C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some information on 2013 LS7 engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Red06Vette
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Need some information on 2013 LS7 engines

I posted this in the Z06 section with zero replies, maybe someone here can help.

I am currently in the process of installing an LS7 in my 06 coupe. The crate engine I purchased has a date of 4/18/2013. I have read on here about a titanium connecting rod issue that causes bearing failure and I'm wondering:

1) is this engine affected?
2) did GM correct this issue, if so when.

Not sure if it's relevant since it's a crate engine, but I don't want to go thru this install and then have issues.

Thanks for help you can give.

John
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I’m no expert but I thought the issue was with the bearing material, not the connecting rods. As far as I know, there have been no issues with the Ti rods except for bushing failure during Katech’s endurance testing. I haven’t read of a single bushing failure outside of that testing.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Unfortunately, the 2013 LS7 did in fact have issues with the Ti rods. GM changed the coating to meet certain European requirements for pollution (lead). The chromium nitrate coating they started using would fail almost immediately and the rods would begin to rub together. Without the coating this rubbing is extremely abrasive. Bare titanium doesn't like to rub against bare titanium. So due to the abrasive rubbing of the rods from the failure of the coating this would then send high levels of titanium through the motor. It gets in the bearings and impacts the bearing clearances. It gets in other places that we would prefer it didn't and can impact the entire oiling system. The usual signs are low oil pressure and hard start cranking and it happens very very fast (few thousand miles). If it isn't corrected the motor will fail.

It was caught pretty quickly and corrected by GM with a different coating and perhaps even a change to the rod itself. According to reports I have read previously on here and elsewhere, all of the "bad" LS7s from this batch (2013) were already found and either corrected or replaced. But I have no way to verify this. I also don't know of a way to ensure you don't have a one with the bad coating on the rods. Good chance that you don't. You could try to contact GM with the build date and see if they can help you (good luck).
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
A Marsh (02-03-2018), Red06Vette (12-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Need some information on 2013 LS7 engines

Quick Reply: Need some information on 2013 LS7 engines