C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Clutch Issue

Having some symptoms that are worrying me......Car is an 07 Z06, 7,200 miles. 590whp.

Smelling clutch driving the car normally, getting worse over time as well. When cruising at low speeds (5-10 mph) and disengaging the clutch, I can hear a pretty clear “clunk” as if it’s freeing from being stuck. At those low speeds the car is surging a little too with foot off the gas.

Changed the clutch fluid a couple times (ranger method) and the first time I did it, it seemed to help a ton. Only 1-200 miles on the car MAX after the last change and these are the symptoms.

Any thoughts? I’m thinking something with the pressure plate, or maybe a hydraulic issue. I believe it is the stock clutch, bought the car last February with 5900 miles.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Your over 600hp at the crank, and the stock LS-7 clutch is not going to hold that much powder (about 600hp is about all the LS-7 clutch is going to hold, and not for long).

So, it time for a new clutch, and one that is rated at least 700hp instead.

The LS-9 clutch is rated at about 700HP, but lets face it, your dam hear there already at the crank, so time for something that will hold 800hp or more instead.

As for clutches (single, dual, and manufacturers), I going to stay out of this mess, since it a preference thing on slip amounts or not, pedal pressure increase or not, and even longevity of the clutch the way you are using it as well.
Hence what works for me since I use the vet for high speed road course work, may not work for you if all your doing is strip launching instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-15-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

LS7 clutch should be fine at those levels, depending on how much abuse the car sees.

It's really hard to diagnose something like this over the internet. I'd take it to a trusted shop.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:39 AM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
LS7 clutch should be fine at those levels, depending on how much abuse the car sees.

It's really hard to diagnose something like this over the internet. I'd take it to a trusted shop.
Does anyone know if you can replace the slave cylinder without dropping the tranny?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:32 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Megatronss
Does anyone know if you can replace the slave cylinder without dropping the tranny?
No sir, it’s not possible
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech

590WHP.

He's about 651HP at the crank if an M6, and about 675HP at the crank if a A6.

The ls7 clutch is only safe to hold about 600hp with typical hard strip type launches, and since he has the motor built, you can bank that he is launching the car this way from time to time as well.

As for the LS-9 clutch at 651HP, which will become about 675HP with a light weight flywheel used, an add in the de-hobbling of the TM in the tune, and the LS9 clutch does not stand a chance holding up long term as well in his car either.

Hence for drive-ablity of a street clutch, something like a Dyad would be fine, but he has to time to break it in correctly to start with. If he is looking for more for a fast locking strip clutch, then a single disc may be better isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-16-2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
590WHP.

The ls7 clutch is only safe to hold about 600hp with typical hard strip type launches, and since he has the motor built, you can bank that he is launching the car this way from time to time as well.

As for the LS-9 clutch at 651HP, which will become about 675HP with a light weight flywheel used, an add in the de-hobbling of the TM in the tune, and the LS9 clutch does not stand a chance holding up long term as well in his car either.

Hence for drive-ablity of a street clutch, something like a Dyad would be fine, but he has to time to break it in correctly to start with. If he is looking for more for a fast locking strip clutch, then a single disc may be better isntead.
We don't agree on just about everything you said.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
590WHP.

There goes the bathwater...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

you have already diagnosed the problem.
if you can smell it that there is a problem, if its not hydraulic , as in the slave cylinder not returning all the way!
Then the clutch is RS pull it out and fix it,but first work out why it is RS.
It may not just be the HP you have under your foot, it may be the way you use that foot.
Its worth noting, HP does not cause any problems, It torque that brakes things.

Last edited by bfit; 01-16-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a Clutch Issue

Quick Reply: Help with a Clutch Issue