C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which flywheel for LS9 clutch on LS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 PM
13BoostedGS
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which flywheel for LS9 clutch on LS3

Hey guys,

I currently picked up a brand new LS9 twin disk clutch for my 2013 GS. I知 pretty sure the LS3 flywheel won稚 work with this clutch. What would be my options for flywheels? I知 trying to avoid lightweight flywheels because of loss of torque. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

You don't lose torque with light flywheel. Options are katech or maybe monster but probably only the katech. I would sell it and just use the money towards a different clutch
The following users liked this post:
13BoostedGS (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/tra...-corvette-z06/

http://store.katechengines.com/mobil...-z06-p184.aspx
13BoostedGS (02-25-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by 13BoostedGS
Hey guys,

I currently picked up a brand new LS9 twin disk clutch for my 2013 GS. I’m pretty sure the LS3 flywheel won’t work with this clutch. What would be my options for flywheels? I’m trying to avoid lightweight flywheels because of loss of torque. Thanks.

Let back it up a bit, and why are you installing a LS9 clutch on the LS3 to begin with.

If its due to power, then a Mantic 9000 will be a hell of lot better clutch instead.

The oem LS9 Sachs organic material clutch is a good OEM clutch that can be slipped well, but in the long run, not one that can will hold up long term with a lot of abuse instead. Hence the disc in the pressure plate has a good safety shied to itself it it blow apart (the pressure plate cage), but when the other disc on the flywheel side lets loose and blows apart, it's parts loves to blow out through the side of the bell housing instead.

Now regarding flywheel weight. The lighter the flywheel, the more Hp your going to makes since there is less reciprocating mass (not LS9 clutch is heavy itself), but at the same point, since you have less rotating mass being spun via the motor, the easier it is to stall the motor on starts as well.

Point blank would get ECS on the phone for a Increased tension pressure plate Mantic 9000 clutch kit (has more holding force with it Cerametallic discs) with pilot bearing installed in the flywhee, and the Slave TB plastic support replaced with a billet aluminum one. The kit come with new bolts too, so in the end will be the full kit and all the parts needed for a clutch install.
Note, if your old pilot bearing thrashed the end of the torque tube input shaft, you may need to replace the shaft as well.

Info on the billet bearing support
http://monsterclutches.com/billet-bearing-install

And torque tube shaft is part number 25, and would need to be replace if the pilot bearing went south in the fly wheel to tear/wear the end of it out, or the spines are worn out from the old clutch plates instead.
[/img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/criscillisj/torquetube.png[/img]

And if you did not install a remote bleeder line, now would be the time to install a one (go with the Tick bleeder line since it has proven to be the one with the least amount of problems).

Last edited by Dano523; 02-26-2018 at 04:17 PM.
13BoostedGS (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 04:39 PM
13BoostedGS
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Let back it up a bit, and why are you installing a LS9 clutch on the LS3 to begin with.

If its due to power, then a Mantic 9000 will be a hell of lot better clutch instead.

The oem LS9 Sachs organic material clutch is a good OEM clutch that can be slipped well, but in the long run, not one that can will hold up long term with a lot of abuse instead. Hence the disc in the pressure plate has a good safety shied to itself it it blow apart (the pressure plate cage), but when the other disc on the flywheel side lets loose and blows apart, it's parts loves to blow out through the side of the bell housing instead.

Now regarding flywheel weight. The lighter the flywheel, the more Hp your going to makes since there is less reciprocating mass (not LS9 clutch is heavy itself), but at the same point, since you have less rotating mass being spun via the motor, the easier it is to stall the motor on starts as well.

Point blank would get ECS on the phone for a Increased tension pressure plate Mantic 9000 clutch kit (has more holding force with it Cerametallic discs) with pilot bearing installed in the flywhee, and the Slave TB plastic support replaced with a billet aluminum one. The kit come with new bolts too, so in the end will be the full kit and all the parts needed for a clutch install.
Note, if your old pilot bearing thrashed the end of the torque tube input shaft, you may need to replace the shaft as well.

Info on the billet bearing support
http://monsterclutches.com/billet-bearing-install

And torque tube shaft is part number 25, and would need to be replace if the pilot bearing went south in the fly wheel to tear/wear the end of it out, or the spines are worn out from the old clutch plates instead.
[/img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/criscillisj/torquetube.png[/img]

And if you did not install a remote bleeder line, now would be the time to install a one (go with the Tick bleeder line since it has proven to be the one with the least amount of problems).
Thank you for the good points. Will look into the Mantic.

Get notified of new replies

To Which flywheel for LS9 clutch on LS3

Quick Reply: Which flywheel for LS9 clutch on LS3