C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch to buy ? Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Clutch to buy ? Opinions please

I have a bone stock 2005 z51 manual and I need a new pilot bearing ( I think, I'll know more when I take it apart). At 52K miles I might as well replace all the other wearable parts while I'm in there since I don't want to do this again. So my question what is the general consensus for replacement parts? I don't mind spending a bit more for quality, but I don't want to increase the clutch petal stiffness, maybe even lighten it a bit. Comments please.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Stock LS7 clutch or equal replacement
Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Prewoz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did the stock LS7 clutch on my 2006 Base Z51. No issues with the install, feels good as new. Don’t have any experience with other types of clutches to share with you.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Prewoz
Instructor

Also, just to note, I purchased a LS7 clutch upgrade kit from Tick Performance. It pretty much has everything you need for the clutch. But you’ll still have to buy the pilot bearing and other wearable parts. I’d recommend replacing the Slave Cylinder while you’re doing it, I have almost the same miles as yours, again 2006 and my slave was leaking. Tick also sells a billet support bracket for the slave that replaces the plastic one from the factory. They have a Clutch/hydraulic upgrade package which gives you a new Master, Slave, clutch, and braided hose. I left a review in the C6 general section if you want to see my opinions. PM if you have any other questions.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Stock LS7/3 clutch unless you plan on running 500+ rwhp, then dual disc Mantic.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

I would go with an LS7 clutch and flywheel. I would also make sure to replace the slave cylinder. Not a bad idea to install a remote bleeder while things are apart. Makes changing clutch fluid extremely easy.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Prewoz
Also, just to note, I purchased a LS7 clutch upgrade kit from Tick Performance. It pretty much has everything you need for the clutch. But you’ll still have to buy the pilot bearing and other wearable parts. I’d recommend replacing the Slave Cylinder while you’re doing it, I have almost the same miles as yours, again 2006 and my slave was leaking. Tick also sells a billet support bracket for the slave that replaces the plastic one from the factory. They have a Clutch/hydraulic upgrade package which gives you a new Master, Slave, clutch, and braided hose. I left a review in the C6 general section if you want to see my opinions. PM if you have any other questions.
Thank you!!!! That looks like a good deal, everything I need in one place. Did you buy the Stage 1 or 2? Also how's the clutch pedal ? My current GM pedal resistance (with a C5 spring) is near perfect for me now.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

We usually recommend either Monster or Mantic clutches for modified vehicles. On stock or lightly modded vehicles the LS7 clutch is a great option. We can help out with any of the misc parts as well such as bearings. Pm us or give us a call pricing.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Prewoz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dutch08
Thank you!!!! That looks like a good deal, everything I need in one place. Did you buy the Stage 1 or 2? Also how's the clutch pedal ? My current GM pedal resistance (with a C5 spring) is near perfect for me now.
I think Stage 1 and Stage 2 just applies to the performance clutches. The LS7 kit is the same clutch you would buy if you went to a Chevy dealer. It’s the standard clutch for all C6 models now I believe (I don’t know if ZR1 has a different one). So if you go with the LS7 kit it’s just the LS7 factory clutch. The Slave Cylinder is also factory GM. But you can buy an upgraded billet support bracket for it which replaces the plastic one on the factory slave. The adjustable master is still sitting in my garage, due to a hose issue I had to re-use the original factory master. Clutch feels more or less same as before I replaced the clutch. Read my review in the general C6 forum for more details or feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch to buy ? Opinions please

Quick Reply: Clutch to buy ? Opinions please