C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempting to install a bigger cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 PM
4rn4dnr
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempting to install a bigger cam

I've done several tow cams In the past ,on old school 350s. I have a c6 I would like to attempt to cam my self. The question is: "can I cam and keep the lifters and push rods. If yes what cam size is recommended?"
Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 AM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 4rn4dnr
I've done several tow cams In the past ,on old school 350s. I have a c6 I would like to attempt to cam my self. The question is: "can I cam and keep the lifters and push rods. If yes what cam size is recommended?"
You can use your current lifters with any hydraulic roller cam.

Push rods? Hard to tell. But the safest bet there would be the GMPP Hot Cam and the GMPP ASA Cam.

Both come in GM crate engines where the ONLY difference between the base 430hp LS3, the 485hp LS3 and the 525hp LS3.....are the cams.

Best of luck!

KW
Old 05-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Lets back it up, and with a cam, what are you going after?

If major power, then how much, since at some point over the 540 mark on a LS3, the motor will be undriveable in city stop and go traffic with all the surging the motor will have at lower RPM's.

Next, with a higher lift cam, will need to change the valve springs (going to be a thing that will need to be done at the 30K mark as well again), and make sure you have the valve clearance to the top of pistons as well. As for lifters, radical cam lobs tend to do a number on the lifter rollers, so radical enough cam, you could be replacing lifters when you are replacing vavle springs around the 30K mark as well. Hell, Trust is, on a LS3 over the 550hp mark with a wicked radical lob cam, you will be replacing the cam at the 30Kish mark as well.

Push rods, are a crap shoot, since the new cam may not be ground to the same center line on the back side non lob running surfaces, requiring longer push rods instead.

Bottom line, changing to a performance cam is not just just changing a water pump, and has to be well planned out to get it all right so you don't destroy the motor. Also, most will require the motor to be re-tuned for the new cam, may need larger fuel injectors for the added HP, as well as may require a higher volume fuel pump to keep up with the new larger injectors as well.

On the other hand, if you looking for 600hp plus, easy to get there with a super charger instead; on the stock motor, and will drive just like the stock motor in stop and go traffic isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-22-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 AM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
......with a wicked radical lob cam, you will be replacing the cam at the 30Kish mark as well......
If you're changing out a cam at 30K miles.....you did something wrong.

KW
Old 05-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
If you're changing out a cam at 30K miles.....you did something wrong.

KW
Would love to agree with you, but has seen radical race cams for peak RPM HP cause wear to the rollers on the lifters in quick order, which in turn, does surface damage back to the cam lob surfaces as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Attempting to install a bigger cam

Quick Reply: Attempting to install a bigger cam