C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: RWHP Sweet Spot
<500rwhp
15.00%
500-600rwhp
35.00%
600-700rwhp
35.00%
700-800rwhp
10.00%
800-900rwhp
3.75%
1000+rwhp
1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

RWHP Sweet Spot

Old 11-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
This thread has mutated from sweet spot to max effort real-QIK.

I guess all depends on how much reliability versus risk are you willing to tolerate.

Perhaps there are other worthy factors to consider like weight and complexity, working on an accessible and simple to work on car can be very satisfying is important to me this time around after previous full on supercharged and turbo builds.
What do you mean by the max effort comment?

The question was more focused on where does the C6 platform perform the best? Maybe they CAN make 1400-1500HP, but are they constantly breaking? Are they any faster than a 800HP c6 due to not having any traction?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:11 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I just had mine tuned. It made 675 with a cam, ecs kit with meth and exhaust thru a 6l80. I feel like that is gonna perfect for a weekend cruiser that I take to the dragstrip a few times a year. Much higher than that and it seems like nothing but problems.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

750-850 is a good spot.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

Our "happiest customers" are right around the 700 rwhp area. It is the area with the best HP per dollar spent.

We have literally hundreds of cars on the road in this range and they have an incredibly low failure rate.

Our base kit, headers, meth injection and a drag radial and your dipping into the 9's on a good air day.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Our "happiest customers" are right around the 700 rwhp area. It is the area with the best HP per dollar spent.

We have literally hundreds of cars on the road in this range and they have an incredibly low failure rate.

Our base kit, headers, meth injection and a drag radial and your dipping into the 9's on a good air day.
What sized pulley?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:42 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Ran my car with 600-780 for a few years. Now 1000 for 2 seasons. Have had no difference in reliability. Been great right through.
The extra hp is no trouble but is useless on the street.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:45 AM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Ran my car with 600-780 for a few years. Now 1000 for 2 seasons. Have had no difference in reliability. Been great right through.
500 hp can put you in 10s or dam close.....
Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by fisher auto
500 hp can put you in 10s or dam close.....
I run 10's with a whole lot less rwhp. Last dyno showed a max of 394 just weeks before a string of 10.80 to 11.00 at the track.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
This thread has mutated from sweet spot to max effort real-QIK.

I guess all depends on how much reliability versus risk are you willing to tolerate.

Perhaps there are other worthy factors to consider like weight and complexity, working on an accessible and simple to work on car can be very satisfying is important to me this time around after previous full on supercharged and turbo builds.
LOL I totally agree. Went from that to I want so much power I need to change platforms

I myself am running passed 620rwhp N/A (ls7) have maybe 250 passes on the car (most of which were my drag racing noob learning curve) and haven't broken anything except a clutch and slave. Everything else has held together with drag radials and tons of 1.40x 60fts
Old 12-03-2017, 01:54 AM
Limitless100
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpmextra
LOL I totally agree. Went from that to I want so much power I need to change platforms

I myself am running passed 620rwhp N/A (ls7) have maybe 250 passes on the car (most of which were my drag racing noob learning curve) and haven't broken anything except a clutch and slave. Everything else has held together with drag radials and tons of 1.40x 60fts
I wanted a 1000rwhp car when initially thinking about the corvette. I've since learned that I am wanting the wrong thing with the wrong car. Still want a vette, but trying to see where people are the happiest. My guess was the best balance was going to be 700-800. What else has been built on your car?

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Yeah, the key to that is the last sentence. Doesn't seem like pushing past 800 makes much difference on the street for most of the Corvettes. They do extremely well at 700-850.

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

Great hearing from you. Backs up what I was guestimating was going to be the best spot to aim for. Do you agree that the 800-850ish level is about to most a tall drag radial C6 is going to be able to use on the road without it being totally useless? What is your base kit? And what power level does it put you at?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:05 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Limitless100
I wanted a 1000rwhp car when initially thinking about the corvette. I've since learned that I am wanting the wrong thing with the wrong car. Still want a vette, but trying to see where people are the happiest. My guess was the best balance was going to be 700-800. What else has been built on your car?
Nothing has been built on the car. stock block, stock trans, stock diff, stock axles. You originally asked about a so called sweet spot where to me seems like the question should have been " How realistic is making 1000rwhp reliable?" That being said there are tons of 1000hp vettes running around and to the platforms defence, probably doing so better than any other realistically priced comparable car. Realistic meaning not a P1 or something.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:12 AM
Limitless100
Instructor

Nothing has been built on the car. stock block, stock trans, stock diff, stock axles. You originally asked about a so called sweet spot where to me seems like the question should have been " How realistic is making 1000rwhp reliable?" That being said there are tons of 1000hp vettes running around and to the platforms defence, probably doing so better than any other realistically priced comparable car. Realistic meaning not a P1 or something.
That's pretty impressive, wow. What times are you getting?

Lol....what exactly are you talking about...? Nowhere in this thread did I ask how to make 1000rwhp reliable. I simply stated that I don't feel a Corvette is the car to go with if I want to push 1000+ rwhp and be fast. CAN it make 1000 easily, absolutely. Define realistically priced, then I can respond. Being that your example for "unrealistic" jumps to a $1.5-3 million dollar vehicle, there is quite the gap.

