C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Head Cam Swap - Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:12 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED1
+1

I would change the water pump gasket at least for piece of mind. Just about everything else can be reused but always make sure to inspect anything you reuse. We can set you up with a complete cam package if you like as well.
sent pm
Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

anyone running the tfs head bolts? They are significantly cheaper than the arp bolts, and I can't imagine TFS would put their name on a part that's sub par.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwebb
anyone running the tfs head bolts? They are significantly cheaper than the arp bolts, and I can't imagine TFS would put their name on a part that's sub par.
These are torque to yield so pretty much like the stock GM bolts. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I would spend the extra $60 and go ARP.

Last edited by MYCoupe; 05-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
These are torque to yield so pretty much like the stock GM bolts. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I would spend the extra $60 and go ARP.
Thanks. I want part number 134-3610, right?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Thanks. I want part number 134-3610, right?
That is correct!
Old 05-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Everything is starting to come together. Got cam spec'd, heads are going off to Tony Mamo tomorrow. Rick Crawford is working the intake and throttle body, I've begun ordering most of the additional parts as well.

3 bolt cam gear with LS2 chain and ls2 style chain dampener will be going on, as I'm convinced that the timing chain issue can be averted through use of the ls2 style dampener and a quality harmonic balancer.

ARP Head Bolts ordered (got a smokin memorial dat deal on ebay for $106 shipped).

I still need to order the pulley. Everyone says powerbond is good, but ATI is best. Not sure if I need to pay double for "the best" here (open to opinions though).

Still completely clueless on what to do regarding lifters. at 65,000 miles, I'm very much on the fence as to whether or not these need to be replaced on a ~500whp build. Opinions appreciated here as well.

I think I'm going to skip the oil pump for now, as it seems to be a bit of a pain in the neck to install, and if I start going down the list of "things that might not be a bad idea to replace while you're in there", it adds up to $1,000 bucks quick. I'm not trying to do this on the cheap, but I am hoping to do this for as close to $5k as possible.

Still debating on what oil I should be using with the cam as well. I currently run 0w40 castrol, but understand that a high zinc oil can benefit a cammed car. Anyone got suggestions based on experience here?

The last thing I'm considering is the z06 oil cooler that I have had laying around for a year now. I want to make keeping the car cool a priority. The car currently has the z51 stock oil cooler on it, but I think a little extra cooling capacity would go a long way at the track and in the mountains, especially on a hot day.

Thanks again to all of you guys who have been sharing your experiences and advice as I go through this process. It's really awesome that I have this kind of a resource when planning out something like this.

Daniel
The following users liked this post:
Navy Blue 210 (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 03:26 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

I would just go with the Powerbond HB. That's what I'll be using when I do my heads/cam swap. I'm also going to use the LS2 timing chain dampener along with Iwis seamless timing chain and LS2 cam gear (switching to 3 bolt).

As for lifters with that kind of mileage you can probably get away with what you have, but since they entail head removal for replacement it would be a wise move to do so now. I think stock LS7 lifters (and new plastic guides as well) would work well for you. These can be had as a "kit" on eBay for a little over $100.

Last edited by MYCoupe; 05-28-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

I would just go with the Powerbond HB. That's what I'll be using when I do my heads/cam swap. I'm also going to use the LS2 timing chain dampener along with Iwis seamless timing chain and LS2 cam gear (switching to 3 bolt).

As for lifters with that kind of mileage you can probably get away with what you have, but since they entail head removal for replacement it would be a wise move to do so now. I think stock LS7 lifters (and new plastic guides as well) would work well for you. These can be had as a "kit" on eBay for a little over $100.

I thought LS7 and LS3 lifters were the same part?
Old 05-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Everything is starting to come together. Got cam spec'd, heads are going off to Tony Mamo tomorrow. Rick Crawford is working the intake and throttle body, I've begun ordering most of the additional parts as well.

3 bolt cam gear with LS2 chain and ls2 style chain dampener will be going on, as I'm convinced that the timing chain issue can be averted through use of the ls2 style dampener and a quality harmonic balancer.

ARP Head Bolts ordered (got a smokin memorial dat deal on ebay for $106 shipped).

