C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good pads for z51 brakes

Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default good pads for z51 brakes

Need to replace the front & rear pads on my car, its a 2012 with z51 upgrade.. drilled/slotted rotors. Bought the car 4+ years ago and not sure exactly whats on there now, im assuming OEM pads.

All street use / spirited daily driving, but i do need good repeated stopping power from 160+ mph for those fun nights. Car is driven in the rain occasionally, but always like a grandma. 500 at the wheels.

mild dust and a little noise is acceptable for better performance. Carbotech 1521, powerstop z26, hawks?

thanks

Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 05-18-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger
Need to replace the front & rear pads on my car, its a 2012 with z51 upgrade.. drilled/slotted rotors. Bought the car 4+ years ago and not sure exactly whats on there now, im assuming OEM pads.

All street use / spirited daily driving, but i do need good repeated stopping power from 160+ mph for those fun nights. Car is driven in the rain occasionally, but always like a grandma. 500 at the wheels.

mild dust and a little noise is acceptable for better performance. Carbotech 1521, powerstop z26, hawks?

thanks
Check the RPO codes on the glovebox lid. You won't see Z51 there, but you'll find either J55 or JL9. If those rotors are drilled and slotted, they're aftermarket. You better measure the rotor diameters and the thickness before buying pads.
The following users liked this post:
Badmotorf1nger (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 AM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Check the RPO codes on the glovebox lid. You won't see Z51 there, but you'll find either J55 or JL9. If those rotors are drilled and slotted, they're aftermarket. You better measure the rotor diameters and the thickness before buying pads.
thanks, yeah i know for sure its the z51/j55 brake setup because the PO upgraded them himself and gave me the paperwork
Old 05-18-2018, 07:46 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

AC-Delco ceramic is an option. Low dust and stop fine. Base and Z51 pads are the same size.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Are you doing back to back 160 pulls? Do you have aftermarket cooling ducts? Im assuming car is SC...
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Are you doing back to back 160 pulls? Do you have aftermarket cooling ducts? Im assuming car is SC...
yes sometimes back to back.. no aftermarket ducts, the car is NA, big cam etc, it will be supercharged probably by the fall though
Old 05-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger
yes sometimes back to back.. no aftermarket ducts, the car is NA, big cam etc, it will be supercharged probably by the fall though
I have to be honest your going to need more than a low dust pad. In your case I would look at he AX6.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Yep, if your running 160MPH and coming down hard over and over again repatiable, then your going to create brake temps well above what most standard street pads can handle without burning up.

The Glitch on a race pads, your not going to be the best braking from the pad until the pad and rotor have warmed up to the needed temp instead. So race pad, stop and go traffic, they are going to semi suck on stopping the car when below their intended working temps instead.

As for the OEM J55 HD pad, it's aggressive Semi metallic pad that does have a slighter heat range than the jl9 pad (both are the same shape and sizes), but works well at lower street temps as well.

Truth is, I would pull the pads on the car, and try to figure out if they are the J55 HD pads to start with, or if someone replaced them with a standard JL9 pad instead. Hence since you have already been using the pads for the way you are driving now, will give you an idea of how the pads have been doing, and what is in the play in the car now.

Hell, who knows, and someone may have stuck cheap Duralast street Ceramic pads in the car, which are not heat rated for what your using the car for, and have no were the initial bite, feed back, or working temps of the J55 HD pad isntead.

And yes, there is a difference between the standard JL9, and the J55 HD pad materials, although both are the same shape and sizes instead.
In the first of the C6's, both where semi metallic, but the pad material on the HD pads is more aggressive, and has a higher working temp instead. On later models, the J55 stayed with the aggressive Semi metallic higher heat range pad, while the JL9 pads when to Ceramic pad instead.

If you can't figure out what pads are on the car, then post the numbers off the pads, and photo of the pads.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yep, if your running 160MPH and coming down hard over and over again repatiable, then your going to create brake temps well above what most standard street pads can handle without burning up.

The Glitch on a race pads, your not going to be the best braking from the pad until the pad and rotor have warmed up to the needed temp instead. So race pad, stop and go traffic, they are going to semi suck on stopping the car when below their intended working temps instead.

