C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2” vs. 1 7/8” Header

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
I mean no not really, if you have a 10s car and add a mod that makes 5 more hp will you see a change? Nope def not, doesn’t change the fact it’s still a better mod though.It’s weird how many people can stare point blank evidence i the face and then ignore it based on their own formed opinions lmao
So you want to add 5 HP to the top , a gain that there is not a shot you or anyone else will be able to feel or prove ...and then loose that much HP and torque if not more in the midrange .... ok that makes sense ...
Dave
The following users liked this post:
jim2092 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 09:19 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
So you want to add 5 HP to the top , a gain that there is not a shot you or anyone else will be able to feel or prove ...and then loose that much HP and torque if not more in the midrange .... ok that makes sense ...
Dave
In the test shown above where did they lose power with late headers? They didn’t, anywhere, so essentially the 5hp up top was free...did you look at the link even?To what dan said above obviously collector design and tube length are important design factors but that’s not pertinent to the conversation at this point. The op asked about tube size meaning I would assume he’s looking at the same headers design and in that case the evidence suggests larger tubes make more powerbwith no negative effects. If you want to start talking about different brands with different design then I’d agree tube dia becomes more of a moot point. However thankfully for us most of the major header companies have a very similar design. This test showed that given the same design the larger id will be betterTake a look at LG for example, they always claim that their 1-3/4 makes more power than 1-7/8 and they’re not wrong. However the 1-3/4 is a completely different designed header. Are they wrong? No....does that mean given the same design the 1-7/8 wouldn’t be better? Nope.....
Old 12-30-2017, 09:21 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Thanks for that Dano. I think we both know there are several more factors to be considered when choosing exhaust systems than just primary tube size. The only thing that dyno test did, was to show differences by the same manufacturer on a car with no supporting mods. Dynos are only a stationary tuning tool anyway. Timeslips tell a more accurate story of real performance.
See my above reply....but also curious how would addin more mods that helps the car breathe better help it make more power with 1-7/8
Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Dave
Yet all the test and graphs show zero loss down low, so why not take the extra 5-7hp up top?
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
HC Mechanic (12-30-2017), Innovate (12-31-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

This has been proven false many times. No ls engine prefers 1-3/4 over a larger size please stop spreading mis information
We had a member here that passed a couple of years back name New Jersey Dennis, he dynoed and ran the quarter-mile back-to-back 1 and 3/4 verses 1 and 7/8 inch headers on a LS2, and the one in three quarter inch headers were significantly faster in both situations. It's because the head design on the LS2 is pretty inefficient, so I would say if you're going to swap out heads on an LS2, go to the bigger headers. So I believe it is you that are incorrect.

Regarding the LS3 and LS7 engines, it certainly appears to me there's no downside to having 2 inch headers in every application. However I've often wondered about Dyno results, even though they show Power at all RPMs, they do not show them at partial throttle settings, and I can't help but wonder if you're giving up significant part throttle response with the 2-inch headers. But I don't know.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:57 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
We had a member here that passed a couple of years back name New Jersey Dennis, he dynoed and ran the quarter-mile back-to-back 1 and 3/4 verses 1 and 7/8 inch headers on a LS2, and the one in three quarter inch headers were significantly faster in both situations. It's because the head design on the LS2 is pretty inefficient, so I would say if you're going to swap out heads on an LS2, go to the bigger headers. So I believe it is you that are incorrect.

Regarding the LS3 and LS7 engines, it certainly appears to me there's no downside to having 2 inch headers in every application. However I've often wondered about Dyno results, even though they show Power at all RPMs, they do not show them at partial throttle settings, and I can't help but wonder if you're giving up significant part throttle response with the 2-inch headers. But I don't know.
There are always exceptions to every rule. I don’t doubt his results but others including me who have performed similar tests have not seen those results. I have seen a cam only car swap on a fast intake and lose trap speed over the ls6 intake. Would you want to argue that is the norm and therefore the fast is not a worthwhile swap? I doubt his tests we’re all done same day same track and same weather. All of those things can have a significant effect on the end result and have 0 to do with the mods

Last edited by redbird555; 12-30-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There are always exceptions to every rule. I don’t doubt his results but others including me who have performed similar tests have not seen those results. I have seen a cam only car swap on a fast intake and lose trap speed over the ls6 intake. Would you want to argue that is the norm and therefore the fast is not a worthwhile swap? I doubt his tests we’re all done same day same track and same weather. All of those things can have a significant effect on the end result and have 0 to do with the mods
It's still strange that Dennis and myself (the quickest boltons, LS2 and LS3) are the "exception to the rule" and those who are not exceptions tend to run slower.
So what did we know that you haven't learned yet?

BTW, I've looked on the fast lists and don't see your name anywhere. Are you only a dyno sheet racer or just too ashamed to post times?
Dcasole (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 04:26 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
It's still strange that Dennis and myself (the quickest boltons, LS2 and LS3) are the "exception to the rule" and those who are not exceptions tend to run slower.
So what did we know that you haven't learned yet?

BTW, I've looked on the fast lists and don't see your name anywhere. Are you only a dyno sheet racer or just too ashamed to post times?
Im not discrediting anyone...no need to get upset because someone else has a different opinion than you man. The fastest bolt on fbodys run 1-7/8 and 2” headers. So do ls2 cars like smaller headers or are they exceptions. If you did a mod that gained 5hp would you see itvat the track? I just would assume someone with your car and record would have a much more open mind but maybe not man?
Innovate (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 02:21 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yet all the test and graphs show zero loss down low, so why not take the extra 5-7hp up top?
This would be what I would do.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Im not discrediting anyone...no need to get upset because someone else has a different opinion than you man. The fastest bolt on fbodys run 1-7/8 and 2” headers. So do ls2 cars like smaller headers or are they exceptions. If you did a mod that gained 5hp would you see itvat the track? I just would assume someone with your car and record would have a much more open mind but maybe not man?
I'm certainly not upset and I do have an open mind, since I don't arbitrarily promote 2" headers as being the best for all LS engines, based on 1 test of headers sizes from a single manufacturer on an otherwise bone stock car. To believe that 2" works in every, or even most, circumstances is highly opinionated and closed minded.

You fail to understand that it's not the size of the primaries that produce the most power, but how the entire exhaust system works with all the other components, whether they are stock or modified. There is far more to creating a quick car than just sourcing parts that worked in some dyno test.

AFAIK, Dennis and I only had one non-stock mod (Vararam) in common. He also had several more mods than I. We shared header tube size, but not brand. He had a LS2 with a A4 trans and 3.90 gears and I have a LS3 with a A6 and 2.56 gears. He learned what worked for him and I for me, because we both were willing to fail during the process of finding the right combination. I still have several things yet to try, but 2" headers are not on that list at this time.

Post up your car with the mods and your best timeslip, we are all willing to help.

Try filling out your profile too. You've been here 8 years and you're way overdue.

Quick Reply: 2” vs. 1 7/8” Header