I still need to order the pulley. Everyone says powerbond is good, but ATI is best. Not sure if I need to pay double for "the best" here (open to opinions though)

Still completely clueless on what to do regarding lifters. at 65,000 miles, I'm very much on the fence as to whether or not these need to be replaced on a ~500whp build. Opinions appreciated here as well.

Still debating on what oil I should be using with the cam as well. I currently run 0w40 castrol, but understand that a high zinc oil can benefit a cammed car. Anyone got suggestions based on experience here?

Thanks again to all of you guys who have been sharing your experiences and advice as I go through this process. It's really awesome that I have this kind of a resource when planning out something like this.

Daniel
Congrats on going with MMS with your Heads.
PM Sent.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:41 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

I thought LS7 and LS3 lifters were the same part?
They are, but if you're searching on eBay they will be easier to find using LS7 in the search
Old 05-29-2018, 12:48 AM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

They are, but if you're searching on eBay they will be easier to find using LS7 in the search
Yeah.....because to advertise them as LS7 lifters sounds so much more impressive.

KW
Old 05-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Yeah.....because to advertise them as LS7 lifters sounds so much more impressive.

KW
gotta love that marketing.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Thoughts on lifters? The johnsons look nice but I feel they would be complete overkill for what I’m doing.

Daniel
Old 06-01-2018, 03:17 AM
KW Baraka
Racer

Thoughts on lifters? The johnsons look nice but I feel they would be complete overkill for what I’m doing.

Daniel
Pay top dollar for heads, good money on cam/exhaust/etc and cheap out on lifters.

Daniel.....there's no such thing as "overkill" when it come to quality parts; especially quality MOVING parts.

Just sayin'.

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 06-01-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I would add a cam position sensor to that list. I just had everything apart and my cps is going out. Would have been 35 seconds to replace with the motor out.

Maybe crank position sensor too but the cam seems to seems to have a shorter lifespan
Old 06-01-2018, 10:16 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default GM Racing

if you want the best GM lifters get p/n 88958689 kit developed for 24hr Corvette endurance racing.good for 8,000 rpm.shop around and you can find them for $300. for the set

Last edited by irok; 06-01-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Pay top dollar for heads, good money on cam/exhaust/etc and cheap out on lifters.

Daniel.....there's no such thing as "overkill" when it come to quality parts; especially quality MOVING parts.

Just sayin'.

KW

sure there is. You can spend 3000 bucks on lifters and rockers. For a motor spinning 7200rpm, neither of these are going to be week points if you invest in hardware that costs a third of that. There’s a difference between spending wisely and cheaping out.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Head Cam Swap - Parts List

Old 06-02-2018, 10:25 PM
KW Baraka
Racer

sure there is. You can spend 3000 bucks on lifters and rockers. For a motor spinning 7200rpm, neither of these are going to be week points if you invest in hardware that costs a third of that. There’s a difference between spending wisely and cheaping out.
But you ain't spending $3000 on lifters and rockers. We're talking about spending $550 to ensure that a $5000+ build gets the good parts that it deserves.

But hey......your engine.

KW
Old 06-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

But you ain't spending $3000 on lifters and rockers. We're talking about spending $550 to ensure that a $5000+ build gets the good parts that it deserves.

But hey......your engine.

KW

at this point I'm talking about the difference between morel and johhnson lifters. The same thing would apply to the YT vs Jezel Rocker setup. I don't think that picking either of the two "lesser" choices there, is cheaping out.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

A couple of questions about cooling.

First, GPI offers a heat shield deal on the bottom of your intake manifold that supposedly helps with heat soak around the intake air. Anyone have experience with this? Is it something worth doing? I could definitley see where it might knock a few degrees off IAT's.

Second, what do you guys think about the z51 > z06 oil cooler upgrade? I already have a z06 oil cooler laying around. Just wondering if I should sell it or install it.

Third, 160 degree t stat? Alot of people argue about these, but I see the value. It should definitely keep your AVERAGE temp for a 30 minute hpde session down. I'm not going to be running any endurance races, so I feel like this could be valuable for me.

Fourth, anyone have experience with upgraded radiator or fans? Is this overkill for my application? I realize I'm not going to be overheating with this setup and my use case, but I'd really like to minimize heat while running hard, to prevent the PCM from pulling too much timing due to IAT's.

Any other cooling suggestions?

Daniel

Quick Reply: LS3 Head Cam Swap - Parts List