C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls2 C6 full build help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM
DocMeaney
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2 C6 full build help

First time posting on corvette forum, I have a 2005 c6 with an LS2. I’ve always loved the c6 and wanted one for a while. I love it a lot but I don’t want it to be stock. I have a rough idea for my mod list but I want it to be rock solid for when I get back. I’m on deployment right now and I’ll have some cash to drop when I get back. I’m not dead stuck on one path. Either go some basic mods like exhaust/intake/head/cams sort of build or go with forced induction. This is my first real car that I care about and will have it for a while. Any and all ideas/thoughts will help. Build won’t start until late next year. I’m trying to do all the work myself. And my goal is to have car at about 600 horse to the wheels. Keep in mind the car is totally bone stock.

Last edited by DocMeaney; 12-18-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

The weak link on the 2005 vet is the diff case. Hence you start to throw too much power at it, your going to crack the case/grenade the diff.

Moving forward, you get into the trans if auto, or clutch if manual.

Hence before you start thinking of build the motor, you need to build up the drive line first.

Truth be told, for what you want to do, would be better off just selling the 05, and picking up a later year Z06 instead. Stock motor makes 505hp, and it not hard to bump that up to 600hp with a few mods, which the drive line will hold no problems instead.
The following users liked this post:
DocMeaney (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

use the search function and start reading only about what? 42 million posts on this

Last edited by CMY SIX; 12-18-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Your not getting to 600whp with a heads/cam on an Ls2 w/o nitrous.....but get there REALLY easy with a blower and jave perfect/stock like drivabillity. Clutch and (upgraded/newer) differential would be wise upgrades as well.
DocMeaney (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 01:31 AM
DocMeaney
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
use the search function and start reading only about what? 42 million posts on this
I have internet only a few times a day so it’s hard to sink all that time into reading “42 million posts”
Old 12-19-2017, 01:33 AM
DocMeaney
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Your not getting to 600whp with a heads/cam on an Ls2 w/o nitrous.....but get there REALLY easy with a blower and jave perfect/stock like drivabillity. Clutch and (upgraded/newer) differential would be wise upgrades as well.
Do you have a recommendation for what blower?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMeaney
Do you have a recommendation for what blower?
ECS or A&A Supercharger Kits...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

First time posting on corvette forum, I have a 2005 c6 with an LS2. I’ve always loved the c6 and wanted one for a while. I love it a lot but I don’t want it to be stock. I have a rough idea for my mod list but I want it to be rock solid for when I get back. I’m on deployment right now and I’ll have some cash to drop when I get back. I’m not dead stuck on one path. Either go some basic mods like exhaust/intake/head/cams sort of build or go with forced induction. This is my first real car that I care about and will have it for a while. Any and all ideas/thoughts will help. Build won’t start until late next year. I’m trying to do all the work myself. And my goal is to have car at about 600 horse to the wheels. Keep in mind the car is totally bone stock.
Where are you located?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 AM
jkirk1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

He's on deployment if you read the post, but hats off to another useful post...

And thank you for your service Doc!

Last edited by jkirk1; 12-20-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:34 AM
MGMDET
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Upgrade the diff as already stated, ECS/A&A/Procharger centri blower, cam and exhaust. I bought a base because I didn’t want a Z06/Grand Sport. It would be easier to get 600 NA with a Z but you can make a nice car with what you have. I planned 10K in upgrades with a basic ECS 1500 kit on mine, that snowballed to 20K+ and climbing. It might be cheaper to buy a car that’s already done but I prefer to build my own. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you for your service.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:07 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would start from the back and work my way forward. Diff, diff brace, clutch, engine in that order. Less broke parts and more time driving the car.

I started with brakes and suspension and then the powertrain in the order above and have not had problems being stuck on the aside of the road.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

First off, thanks for your service!

A centri supercharger can get you there no problem, if your able to improve the drive train enough as recommended.

If you did sell the car to purchase a stronger drive train equipped car, a Grand Sport might be an option...

Good Luck and be safe!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Not an expert on the driveline ability - but "schpenxel" has been running at >700rwhp in '05 for 50k miles, with a few 1/2 mile events under his belt. The car has over 200k on it...

Helpful, smart guy too, check it out here...(might scroll through till near the end)

ETA; And if so inclined, a person has a Z06 diff for sale on that last page...

Last edited by Chiselchst; 12-23-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:38 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I have internet only a few times a day so it’s hard to sink all that time into reading “42 million posts”
most of us have limited time also, so I find it hard to do all your research for you so you don't have too, and then you'll whine and argue when it doesn't get you what you want.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for another positive, constructive, helpful contribution.
Your positive attitude and willingness to help, compounded with your good will is admirable.

most of us have limited time also, so I find it hard to do all your research for you so you don't have too, and then you'll whine and argue when it doesn't get you what you want.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 PM
jkirk1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, not sure what you are about policing post, but the forum may be a better off if you didn't spend any of your limited time chastising others for asking questions.

If only the forum could truly see your six...as it exits the door.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Very useful post! Adds to the frustration of new owners and helps destroy the forum

Get notified of new replies

To Ls2 C6 full build help

Old 12-28-2017, 12:59 AM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Read my signature I’m sitting at over 500whp in an Ls2 well before the nitrous that is lol. Get a rear diff from an 06+ before you do anything else. You on a real deployment or some Iraq/Kuwait bs? You’re limited on internet so I’m gonna Afghan and don’t hit me with that opsec bs lol
HC Mechanic (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 11:46 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I’ve got an LS2 head & cam package for sale Hard Charger.

I’m in no rush to sell it either, works amazing - approx. 150whp over stock. I’ve done lots of research on LS2’s and our beloved C6’s in general. I was in the Corps ’99-’03, served a tour in Iraq when it first kicked off in ’03.
When I got out I became a road race engine builder for Attack Performance in 2003. We ran AMA Superbike and Supersport. That was back when the sport was loaded with sponsorship, resulting talent & trick machines! When I got out of wrenching full time and traveling 2+ times a month, I found a great used C6 and started researching.

If you’re interested, DM me your time frame and lets see if we can work something out.

PS: If you’ve got an ’05 C6 differential, look into getting this upgraded as a priority. If you don’t have the time, I’ll look into where you can get it handled based on your area.

Thank you for your service
Old 12-31-2017, 12:38 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MGMDET
Upgrade the diff as already stated, ECS/A&A/Procharger centri blower, cam and exhaust. I bought a base because I didn’t want a Z06/Grand Sport. It would be easier to get 600 NA with a Z but you can make a nice car with what you have. I planned 10K in upgrades with a basic ECS 1500 kit on mine, that snowballed to 20K+ and climbing. It might be cheaper to buy a car that’s already done but I prefer to build my own. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you for your service.
Don’t go with a centri blower go with a twin screw or roots blower as the torque is down low at 2,000 rpms.With a centri blower they drive stock until about 3,500 rpms when boost kicks in. I had a 500 rwhp centri car before if I could do it again I would go in the other direction in terms of a supercharger or turbo.

Quick Reply: Ls2 C6 full build help