C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change... Loud noises lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change... Loud noises lol

Did first 2500 mile oil change on my 2009 c6 corvette; drained oil like so;
filled with 6 qts, pulled the fuse primed everything with a couple turns, put fuse back in...
I heard the worst engine noise i've ever heard in my life... turned off immediately..
Tried it all over again, same thing... shut off...
One last time before I said fk it probably blew engine... started up, not even a misfire ran fine.

Is this normal? like wth happened. I have no owners manual and followed a youtube tutorial from someone else. Oil level is on the dot.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've never heard any noise or of pulling a fuse to prime everything. If you want to crank the engine without starting hold the gas pedal to the floor and push start. Not really necessary IMO.
Oh, and owners manual is available online.

Last edited by EVRose; 03-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

What fuse? No idea what that noise is. Additionally I would just drain fill and start...Never really worried about priming for oil change, but that’s just me
Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Always fill the filter with oil!
with an empty filter it takes long seconds to fill up. and knocks and wears many parts.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:19 PM
kinetek
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you check the oil level?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Like the others posted, what fuse did you pull & why? A oil change is very simple, remove the drain pan bolt, unscrew the oil filter, put the bolt back in, & screw on a new filter & refill engine with the required amount of oil, you should NEVER hear any unusual noises after a oil change, NEVER

Last edited by 449er; 03-18-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Go here for an owner's manual. https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ers_manual.pdf
Read pages 5-19 through 5-27. Pay attention to the Oil Life Monitor information. You don't need to change oil before the DIC warning that comes on at 4%. Forget the old school mileage intervals. The OLM will compensate for hard driving vs easy use.

Oil change method:
1. Raise car to access drain and filter and keep it level.
2. Remove pan plug to drain oil and remove filter.
3. Clean filter sealing area, assuring the previous filter gasket is gone. Put a light film of new oil on the new filter gasket and install. Torque to 22 # ft.
4. Clean pan plug and install. Torque to 18 # ft.
5. Pour in 5 quarts of 5W-30 oil that meets either the GM4718M or dexos1 specification. The newest spec is dexos1 gen 2 and will be backwards compatible with your car.
6. Start the engine.
7 After the oil reaches 160* or greater, shut off the engine and wait 5 minutes to check the level. You can drive the car to warm the oil quicker.
8. Add oil to reach the upper hole of the 3 holes on the dipstick.
9. Reset the OLM per the instruction on page 5-27.
10. Check the oil level again after the first tank of gas and add as needed.

There is no need or requirement to pull fuses, crank without starting, prime anything, or pre-fill the filter. You have more residual lubrication in the engine than GM used in the initial assembly process.

Most likely what you heard is called hydraulic hammering. You caused it by doing several things. You added 6 quarts which was an overfill, I'm guessing you most likely pre-filled the filter, and attempted to circulate the oil by cranking the engine a couple revolutions before starting. That left several air pockets between the oil pickup tube and the oil galleys. So when you started the engine, the new oil in the pan hit the air pockets, it compressed the air, which in turn pushed the next oil to the next air pocket and so on. When the air pockets reached the end of the oil galleys where the oil is distributed to the individual bearings, lifters, etc. it was forced out in spurts of air then oil then air then oil, etc until all the compressed air was gone.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

I use my real name because i am a real ASE Certified Mechanic (retired)
I fill the oil filter on any car that i want to last. they will knock if you don't.
The following users liked this post:
Navy Blue 210 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:11 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I never once filled my oil filter with oil before start up & never have had any kind of knock or hammer in over 40 years of oil changes
Old 03-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Dman302
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