To name a few directly around the Corvette, mustangs are making 1000+ easier and cheaper. They don't look as good, but..that's not what your talking about. Vipers, not cheaper, but not too much more expensive. Supra, very similar price maybe a bit more. I would rank them above as well. Now you can include fox bodies and F body camaros too, all cheaper. Now if I can start jumping into the 6 figure range, you get to the GTR/R8/Gallardo/Huracan/Porsche world. In which, they are the undisputed kings.

Last edited by Limitless100; 12-03-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:25 AM
Limitless100
Instructor

To clarify, I'm not talking down on the corvette platform in general, before people start having heart attacks reading above ^^^

I name cheaper ways to push 1000+ and be just as fast if not faster. And ways to push 1000+ that in my opinion make FAR more sense than a corvette, most of which are more expensive. The key to the second half is the beauty of AWD! I think Viper and Supra are the exception, they seem to do phenomenal even in that high range.

The point of this thread has nothing to do with what is the better 1000hp car...it was to see what people feel is the best power level for the corvette. So let's get back on topic...

Last edited by Limitless100; 12-03-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:45 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That's pretty impressive, wow. What times are you getting?

Lol....what exactly are you talking about...? Nowhere in this thread did I ask how to make 1000rwhp reliable. I simply stated that I don't feel a Corvette is the car to go with if I want to push 1000+ rwhp and be fast. CAN it make 1000 easily, absolutely. Define realistically priced, then I can To name a few directly around the Corvette, mustangs are making 1000+ easier and cheaper. They don't look as good, but..that's not what your talking about. Vipers, not cheaper, but not too much more expensive. I would rank them above as well. Now you can include fox bodies and F body camaros too, all cheaper. Now if I can start jumping into the 6 figure range, you get to the GTR/R8/Gallardo/Huracan/Porsche world. In which, they are the undisputed kings.
So far PB is 10.14 but should be faster had it not been for some issues

I am simply stating that asking for a so called sweet spot will in turn give you many many different responses given peoples experiences. There`s a few factors missing from your wants/needs.
Do you just want x amount of power? Are you drag racing only or mainly? If so do you have a ET goal? Are we wanting to compare Money vs HP? Reliability at x HP? Are you concerned about the cars reaction to the power as in the chassis limitations? could probably narrow this discussion way down knowing what it is exactly what you`d like form the car

Mustangs are pony cars not sports cars and given there weight, require more power to match performance. Have a friend with a 2012 shelby with fully built diff, trans, new bigger blower, cams and more went 10.20 after spending $$$$$$ only to fall short to my friend Alex with a 06Z running cam and bolt-ons only hitting 10.00@141.

Your other cars on the list are quite expensive and not cheap to modify nor to repair. Do you have any idea what a GTRs transmission is worth? All nice cars though. That being said this can go back and forth forever. If you wanted a 1000rwhp I think you have the right platform to start with. I have no idea what you are used to as far as driving goes but that is way more power than what most people understand. Sweet spot is whatever people feel comfortable with. there's a 2300hp blue vette on youtube that apparently drives on the street lol. Guess it would be easier to understand your goals 100% and then see what would be the best path for that goal, then compare that to other platforms. I am confident if you did the math on all platforms mentioned the vette would be more cost effective. respond. Being that your example for "unrealistic" jumps to a $1.5-3 million dollar vehicle, there is quite the gap.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:07 AM
Limitless100
Instructor

So far PB is 10.14 but should be faster had it not been for some issues

I am simply stating that asking for a so called sweet spot will in turn give you many many different responses given peoples experiences. There`s a few factors missing from your wants/needs.
Do you just want x amount of power? Are you drag racing only or mainly? If so do you have a ET goal? Are we wanting to compare Money vs HP? Reliability at x HP? Are you concerned about the cars reaction to the power as in the chassis limitations? could probably narrow this discussion way down knowing what it is exactly what you`d like form the car

Exactly, I'm seeing what the opinions out there are.
I'm not expecting a definite answer. But if a fairly large majority say a specific range, it could mean something. Actually, EVERY factor is missing from my wants and needs because I am not asking for people to help me based off of my wants and needs in this thread! LOL.
I'm just collecting opinions. That is all.

Mustangs are pony cars not sports cars and given there weight, require more power to match performance. Have a friend with a 2012 shelby with fully built diff, trans, new bigger blower, cams and more went 10.20 after spending $$$$$$ only to fall short to my friend Alex with a 06Z running cam and bolt-ons only hitting 10.00@141.

You can call it anything you want. We are strictly talking about 1000+, because that is what you told me corvettes do better than anything else in it's league. A 600rwhp corvette compared to a 650-700rwhp shelby isn't relevant to what I was referencing.
I personally think the corvette is an incredible platform for a 500-750 range. Hard to beat. But that isn't the range you made a remark about.