As for the OEM J55 HD pad, it's aggressive Semi metallic pad that does have a slighter heat range than the jl9 pad (both are the same shape and sizes), but works well at lower street temps as well.

Truth is, I would pull the pads on the car, and try to figure out if they are the J55 HD pads to start with, or if someone replaced them with a standard JL9 pad instead. Hence since you have already been using the pads for the way you are driving now, will give you an idea of how the pads have been doing, and what is in the play in the car now.

Hell, who knows, and someone may have stuck cheap Duralast street Ceramic pads in the car, which are not heat rated for what your using the car for, and have no were the initial bite, feed back, or working temps of the J55 HD pad isntead.

And yes, there is a difference between the standard JL9, and the J55 HD pad materials, although both are the same shape and sizes instead.
In the first of the C6's, both where semi metallic, but the pad material on the HD pads is more aggressive, and has a higher working temp instead. On later models, the J55 stayed with the aggressive Semi metallic higher heat range pad, while the JL9 pads when to Ceramic pad instead.

If you can't figure out what pads are on the car, then post the numbers off the pads, and photo of the pads.
thanks a lot for all the replies, im gonna pull the pads as soon as I can & post pics, will go from there
Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

No worries, but just a heads up, and I chew through OEM J55 HD pads in about 30K of street uses. Really less, since when I road course the car, the tires and pads get pulled and replaced with my R tires and race pads for such events, the HD pad and street go back on afterwards.

Also with the upgraded Z51 kit, do the rotors look like OEM rotors, or are they aftermarket isntead. Hence someone could have done an aftermarket type Z51 brake upgrade, and some of the aftermarket pads that come with the kits are junk as well.

If the pads are oem HD pads,
J55 HD front pads are gm#19152862 ,
and the rear J-55 HD pads are GM#89026853

IN A/C Delco numbers,
ACDelco 171-0946 front
ACDelco 171-0964 rears

What the pads should look like.

And what the rotors should look like,

Last edited by Dano523; 05-18-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

On the street I use Carbotech 1521 pads.

Good initial bite. No noise. Low dust. Long lasting. Easy on rotors. Not cheap.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:56 PM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Dano & Larry, in your opinion how do the Carbotech 1521 compare in
stopping power to the OEM GM hd pads?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimmyS5600
Dano & Larry, in your opinion how do the Carbotech 1521 compare in
stopping power to the OEM GM hd pads?
Thanks
Very close to each other.
But your giving up some slightly higher working temp range of the OEM HD pads, for the lower dusting of the 1521's instead.

Simply, neither pad has the temp range to high speed road course work and not burning them up, but the Oem HD pads do have a working temp range high enough to autocross them, while Carbontech suggest the Ax6 pad for autocross isntead.
Note, This never make sense to me, since autocross is a single run of the course from dead stop on cold tires/brakes, and with the AX6 pads not coming up to temp until 150*, means the first few corners of braking is going to be less than ideal instead.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Dano523
Very close to each other.
But your giving up some slightly higher working temp range of the OEM HD pads, for the lower dusting of the 1521's instead.

Simply, neither pad has the temp range to high speed road course work and not burning them up, but the Oem HD pads do have a working temp range high enough to autocross them, while Carbontech suggest the Ax6 pad for autocross isntead.
Note, This never make sense to me, since autocross is a single run of the course from dead stop on cold tires/brakes, and with the AX6 pads not coming up to temp until 150*, means the first few corners of braking is going to be less than ideal instead.
You can use the 1521 to Auto X with no issue.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 AM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Dano,thanks for your advise. I would agree with the autocross colder
brake temp.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimmyS5600
Dano,thanks for your advise. I would agree with the autocross colder
brake temp.
No worries, but figure out what the old pads are, and how well they where doing with your normal brake temp ranges.

This will give you an ideal of the heat range you are running the brakes on the street, and if you need to go with a pad that has a higher working temp to start with.

Get notified of new replies

To good pads for z51 brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: good pads for z51 brakes