C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default GS Oil Pressure

So I've read the forum and see it's common to have high oil pressure with the M6 GS due to the dry sump system. When cold, it takes very little to get up around 80 psi and when warm I'm still frequently in the mid 70's under moderate acceleration. When cold, it can peg triple digits if I get in to it ( I don't do it often, but occasionally someone wants to go for a ride and it would be weird to say, "Sure! Let's drive it around for 20 minutes or so first to warm up the oil."

My question is, what is the most prone component to damage as a result of the constant high oil pressure?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMikeWmike
So I've read the forum and see it's common to have high oil pressure with the M6 GS due to the dry sump system. When cold, it takes very little to get up around 80 psi and when warm I'm still frequently in the mid 70's under moderate acceleration. When cold, it can peg triple digits if I get in to it ( I don't do it often, but occasionally someone wants to go for a ride and it would be weird to say, "Sure! Let's drive it around for 20 minutes or so first to warm up the oil."

My question is, what is the most prone component to damage as a result of the constant high oil pressure?

All bearing surfaces on the motor until the motor oil has risen to 175* or better regarding initial wear from friction alone; meaning that all the metal bearing areas in the motor have heat expand stabilized to begin with.

As for the higher oil pressure, easy way to start bending push rods.

To be blunt, until the motor oil temp comes up to at least 170*, keep the revs under 4K.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
All bearing surfaces on the motor until the motor oil has risen to 175* or better regarding initial wear from friction alone; meaning that all the metal bearing areas in the motor have heat expand stabilized to begin with.

As for the higher oil pressure, easy way to start bending push rods.

To be blunt, until the motor oil temp comes up to at least 170*, keep the revs under 4K.
in 10 life times you couldn't bend an LS push rod with high oil pressure!!!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input. It's kind of annoying that the oil pressure meter is pegged out until i've been driving for 15 minutes. GM should have put at least a 100 psi in all the dry sump cars. It idles at 68 psi when cold, the meter only goes to 80!! Even keeping it under 2k shift points it gets mid 70's and just bothers me when it's maxed on the meter.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMikeWmike
Thanks for the input. It's kind of annoying that the oil pressure meter is pegged out until i've been driving for 15 minutes. GM should have put at least a 100 psi in all the dry sump cars. It idles at 68 psi when cold, the meter only goes to 80!! Even keeping it under 2k shift points it gets mid 70's and just bothers me when it's maxed on the meter.
my wet sump LS2 stock pump runs mid 70's hot at 4,000 rpm.

Get notified of new replies

To GS Oil Pressure

Quick Reply: GS Oil Pressure