2008 LS3 NA Build - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 LS3 NA Build

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #21  
old motorhead
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Southeast TX
Posts: 3,881
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBoostx View Post
Op clearly said he don't want a blower, what's onrilieable about simple only need to change a few parts no-thing to add no extra weight or an intercooler to block the radiator and how about with factory intake and throttle body oh more torq than horse power how about over 500 wtq @ 3500 rpm
My last Heartbeat TVS blown LS3 had at least 550 rwtq from 2500 through 5500. Peak tq was 612. HP peak was 664. And it ran cool as a cucumber. I don't think any street friendly N/A LS3 is going to come remotely close to keeping up with something like that. One of the guys on the FI forum ran 9's with a rig similar to mine. Even used the stock torque converter.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #22  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
My last Heartbeat TVS blown LS3 had at least 550 rwtq from 2500 through 5500. Peak tq was 612. HP peak was 664. And it ran cool as a cucumber. I don't think any street friendly N/A LS3 is going to come remotely close to keeping up with something like that. One of the guys on the FI forum ran 9's with a rig similar to mine. Even used the stock torque converter.

That's all good My '06 gto 402 Ci with a d1sc makes 940 wtq and 880 hp (I see people on here selling same pump cause it made 580 whp)

I don't want you to think I'm oppose to boost just look at my sig name (I love Boost) but making power with boost any body can do.


How fast did you go with your supercharged car in the 1/4 ?
xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #23  
old motorhead
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Southeast TX
Posts: 3,881
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBoostx View Post

How fast did you go with your supercharged car in the 1/4 ?
Never took this last one down the 1/4. Previous TVS blown LS3 Vette did [email protected] in warm weather. That was with a 1.9 60'. 640 rwhp on 9psi. Didn't want to leave too hard to avoid spitting parts. I know dedicated 1/4 guys can go faster with less. Going that fast rowing gears, for me, is a whole lot of fun
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #24  
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member
 
HOXXOH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Peoria/Phoenix AZ
Posts: 13,107
Thanked 642 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Never took this last one down the 1/4. Previous TVS blown LS3 Vette did [email protected] in warm weather. That was with a 1.9 60'. 640 rwhp on 9psi. Didn't want to leave too hard to avoid spitting parts. I know dedicated 1/4 guys can go faster with less. Going that fast rowing gears, for me, is a whole lot of fun
The 10.8 is fine, even though I run that quick with a bolton LS3, but the 133 means killer big power on the back half.
HOXXOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #25  
old motorhead
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Southeast TX
Posts: 3,881
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOXXOH View Post
The 10.8 is fine, even though I run that quick with a bolton LS3, but the 133 means killer big power on the back half.
The back half is the easy part. IIRC, the 3-4 shift happens about the halfway point. From there on it's just hold on and keep it pointed in the right direction. It would consistently pick up over 30mph in the back half. Lots of folks went quicker and faster. No one had more fun
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old motorhead For This Useful Post:
jleews6 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #26  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

LS3 heads and cam 10.5 130 mph here even though I believe to have a bad cam in it and still on factory intake and throttle body.

When I adjust the valve lash on the solid roller I noticed cylinders 1-8 suppose to fire together the intake valve on number one cylinder is about 85% open before number 8 cylinder intake valve starts to open I have plans on swapping this cam for a true cam and a smaller cam as well I'm pretty sure the thing will pick up some power.

Any body ever seem a cam with split timing on two cylinders firing simultaneously?
xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:25 AM   #27  
handyandy1496
CF Member
 
handyandy1496's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Posts: 95
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

