C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first hpde and shuddering under heavy braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for the closure Drew, not many do that on the forum. Rotors look good, no heat checking even though you improved your lap times. It helps to have faith in your brakes! When it comes time to replace the rotors, you might want to try DBA, their slots are curved for less cracking. You could also go plain rotors and pick up a little more swept area.
The following users liked this post:
drewz06 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:58 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Hot spots can be caused where the pad material burns into the face of the disc, thus different friction levels and shuddering, be sure when you change pads/rotors to spray everything to get any foreign material off the rotor before mounting wheels. Even the oil from your fingers can cause it.
The following users liked this post:
drewz06 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:21 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input, i really appreciate it!

Just a side note, I didn't have time to swap them for the street pads after the event and figured "meh, they'll work fine"....

Yeah, i mean they work but there's an obvious difference when you don't have enough heat in them (as everyone has said). Lets just say the squeal could make a tractor trailer driver cry...

The XP20's were excellent on the track, and probably a little "too much" pad for me at the moment, but the street pads are going back on today.

I'll likely try the XP12's for my next go around.

-drew

Quick Reply: first hpde and shuddering under heavy braking