems and I want to say people with supercharged applications but I could be total wrong about the Overdrive pulley.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 02:40 AM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

UD gives you quick throttle response.OD mainly us for Forced Induction.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:16 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

It does nothing you can really feel. On a 400HP engine, increasing it 5-7HP or so is only 1-2% and that's probably only at peak power way up in the 5000RPM range. Pretty high up there where you're really not sitting hours on end. There's no way you can feel that though it might show up on a dyno curve.

If you've changed your cam, intake, injectors, exhaust, heads, etc. and you've taken your 400HP LS2 up to 599HP and need that extra 1 to get you to 600, by all means do it. But if you are expecting actual performance gains, you'll be disappointed.

But if you're buying some nicely anodized colorful ones to pretty up the engine, there's no harm in also getting an underdrive set just for the heck of it.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:01 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I’ve got an UD pulley and it’s a pain because it almost always triggers the service charging system code on your car unless you get a high-output alternator. Please take it from somebody who had one and don’t get it! Please don’t I don’t wish this annoying problem on my worst enemy you will NEVER feel the power difference.. best of luck to you brother!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
It does nothing you can really feel. On a 400HP engine, increasing it 5-7HP or so is only 1-2% and that's probably only at peak power way up in the 5000RPM range. Pretty high up there where you're really not sitting hours on end. There's no way you can feel that though it might show up on a dyno curve.

If you've changed your cam, intake, injectors, exhaust, heads, etc. and you've taken your 400HP LS2 up to 599HP and need that extra 1 to get you to 600, by all means do it. But if you are expecting actual performance gains, you'll be disappointed.

But if you're buying some nicely anodized colorful ones to pretty up the engine, there's no harm in also getting an underdrive set just for the heck of it.
Is it he balancer pulley we are talking about?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Primarily to spin the blower faster by increasing the HB to blower pulley ratio...maintains the same belt wrap on the blower pulley to.

Originally Posted by jaybee924
The Overdrive pulley I know is for people with high power stereo systems and I want to say people with supercharged applications but I could be total wrong about the Overdrive pulley.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:43 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Hey guys: What does a UD or OD pulley do for performance or?..I have a 2008 cam,headers,ported TB,intake and tune for street use.Thanks for any inputs.
Short version, either slows down the spinning of the OEM alternator to cause charging problems at idle, or over spins the OEM alternator at top RPM's to cause it to crack a coil winding cage, taking out the alternator instead.

Also to point out, if you have heating problems as idle now, slowing down the water pump spinning at idle is not in your best interest as well.

As for super chargers, 99% of the time you can resolve that with just the pulley on the SC alone to either create more or less boost isntead.

In some instances with a TVS-2300 that you are trying to max out at top RPM(ring as much pressure out of the unit), you can only use so small of a pulley on the SC, and then have to over size the lower HB pulley. If you are using the stock oem alternator, then change the pulley on it to get it spin normally with the larger HB pulley so you don't under spin it at idle to have charging problems, or over spin it at max RPM as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-25-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Cherokee Nation (11-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Under drive or over drive pulley

Quick Reply: Under drive or over drive pulley