What you have will run 11's @ 121. I would add a 4000 stall and a cheep set of gmpp ported heads and I bet you will see 10's. Who needs a blower when you can launch a 1.3/1.4 60's with good dr's. That's where the fun is for cheep! That's like pulling a G and a half. Blower guys will have to play catch up unless they do the same but then they are changing to slicks and breaking parts. That's too much work and wallet for me. I love beating the the big wallets and expensive heavy Dodges and Camaro's. Oh, and those pesky ZO6 guys that can't shift. lol. And then there's my 418 98 T/A Ls2 stroker if I Feel the need.
handyandy1496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #28  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyandy1496 View Post
What you have will run 11's @ 121. I would add a 4000 stall and a cheep set of gmpp ported heads and I bet you will see 10's. Who needs a blower when you can launch a 1.3/1.4 60's with good dr's. That's where the fun is for cheep! That's like pulling a G and a half. Blower guys will have to play catch up unless they do the same but then they are changing to slicks and breaking parts. That's too much work and wallet for me. I love beating the the big wallets and expensive heavy Dodges and Camaro's. Oh, and those pesky ZO6 guys that can't shift. lol. And then there's my 418 98 T/A Ls2 stroker if I Feel the need.
Lol I agree with your first three lines cat below never caught up to me.

xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xBoostx For This Useful Post:
HC Mechanic (03-26-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #29  
Navy Blue 210
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Coast of San Mateo CA
Posts: 197
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default 500+ RWHP Daily Driver

I believe the OPs Goals are attainable relatively easy, but
Not cheap.

I had a 690 Flywheel HP/592 RWHP (so far)
LS3 Based 396" 4.175" X 3.600" Engine Built for my 99 C5,
not a daily driver but I obviously learned a lot
In the Process.

1. It starts with the HEADS! The best Heads will allow
For the most HP & All around performance with the
SMALLEST Cam.
I contacted Tony Mamo @ MAMOMOTORSPORTS (MMS)
For a set of his MMS LS3 Heads, TFS Version (He now offers
AFR versions as well couple lbs heavier better suited to
Big Boost/N2O IMO)
260 CC Port Flows 300 CFM @ .400", 350 @ .500", 383 @ .600"
Exhaust flows 75-70% (much better than most other
LS3s ported or Aftermarket. Allowing for smaller exhaust
splits (6-8*) VS 12-16 more typical, resulting in
Better driveability.
Mill for 12.5:1 Comp for E85.

2. HR Cam Motion Cam something Like
231*/237* .640"/.620" LSA 115+3
with short travel lifters, & Yella Terra Rockers.

3. Shifting at or below 7200 RPM have the Factory
Intake & Throttle Body Ported.
With E85 and a good tune 510-530 RWHP @ 6600-6800 RPM
Very friendly DD.

If you don't mind checking Lash ~5000 miles & changing
Springs ~15,000 miles Along with shifting @ 7500+ LOL
Cam Motion Low Lash Solid Roller. Add ~6-8* Duration
To equalize for Lash ~ 237*/245* .680"/.660" 115+3
FAST LS3 Intake W/Mid Length Runners for Track
~560-580 RWHP @ ~7200 RPM, Shift 7500+
Now you need higher end Rockers,Lifters & Springs.
People are going as far as 15K miles and more between
Having to adjust Lash, these are not your fathers
Solid Rollers LOL.

Tune is critical currently working on low speed (Idle to 2500 RPM
part throttle & transition, last Tuner was Unable/Unwilling to
Spend the time necessary to get the job correct.)
BUT that is with a 24 tooth reluctor wheel & 1999 PCM.
Point being the 58 tooth reluctor & MUCH MORE Modern
PCM in the hands of a Very Good to Great Tuner can get
What you want with a SMEDIUM Cam.
Good Luck.
Navy Blue 210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #30  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Op has E85 every where in his area should be easy for him.

The extra money in my case went to get the best parts to make it strong so I can do whatever I want and not having to worry.

I went llsr and got the solid roller lifter that will live and are rebuild able though expensive at about 850. a set my price is a must have not a part to skimp on then the rockers 1400. T&D Machine shaft mount I got about 4k miles on the heads and cam now and have not found any rocker with more than .002 thous out of original lash setting, shift points at 7200 limiter @ 7400

Just found a beautiful white C7 ZO6 on the way back home after a cruse by South Beach a couple of hours ago and the guy with his son next to him I imagine his son told him dad beat his alec that was a good contest 75 to 150 got him by 2 car lengths though his passed me by 2/3 feet at start sense he was coming from behind as i was waiting on him, I imagine he thought I had nitro or something -I don't.
xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #31  
handyandy1496
CF Member
 
handyandy1496's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Posts: 95
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Blue 210 View Post
I believe the OPs Goals are attainable relatively easy, but
Not cheap.