The noise would make me insane. I’d have to know
Old 03-18-2018, 04:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
Always fill the filter with oil!
with an empty filter it takes long seconds to fill up. and knocks and wears many parts.
Pre-filling the filter introduces an extra air pocket. The oil pump at 1000 RPM will pump enough oil to fill the filter in .9 seconds. If the filter is already full of oil, the air pressure in the line prior to the filter will compress and force the oil out of the filter, which creates a second air pocket ahead of the oil that was in the filter. When that second air pocket passes by the "barbell", leaving the oil to hit the end of the main galley passage before making a 90 degree turn upward, it has a strong possibility to blow past the o-rings on the "barbell" and into the back of the block by the bell housing. The leakage is the cause of an oil smell that occurs after and oil change and takes several hundred miles of driving to dissipate. The same phenomena can occur if the engine is started and increased to a higher rpm in the first couple of seconds without pre-filling the filter.

Pre-filling the filter does nothing to decrease wear. There is more residual oil in the engine at a normal oil change, than GM used for assembly at the very first startup.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:29 PM
kinetek
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i never put any oil into oil filter and never heard any kind of knock. I assume OP either didn't fill the car with oil or filled the oil into washer fluid reservoir and engine is running dry.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Pre-filling the filter introduces an extra air pocket. The oil pump at 1000 RPM will pump enough oil to fill the filter in .9 seconds. If the filter is already full of oil, the air pressure in the line prior to the filter will compress and force the oil out of the filter, which creates a second air pocket ahead of the oil that was in the filter. When that second air pocket passes by the "barbell", leaving the oil to hit the end of the main galley passage before making a 90 degree turn upward, it has a strong possibility to blow past the o-rings on the "barbell" and into the back of the block by the bell housing. The leakage is the cause of an oil smell that occurs after and oil change and takes several hundred miles of driving to dissipate. The same phenomena can occur if the engine is started and increased to a higher rpm in the first couple of seconds without pre-filling the filter.

Pre-filling the filter does nothing to decrease wear. There is more residual oil in the engine at a normal oil change, than GM used for assembly at the very first startup.
Thanks for the laugh
I never heard such nonsense in my entire life!
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Gruber:
astaggs (03-19-2018), Navy Blue 210 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:10 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

Air pressure in the line? What line? I always fill a filter if it's vertical mounted and never heard any air pressure or noises or burning oil smell or anything else. It may or may not help but there's no way it can hurt. All I get is instant oil pressure and that' it.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"Did first 2500 mile oil change on my 2009 c6 corvette; drained oil like so;"

Hold the phone! Let me get this straight. It is 2018, March. You just did THE FIRST 2500 MILE oil change today? On a 2009 Corvette? Meaning, the original oil has been in there since somewhere around 9 YEARS?

OP, is this a joke? Or, is this a totally new, or rebuilt engine? Or is this a new-to-you (you got it used) and this is the first YOU have changed the oil in the used car?

Because if that really is the FIRST oil change in 9 years, yes, I'd expect just about anything. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

Maybe others saw a prior thread where you said you just got the used car, had pics posted, etc. No help from me. I'm just wondering....
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Wtf??
Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

Hold the phone! Let me get this straight. It is 2018, March. You just did THE FIRST 2500 MILE oil change today? On a 2009 Corvette? Meaning, the original oil has been in there since somewhere around 9 YEARS?

OP, is this a joke? Or, is this a totally new, or rebuilt engine? Or is this a new-to-you (you got it used) and this is the first YOU have changed the oil in the used car?

Because if that really is the FIRST oil change in 9 years, yes, I'd expect just about anything. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

Maybe others saw a prior thread where you said you just got the used car, had pics posted, etc. No help from me. I'm just wondering....
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. No one caught this, I kept going back to see the original post date.

Get notified of new replies

To First oil change... Loud noises lol

Old 03-18-2018, 06:03 PM
EVRose
Race Director

He bought it last September so probably HIS first oil change.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Got it! Thanks, Eric. As I said, I'm no help but was just wondering.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Got it! Thanks, Eric. As I said, I'm no help but was just wondering.
I was wondering the same thing when I read it earlier so I did a background check before saying anything.

Quick Reply: First oil change... Loud noises lol