C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chatter issue on 06 Eforce Z, (long) any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Chatter issue on 06 Eforce Z, (long) any suggestions?

I have put so much time and money into my 2006 Eforce Z and the "mechanic" who messed up the job the first time still haunts me 2 years later.

I have hardly ever or maybe never even floored the gas pedal because I never trusted the tune or the setup since the first motor leaned out and toasted on my very first run.

After bringing the car to ECS for a thorough tuning and assurance the car isnt running lean, I have been using the car as daily driver for a near 200 mile round trip commute to NYC. I put about 5K miles since then and only had overheating issues to deal with. yay!

The car has about 95K miles on it but has new LS7, new Mcloed (twin disc I think) clutch with a lighter flywheel which I would not recommend for daily driver in traffic. I'm one of those people who can use the same clutch for several years. Never drag raced the car either, never had sticky tires. I blip the throttle and spin wheels sometimes though.

I finally think I have the car lined out pretty well after a couple of years of circling back to fix a hack's poor work. I mention this because I think it may have bearing to know that the car was taken apart at least once.

The problem:

Then getting onto the highway with mild throttle I thought I must have strayed onto the rumble strips. That is the only way to describe this sound and feeling which is profound to say the least. It is load related, not speed nor rpm. It occurs with about 25% or more throttle which is basically in boost or just before boost. If it wasnt supercharged it would be under a mild load. I can drive like an old lady all day and this vibration/chatter/shake wont happen but any sort of load the rapid chatter comes back, seems through the dashboard, not in the rear. The car is nearly undrivable.

The Hinson .1" lower motor mounts were cracked so I had OEM's put back in. We didnt think it was the cause of the issue but they needed to be replaced anyway so why not try. and it seems that the engine still moves more than it should. It seems to move more, actually. I can push on it and it seems to rock side to side. This, with new mounts. I have no other car to compare this to but the engine moves more than my Ford lightning by allot.

I'm wondering if the trans or driveline has mounts which could be broken but I dont think a mount would cause this type of sound or issue, then again it is like something is contacting the frame etc.

I would say clutch chatter but how, in a fairly new clutch with low miles and light use? In traffic I have to work the clutch allot and the travel is very annoying, seems the clutch disengages and engages only at the top inch or so of pedal travel. I barely touch the pedal and it disengages. Very touchy but I dont have a reference point.

Taking out the whole driveline seems like a big job. I'd like to know what the issue is before disassembling the car. I've seen a video or two on youtube and it looks like I may be able to do this job if necessary though.

Stupidly, I only have a tent garage, not a real one. yet.

I dont have a great place to work on the car but have a quicklift, decent tool set etc.

I'm wondering if I can accomplish much by removing the clutch inspection pan, or that lower pan section whatever it is.

If anyone has experienced this (again, it is almost exactly like driving onto the rumble strips on the side of the highway, any speed I can make it happen if I just give it enough gas)

Any suggestion pls let me know. If anyone has experience with corvette C5 or C6 driveline DIY and lives near enough to me, feels like coming to help with this let me know as well. I'm not trying to be cheap I'm trying to make sure it is done right and to keep the car with me for a change.
I can try to take a video of this during the weekend.
Thanks for reading.

Off to work!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:29 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Obviously diagnosing something like this is almost impossible but the first thing I would determine is if your engine is really moving to much or if that's normal. Check all the mount bolts, cradle bolts, etc. Trans mounts are pretty easy to check, or have checked also.
If you find that is all normal the next thing I would suspect is maybe driveshaft couplers ??

Tough to know. Ideally if you could replicate the problem while the car is on a lift you might see something for a clue. Otherwise it's a process of elimination.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Obviously diagnosing something like this is almost impossible but the first thing I would determine is if your engine is really moving to much or if that's normal. Check all the mount bolts, cradle bolts, etc. Trans mounts are pretty easy to check, or have checked also.
If you find that is all normal the next thing I would suspect is maybe driveshaft couplers ??

Tough to know. Ideally if you could replicate the problem while the car is on a lift you might see something for a clue. Otherwise it's a process of elimination.
Hi Canuk, been awhile. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get under the car and go step by step. I was just hoping someone had a similar issue and could point me in the right direction.

Get notified of new replies

To Chatter issue on 06 Eforce Z, (long) any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Chatter issue on 06 Eforce Z, (long) any suggestions?