I had a 690 Flywheel HP/592 RWHP (so far)
LS3 Based 396" 4.175" X 3.600" Engine Built for my 99 C5,
not a daily driver but I obviously learned a lot
In the Process.

1. It starts with the HEADS! The best Heads will allow
For the most HP & All around performance with the
SMALLEST Cam.
I contacted Tony Mamo @ MAMOMOTORSPORTS (MMS)
For a set of his MMS LS3 Heads, TFS Version (He now offers
AFR versions as well couple lbs heavier better suited to
Big Boost/N2O IMO)
260 CC Port Flows 300 CFM @ .400", 350 @ .500", 383 @ .600"
Exhaust flows 75-70% (much better than most other
LS3s ported or Aftermarket. Allowing for smaller exhaust
splits (6-8*) VS 12-16 more typical, resulting in
Better driveability.
Mill for 12.5:1 Comp for E85.

2. HR Cam Motion Cam something Like
231*/237* .640"/.620" LSA 115+3
with short travel lifters, & Yella Terra Rockers.

3. Shifting at or below 7200 RPM have the Factory
Intake & Throttle Body Ported.
With E85 and a good tune 510-530 RWHP @ 6600-6800 RPM
Very friendly DD.

If you don't mind checking Lash ~5000 miles & changing
Springs ~15,000 miles Along with shifting @ 7500+ LOL
Cam Motion Low Lash Solid Roller. Add ~6-8* Duration
To equalize for Lash ~ 237*/245* .680"/.660" 115+3
FAST LS3 Intake W/Mid Length Runners for Track
~560-580 RWHP @ ~7200 RPM, Shift 7500+
Now you need higher end Rockers,Lifters & Springs.
People are going as far as 15K miles and more between
Having to adjust Lash, these are not your fathers
Solid Rollers LOL.

Tune is critical currently working on low speed (Idle to 2500 RPM
part throttle & transition, last Tuner was Unable/Unwilling to
Spend the time necessary to get the job correct.)
BUT that is with a 24 tooth reluctor wheel & 1999 PCM.
Point being the 58 tooth reluctor & MUCH MORE Modern
PCM in the hands of a Very Good to Great Tuner can get
What you want with a SMEDIUM Cam.
Good Luck.
`Hey navy
In my 98 t/a I have a 418 4.1 stroke 4.030 ls2 11.7cr gmpp ported heads.
The cam is a 235/250 620/600 lift 115+4.
It took forever to get the idle correct with hpt and stock computer. Got moral 5602's .030 preload racing lifters.
It runs strong to 7200. 7400 if I let it. Do you think I could go faster with the Fast mid length runners? No solids... Maybe 1.8 rockers? Making good power to 7400? Or should I just have the stock ls3 intake ported and call it a day at 7200?

Last edited by handyandy1496; 03-24-2018 at 11:59 PM.
handyandy1496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #32  
Navy Blue 210
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Coast of San Mateo CA
Posts: 197
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyandy1496 View Post
`Hey navy
In my 98 t/a I have a 418 4.1 stroke 4.030 ls2 11.7cr gmpp ported heads.
The cam is a 235/250 620/600 lift 115+4.
It took forever to get the idle correct with hpt and stock computer. Got moral 5602's .030 preload racing lifters.
It runs strong to 7200. 7400 if I let it. Do you think I could go faster with the Fast mid length runners? No solids... Maybe 1.8 rockers? Making good power to 7400? Or should I just have the stock ls3 intake ported and call it a day at 7200?
Handy,
Don't want to clutter OPs thread, but short answer is yes.
Your 4.1" Stroke has +13% more piston speed than the
3.625" Stroke. Your 6000 RPM ~ 6800 RPM,
Your 7000 RPM ~ 7900 RPM, you would give up some
Lb' in the 1500-4500 range but your HP Crossover ~
6000 RPM and 6000-7200 RPM would probably be
+~15-25 HP even more with 1.8 RR as long as you have
Good valve control. Tune will need to be adjusted as well.
Tony Mamo posted in Dyno section LS1 Tech similar
Combo with Results.
Navy Blue 210 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Navy Blue 210 For This Useful Post:
handyandy1496 (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #33  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

