C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash To Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Flash To Pass?

Hey guys when I pull on the stalk to flash my hi-beams to let people know I want them to go they don’t work. All of my lights work including my hi-beams but when I pull back to use my hi-beams momentarily nothing happens but when I push it forward they do come on and stay on.. any ideas?
EDIT: Pulling on the stalk does nothing in all modes so when I have my lights off, when they’re on low-beam, hi-beam, and when the fog lights are on.

Last edited by All Stock Ls2; 02-17-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by All Stock Ls2
Hey guys when I pull on the stalk to flash my hi-beams to let people know I want them to go they don’t work. All of my lights work including my hi-beams but when I pull back to use my hi-beams momentarily nothing happens but when I push it forward they do come on and stay on.. any ideas?
EDIT: Pulling on the stalk does nothing in all modes so when I have my lights off, when they’re on low-beam, hi-beam, and when the fog lights are on.
It sounds like no signal is making it from the stalk to the BCM. If you have a Tech 2 you could confirm whether this is the case. It might be a loose connection, but my first guess would be the stalk assembly itself. They are known to fail in other ways (usually signal actuation causing flash-to-pass).

You can fix it, but people still aren't going to pull over.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Originally Posted by torquetube
It sounds like no signal is making it from the stalk to the BCM. If you have a Tech 2 you could confirm whether this is the case. It might be a loose connection, but my first guess would be the stalk assembly itself. They are known to fail in other ways (usually signal actuation causing flash-to-pass).

You can fix it, but people still aren't going to pull over.
what exactly IS a tech 2?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:29 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

what exactly IS a tech 2?
It's the name of GM's previous factory scan tool. Now they use a different one.

Real Tech 2s cost thousands (if you could even find one). Everyone buys Chinese clones instead which look identical and run the same software. They cost around $250 shipped.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

It's the name of GM's previous factory scan tool. Now they use a different one.

Real Tech 2s cost thousands (if you could even find one). Everyone buys Chinese clones instead which look identical and run the same software. They cost around $250 shipped.
Recon a GM dealership would have one?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Recon a GM dealership would have one?
Every service department will have several, but not for sale. They'll charge you to diagnose your problem. The tool itself is not sold at dealer parts departments.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:59 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Every service department will have several, but not for sale. They'll charge you to diagnose your problem. The tool itself is not sold at dealer parts departments.
Yeah that’s what I meant thanks brother!

Last edited by All Stock Ls2; 02-17-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:44 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Yeah that’s what I meant thanks brother!
Try this:

Loosen/remove enough of the steering column trim to get at the turn signal/headlight/flash-to-pass/etc. stalk. There should be four sets of cables going to the back of it.

Three of the cables plug in to the lever assembly body directly. The other one is a short pigtail with a black connector on the end. That connector is called C1.

As you sit in the car, C1 is leftmost. C3 (gray) is in the middle, and C2 (black) is on the right, closest to the steering column. C4 (gray) is on the top.

Unplug C2. That's where the flash-to-pass signal is.

Take the C2 cable and jumper pins A (brown wire) and B (black wire) together. That should cause the high beams to light up as if you pulled the flash-to-pass lever.

If the lights come on, your lever is bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Flash To Pass?

Quick Reply: Flash To Pass?