Your other cars on the list are quite expensive and not cheap to modify nor to repair. Do you have any idea what a GTRs transmission is worth? All nice cars though. That being said this can go back and forth forever. If you wanted a 1000rwhp I think you have the right platform to start with. I have no idea what you are used to as far as driving goes but that is way more power than what most people understand. Sweet spot is whatever people feel comfortable with. there's a 2300hp blue vette on youtube that apparently drives on the street lol. Guess it would be easier to understand your goals 100% and then see what would be the best path for that goal, then compare that to other platforms. I am confident if you did the math on all platforms mentioned the vette would be more cost effective.
I know, I gave you various examples, some more some less expensive. the only cars that are more expensive by a semi-descent margin are the porsche/r8/gallardo/huracan/maybe GTR (but not by a crazy amount). Swapping a built auto into a corvette can be $20K. For the price, you could get a Shep stage 4 transmission which is a monster. I know a built TR6060 is cheaper, but at 1000+ an auto swap isn't a bad idea if you want to go fast.

The LMR corvette? My bet....is if you ask him what the optimal power range of a C6 corvette is, he's not going to tell you anywhere in the same realm of 2300 haha. My coming purchase will almost 100% be a C6 (z06/GS) with somewhere around 650-800hp. That seems to be a really good spot for these cars. Initially, I was going to get a 1000+rwhp z06. But after talking to people and researching, it just doesn't seem like it would be the best goal. I'll save that power level for what comes after the corvette.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:40 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Really depends on the build as others have said.
I built my car for power and reliability. Wanted to invest once without constantly ripping and replacing as I have done with my other cars. So I went FI with smaller turbos (GT30’s) under the engine with max boost of 16psi. Forged bottom end, ported heads, and NO valvetrain changes that could effect the already dangerous geometry of a stock LS7. Added alky injection for 93 pump gas and bought HP tuners to dial in the tune, and the car has been rock solid for 10 years at 850/863 rear wheel. Have an Eboost2 controller set up to run low boost wastegate spring around town(8 lbs), med boost, and high. Secondary fuel pump only comes in when needed based on MAP and a fuel controller so car is virtually like stock in low boost settings. It’s worth the effort to plan your build to realistically assess what you will be using the car for and the amount of time you will be willing to invest in it afterwards.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:50 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,503 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Would like to get opinions on what the optimal power level is for the C6 platform.

By sweet spot I mean, where does the C6 really shine? This would include traction, parts breaking, fun, etc.
Going back to your initial question, it begs for information what your intended use wants to be and also your definition of fun.

1,000 hp would be rather wimpy for a Bonneville car, but major overkill for the average auto-X or leisurely 5,000 mile road trip.

The poll you created has no real value without defining the goals. Nor would it have value if the participants were merely dreamers or taking a WAG vs actual personal experience.

Get notified of new replies

To RWHP Sweet Spot

Old 12-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
Really depends on the build as others have said.
I built my car for power and reliability. Wanted to invest once without constantly ripping and replacing as I have done with my other cars. So I went FI with smaller turbos (GT30’s) under the engine with max boost of 16psi. Forged bottom end, ported heads, and NO valvetrain changes that could effect the already dangerous geometry of a stock LS7. Added alky injection for 93 pump gas and bought HP tuners to dial in the tune, and the car has been rock solid for 10 years at 850/863 rear wheel. Have an Eboost2 controller set up to run low boost wastegate spring around town(8 lbs), med boost, and high. Secondary fuel pump only comes in when needed based on MAP and a fuel controller so car is virtually like stock in low boost settings. It’s worth the effort to plan your build to realistically assess what you will be using the car for and the amount of time you will be willing to invest in it afterwards.
Wow 10 years? How many miles have been put on the car in that time? Do you barely touch the accelerator when you drive or do you beat on it? Honestly loll. I think it is extremely smart to go in with the mindset of, do it once and do it right.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Going back to your initial question, it begs for information what your intended use wants to be and also your definition of fun.

1,000 hp would be rather wimpy for a Bonneville car, but major overkill for the average auto-X or leisurely 5,000 mile road trip.

The poll you created has no real value without defining the goals. Nor would it have value if the participants were merely dreamers or taking a WAG vs actual personal experience.
Very true ^. I was speaking of a car that is used on the street, not a dedicated track car. You are correct in stating that someone who only does 1/4 mile vs someone who only does auto x will have totally different power levels most likely. I will add that to OP. 90%+ street use car.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:18 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I run 10's with a whole lot less rwhp. Last dyno showed a max of 394 just weeks before a string of 10.80 to 11.00 at the track.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:53 PM
abusdriver
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Base Cpe went with a conservative tune on a ProCharger D1SC and making 565 at the wheels on the dyno.

The Goodyear RFs were **** and broke loose all the time so I went with the new Michelin PS4S and the grip/handling is literally night & day.

Have not tracked the car or run it at the dragstrip (yet!) but after adding the blower, especially up in the thinner air here in Denver, my Vette is an absolute beast when you get on it but very streetable and mild mannered for every day use.

The following users liked this post:
Dimewise (12-03-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RWHP Sweet Spot