C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:26 PM
NHCorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls3 cam

I have 2008 Z51 6 spd manual. I'm looking for a cam that would replicate as close a possible the old school loppy sound of the earlier solid lifter small blocks. I'm not interested in making more power, my main objective is creating the nostalgic sound of those cars.

thanks
Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ft-comparison/
Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you want it for idle speed or slightly more, that can be done with a tune and the stock cam. IIRC you'll have to gut the cats too. You'd have the capability to change it back if/when you choose.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:45 PM
NHCorvette
Advanced

Thanks very good article!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Rod2013C6
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

G6X3 from LG Motorsports...I had a 2010 Camaro SS with the LS3 and this cam was nasty...turned heads where ever i went.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM
NHCorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
If you want it for idle speed or slightly more, that can be done with a tune and the stock cam. IIRC you'll have to gut the cats too. You'd have the capability to change it back if/when you choose.
Yes looking for strictly idle speed. My car currently has LG long tube headers with high-flow cats, X-pipe and BillyBoat Bullets (which are basically a chambered pipe, no mufflers). At this point I would most probably leave the exhaust as it is. Hopefully, leaving the cats won't be too much of an issue.

Do you know of anyone that does remote tunes and are proficient in what you're suggesting.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:44 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Try CoW. For what you're looking for, the GM hotcam might work.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

What about the ASA cam, I read that it sounds wicked.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM
NHCorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaybee924
What about the ASA cam, I read that it sounds wicked.

Thank you all for your input. Guess I got some homework here to follow up on!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:48 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NHCorvette
Just keep the overlap around 5.5 or less and you should be good with a good or decent driveability wise. A good tuner can bring the sound out of the cam for you.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Cam selection

I have 2008 Z51 6 spd manual. I'm looking for a cam that would replicate as close a possible the old school loppy sound of the earlier solid lifter small blocks. I'm not interested in making more power, my main objective is creating the nostalgic sound of those cars.

thanks
I also have an 08 Z51 manual and just had a BTR Stage 2 cam swap with double valve spring and trunion upgrade. Also, had the problematic harmonic balancer replaced with an ATI unit at the same time since it cost no more in labor. I had the shop do a dyno pull, video shows how it sounds at idle, and in the pull with my NPP muffler system. I don't know how to send it to you but I can give you the website of the installer and you can look at the dyno recording there. I think it does have a good idle lope which was what I was looking for, as well. The LS-3 responds well to a cam swap. Picked up about 12 to 15% horsepower gain, which is very noticeable. And, he says it will pass the state emissions sniff. Idles at 750rpm. I believe this is a very streetable cam for a manual transmission car. Would not be ideal for an auto trans car since the engine does do a little jerking action as it comes to a stop which can be overcome by just pushing the clutch in. Some a/t guys aren't going to want to be constantly bumping the shifter into neutral to overcome that.

Last edited by RobJoy; 04-26-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-27-2018, 07:05 AM
farmington
Safety Car

That's where a good torque converter comes into play. I put a Yank SS3600 in my 99 z28. You didn't even notice it was there until you hit the gas.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Anybody look at the Katech torquer?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 PM
NHCorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by RobJoy
I also have an 08 Z51 manual and just had a BTR Stage 2 cam swap with double valve spring and trunion upgrade. Also, had the problematic harmonic balancer replaced with an ATI unit at the same time since it cost no more in labor. I had the shop do a dyno pull, video shows how it sounds at idle, and in the pull with my NPP muffler system. I don't know how to send it to you but I can give you the website of the installer and you can look at the dyno recording there. I think it does have a good idle lope which was what I was looking for, as well. The LS-3 responds well to a cam swap. Picked up about 12 to 15% horsepower gain, which is very noticeable. And, he says it will pass the state emissions sniff. Idles at 750rpm. I believe this is a very streetable cam for a manual transmission car. Would not be ideal for an auto trans car since the engine does do a little jerking action as it comes to a stop which can be overcome by just pushing the clutch in. Some a/t guys aren't going to want to be constantly bumping the shifter into neutral to overcome that.
Thanks RobJoy. I'll look into the BTR Stage 2 Cam as well. I'm compiling all the recommendations here and will review it with the shop doing the work for me. They've done plenty of work on LSx engines, just want to try and select a cam that will provide the sound and have reasonable driving manners. Horsepower gain is nice but not as critical as the sound I'm trying to create. Sniffing is not a problem as the car is registered in Florida and there is no state inspections. I agree having the manual is a big plus here.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:08 PM
NHCorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Anybody look at the Katech torquer?
Thanks for the additional suggestion. From all the audio clips of the various recommendations so far, I'm leaning towards the G6X3. Need to review the technicals and review with my shop before making a final decision.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:52 AM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Thanks RobJoy. I'll look into the BTR Stage 2 Cam as well. I'm compiling all the recommendations here and will review it with the shop doing the work for me. They've done plenty of work on LSx engines, just want to try and select a cam that will provide the sound and have reasonable driving manners. Horsepower gain is nice but not as critical as the sound I'm trying to create. Sniffing is not a problem as the car is registered in Florida and there is no state inspections. I agree having the manual is a big plus here.
If you want a nice lope. Look at the that 21st century muscle cars CMC-30. 227/239 it has a nice lope. YouTube it, it sounds pretty darn good. Just putting it out there. It's 5.5 degrees overlap so driving manners sound be more than reasonable. The GX3 is more of a max effort cam and I know the overlap is high so I guess it's a matter of what you want to deal with. Under camming the car is better than over camming and not liking it. I wish you the best of luck on your decision and let us know which bump stick you going to put in it.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:22 PM
oonothin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put one of these in my 2010 ls3, Sounds pretty nasty and it is very easy on the valve train. It is basically a gm asa cam but just a little more aggressive,

https://www.jegs.com/i/Darrell-Russe...QaAk9AEALw_wcB
Old 04-30-2018, 06:49 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

the G.M. hot cam would sound pretty gnarly with the exhaust system you are running and have good driving manners

Get notified of new replies

To Ls3 cam

Quick Reply: Ls3 cam