C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt wear LS7 motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:49 PM
rebar
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Belt wear LS7 motor

An independent mechanic told me that the belt is wearing and the harmonic balancer may be out of balance and need replacement. Is this accurate? See photos above.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:01 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by rebar

An independent mechanic told me that the belt is wearing and the harmonic balancer may be out of balance and need replacement. Is this accurate? See photos above.
If the belt is actually wearing incorrectly, I'd expect to see issues on the inner ribbed part, not the outer.

To find out if it's truly out of balance why not just start the car and look to see if it's spinning smoothly? When these start to go they're usually pretty obvious.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:53 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes that is adnormal wear. Yes it is common for balancers to go out, but like Subfloor said, just fire it up and look. Easy to tell.

If balancer looks good, I would just swap a new belt on. I've seen that wear before from cars that are raced and spend a lot of time at high RPM. The tensioner can't keep up and belt flops around. If it is a car that will live at high RPM, the katech tensioner seems to help.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Being that the back the belt only rides against the water pump and idler pulleys, would pull the belt to check these two pulleys to make sure they are still smooth/nothing has embedded into them, since they are the only two pulleys that do make contact to the outside of the belt.

From there, would start the motor with the belt back on, and watch the belt adjuster pulley next.

Hence if you have a bearing going out in the one of the pulley's, or the HB balance is wobbling badly, your going to see the belt adjuster pulley bouncing a lot; instead of holding fast in a stationary type position isntead.

Lastly, with the higher reving of the LS7, this can cause a lot of belt slack/slap at high rev's, even the belt tensioner spring on the newer stronger side and still not able to keep up with the needed belt tension.
So if needed, you replace the spring tension belt tensioner with a billet type tensioner that you set the belt tension via adjustments and lock it in place isntead. The down side, you need to check the belt tension and adjust the fixed tensioner as needed isntead. The fact that you mention a independent mechanic, tells me that you are not wrenching on the car yourself, and this fixed tensioner may be a worse option for you (can not serviced enough for it to be adjusted as needed enough instead).

Last edited by Dano523; 05-23-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 PM
rebar
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. This car was never raced and only has 11,000 miles on it. Rarely high revved.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt wear LS7 motor

Quick Reply: Belt wear LS7 motor