C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling the seatbealt chime and light

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM
JasonS5555
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disabling the seatbealt chime and light

So this is a quick report on how I disabled the seatbelt chime and light in my 2012 Z07. Let me divert the trolls / safety nanny's by saying I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt on the road, and I NEVER wear it while backing out of my garage or a parking space since it makes twisting around in the seat to look back more difficult. And the chime annoys me.

I would also like to add, that since the previous thread on this topic was closed due to a ton of off topic posts, PLEASE keep this ON TOPIC. So no posts about safety, cost due to accidents, or ANYTHING ELSE, ONLY about disabling the seatbelt chime and light.

I started by following the procedure listed in post #38 here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592764377

I used a jumper wire to jumper the two male pins on the car side of the seatbelt harness. That resulted in the 2 chimes, one at startup and one 5 min later. I did this to both seats.

I then pulled that jumper wire and left the 2 pin harness disconnected, but only on the drivers seat. Next trip (out and back) was without any warning lights / chimes of any kind. There was no passenger on that trip and the passenger side jumper wire was still in place.

After a third trip with passenger, the chimes re-occurred for the passenger seat but not the drivers. I pulled the passenger jumper wire and now there are no chimes or lights at all. JUST what I wanted.

I hope this helps others who are annoyed by the chime. I'd also like confirmation that this works from another C6 owner.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by JasonS5555; 12-06-2017 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Patsgarage (12-06-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonS5555
So this is a quick report on how I disabled the seatbelt chime and light in my 2012 Z07. Let me divert the trolls / safety nanny's by saying I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt on the road, and I NEVER wear it while backing out of my garage or a parking space since it makes twisting around in the seat to look back more difficult. And the chime annoys me.

I would also like to add, that since the previous thread on this topic was closed due to a ton of off topic posts, PLEASE keep this ON TOPIC. So no posts about safety, cost due to accidents, or ANYTHING ELSE, ONLY about disabling the seatbelt chime and light.

I started by following the procedure listed in post #38 here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592764377

I used a jumper wire to jumper the two male pins on the car side of the seatbelt harness. That resulted in the 2 chimes, one at startup and one 5 min later. I did this to both seats.

I then pulled that jumper wire and left the 2 pin harness disconnected, but only on the drivers seat. Next trip (out and back) was without any warning lights / chimes of any kind. There was no passenger on that trip and the passenger side jumper wire was still in place.

After a third trip with passenger, the chimes re-occurred for the passenger seat but not the drivers. I pulled the passenger jumper wire and now there are no chimes or lights at all. JUST what I wanted.

I hope this helps others who are annoyed by the chime. I'd also like confirmation that this works from another C6 owner.

Thanks,
Jason
wondering if that could prevent air bags from deploying?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Or just pop something like this in there if you're at the racetrack (different harness perhaps), or have the dog in the passenger seat, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...ZaIdXQ&vxp=mtr
Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 PM
JasonS5555
Racer

Originally Posted by irok
wondering if that could prevent air bags from deploying?
The airbag light isn't on, so from what I understand since the car thinks the seatbelt is plugged in, the airbag should deploy as normal.

Jason
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM
JasonS5555
Racer

Originally Posted by jft69z
Or just pop something like this in there if you're at the racetrack (different harness perhaps), or have the dog in the passenger seat, etc.

Good point for those situations. I was looking for a permanent disable that would keep the chime from going off every time I back the car out of the garage and THEN put my seatbelt on...

Jason
Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The female seat belt buckle has a switch which is normally closed. When you plug in the male seat belt it opens the switch. So by disconnecting the connector it opens the circuit and makes it appear that you have attached your seat belt.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 PM
JasonS5555
Racer

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
The female seat belt buckle has a switch which is normally closed. When you plug in the male seat belt it opens the switch. So by disconnecting the connector it opens the circuit and makes it appear that you have attached your seat belt.
With most GM vehicles, its the reverse. You need to close the circuit, hence the need for the jumper wire....

Get notified of new replies

To Disabling the seatbealt chime and light

Quick Reply: Disabling the seatbealt chime and light