I'm using an ls3 intake manifold in my combo installed radius rods and it picked up quite a bit of power up top where it was lacking I cut the 3 inner vertical rods and match ported it to the heads as well so ports are aligned properly I did this myself any body can do it however a fast intake will work real well.

There's something very special to me about using the ls3 intake and ported by me throttle body, it makes the engine looks stock and short of amusement until people notice what you are doing with it.

Take a look.



xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBoostx For This Useful Post:
Corvalex (03-25-2018), HC Mechanic (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #34  
veneno
CF Senior Member
 
veneno's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Posts: 202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBoostx View Post
Op has E85 every where in his area should be easy for him.

The extra money in my case went to get the best parts to make it strong so I can do whatever I want and not having to worry.

I went llsr and got the solid roller lifter that will live and are rebuild able though expensive at about 850. a set my price is a must have not a part to skimp on then the rockers 1400. T&D Machine shaft mount I got about 4k miles on the heads and cam now and have not found any rocker with more than .002 thous out of original lash setting, shift points at 7200 limiter @ 7400

Just found a beautiful white C7 ZO6 on the way back home after a cruse by South Beach a couple of hours ago and the guy with his son next to him I imagine his son told him dad beat his alec that was a good contest 75 to 150 got him by 2 car lengths though his passed me by 2/3 feet at start sense he was coming from behind as i was waiting on him, I imagine he thought I had nitro or something -I don't.
man, cant wait to move I bought a house in boca raton in december coming from maryland. I got bolt-on ls3 drove it to florida for the closing of the house and it's been in the garage there ever since. First thing when I get there is installing my nitrous outlet kit gotta keep up with all those exotics in south beach
veneno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #35  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veneno View Post
man, cant wait to move I bought a house in boca raton in december coming from maryland. I got bolt-on ls3 drove it to florida for the closing of the house and it's been in the garage there ever since. First thing when I get there is installing my nitrous outlet kit gotta keep up with all those exotics in south beach
Welcome to south Florida there's nice 1/4 mile speed way in your area which happens to be where I play as you can see in the vid above.
xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:19 AM   #36  
jbsblownc5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jbsblownc5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 10,657
Thanked 458 Times in 229 Posts
C5 of Month Finalist 2017
St. Jude Donor '08
Default

I've got an 08 coupe, built bottom end (forged pistons, rods, and crank) Stock displacement...
stock angle milled headed, 12:1 comp custom cam,

All the bolt ons with a ported fast intake, tuned on Meth injection and Torco/91.

depending on dyno, 520-530s at the wheel. drives great, was out in it today!
jbsblownc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbsblownc5 For This Useful Post:
HC Mechanic (03-26-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #37  
Angel2993
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Huachuca Arizona
Posts: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 450 whp

Update on my build. 450WHP with CAI, headers, exhuast, and street tune.
242/238 @ 50 113 LSA compcam and updated tune this week.
Angel2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #38  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2993 View Post
Update on my build. 450WHP with CAI, headers, exhuast, and street tune.
242/238 @ 50 113 LSA compcam and updated tune this week.
Hey Angel pls don't get a cam that big 234 @ .050 on the intake should be max for a stock head ls3.
xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #39  
Angel2993
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Fort Huachuca Arizona
Posts: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So there was a bit of miscommunication with my mechanic and I. My heads are being CNC ported, I over looked that it was apart of the price we came to.
Thanks for bringing that up.
Angel2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #40  
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,763
Thanked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Those are beatifull graph lines with out a cam there Angel, great torque.
xBoostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 2008 LS3 NA Build
  •  
     
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: