C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Temps on a Long drive during Summer -

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:57 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Hum..My 08 did not have the new fluid..The dealer even put in a new clutch pack with the new stuff.
Mine had the new stuff and I only changed it at 98K miles at the request of the dealer who wanted to be sure the noise was a wheel hub and not the rear gears.

Mine has a born on date of 10-30-07. What's your's?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Mine had the new stuff and I only changed it at 98K miles at the request of the dealer who wanted to be sure the noise was a wheel hub and not the rear gears.

Mine has a born on date of 10-30-07. What's your's?
February 2008.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I did not have my changed until sometime in 2009.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:52 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

February 2008.
My only possible explanation would be that the stock of the 2.56 and 3.42 gears ran out earlier than the stock of 2.73's. That's all I got.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:38 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

My only possible explanation would be that the stock of the 2.56 and 3.42 gears ran out earlier than the stock of 2.73's. That's all I got.
I have 273 gears,anyway the service manager said that the new oil was added to the 2009s which would of been released for sell in the last quarter of 2008 or?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:43 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
A 160* T-stat along with the fan reprogramed will help keep the average ECT's down because it starts the cooling process sooner, however once any T-stat is fully open, the air flow thru the radiator, radiator cooling capacity and ambient temps will determine you ECT's.

As Hoxxoh stated, the 200*+ ECT's are for emissions. I believe the ECT sweet spot for power is around 190*F.

Also, the stock tune will start pulling timing once the ECT's reach 212*F.
1. Don't remember where I saw this but info referred to Mobil 1 oil needing temps above 200? degrees in order to burn the engine contaminants out of the oil thus keeping it cleaner and stable over a longer period of time.
2. Yeah. An earlier-opening t-stat is not necessarily going to keep an engine from overheating.
3. Retaining the underbody spoiler at the front of the car will push air up and thru the radiator whereas removing the spoiler (deflector) will cause the air passing under the car to draw incoming air thru the grille down and away from radiator so that it doesn't pass thru the radiator, and can lead to overheating.
4. Guy who tuned my LS-3 after cam job set up radiator fan for staged cooling up to 217 degrees at which point the fan runs at maximum, but not greater than 88% since it seems this is where GM wants to keep it so the fan electrical connectors will not start to overheat and degrade.

Last edited by RobJoy; 06-07-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJoy
1. Don't remember where I saw this but info referred to Mobil 1 oil needing temps above 200? degrees in order to burn the engine contaminants out of the oil thus keeping it cleaner and stable over a longer period of time.
2. Yeah. An earlier-opening t-stat is not necessarily going to keep an engine from overheating.
3. Retaining the underbody spoiler at the front of the car will push air up and thru the radiator whereas removing the spoiler (deflector) will cause the air passing under the car to draw incoming air thru the grille down and away from radiator so that it doesn't pass thru the radiator, and can lead to overheating.
4. Guy who tuned my LS-3 after cam job set up radiator fan for staged cooling up to 217 degrees at which point the fan runs at maximum, but not greater than 88% since it seems this is where GM wants to keep it so the fan electrical connectors will not start to overheat and degrade.
1. I installed a 160* T-stat and have an EOC in my Dewitts radiator and normal oil temps are around 220*. Yes, the 200*+ oil temps will help burn off moisture and contaminates in the oil pan.

2. Yes, a lower T-stat will not help overheating. However, a lower T-stat starts the cooling process sooner which help keep average coolant temps down along with reprogramming the fan duty cycle. Opening the T-stat later and using the stock fan duty cycle keeps average coolant temps in a higher range. This is what the car was designed to do for emissions. At idle or stop and go traffic, coolant temperature is dependent on air flow thru the radiator and cooling capacity of the radiator. If the coolant process starts sooner and the fan is programed to start sooner your average temps at idle or stop and go traffic will be reduced. However, once radiator air flow becomes insufficient and ECT's rise, the T-stat has passed the opening point and will not prevent overheating.

4. GM"s tune sets the fan at 90% maximum, and yes any higher risks melting the fan connector. One method in preventing this is to by-pass the connector by soldering the 3 wires directly. Even though I have by passed the connector my max fan setting is still 90% starting at 210*F.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 06-07-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You put a 160 in n a hot day it is like no thermo , coolant runs through the rad but doesnot stay long enough to cool ,once all the coolant is heated ,only the fans help regulate the temp, low thermo in a hot climate is not the ideal.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yokesc5
You put a 160 in n a hot day it is like no thermo , coolant runs through the rad but doesnot stay long enough to cool ,once all the coolant is heated ,only the fans help regulate the temp, low thermo in a hot climate is not the ideal.
Would you agree on a hot day coolant temps will easily reach 200*F? If so, once coolant temps reaches 200*F both the 160* and 187* (oem) T-stats are fully opened and coolant flows thru the radiator at the same rate. The t-stat has done it's job! The fan is designed to work at idle and low speeds, then shuts off as you increase to highway speeds.

GM designed their t-stats to fail in the open position to prevent overheating!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 06-08-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Would you agree on a hot day coolant temps will easily reach 200*F? If so, once coolant temps reaches 200*F both the 160* and 187* (oem) T-stats are fully opened and coolant flows thru the radiator at the same rate. The t-stat has done it's job! The fan is designed to work at idle and low speeds, then shuts off as you increase to highway speeds.
At 110* ambient I can drop the temps to 175-180 with a 160 stat if I drive at a steady 60 MPH. I couldn't do that with a 187 stat. The fan doesn't move air fast enough even at 90% at low car speeds.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:51 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm certainly not a proponent of mixing brands of any fluids, especially trans fluid. The trans was developed and tested for wear and endurance using Dexron VI. Since the OEM fill is 13.24 quarts and a pan drop only drains 6.5 quarts, there's still more than 6 quarts of old stuff in there. The only way you'll get it all out, is to take out the TC and drain the lines to the cooler.
You're only taking a 12-1400 mile round trip, so I'd be more concerned about something going wrong right after a fluid change, than any possible problem with the current fluid.

If you know the "born on date" is before Nov '07, then do the diff fluid change after the trip. Otherwise, don't bother until 150K miles. The factory fill changed sometime in Sept/Oct to the fluid that includes the right amount of friction modifier. Dexron LS gear oil, P/N 88862624.

Unless you are doing the work yourself and understand how it needs to be done, having someone else do stuff for you, is not a good thing just before leaving town on a trip. If they screw up, even just a little bit, you'll be stuck in unfamiliar territory.

BTW, when you got your oil changed, did they grease the rear tie rod ends?
When I called the dealer about the tranny fluid change, and my concern about it, he said he'd use the tranny pump to get ALL the fluid exchanged (incl changing of the Tranny filter). It's a 2 job process (changing the filter/fluid + complete Flush). He also said that he could use Amsoil for an additional $100 charge instead of the GM tranny fluid. That's what they use on Corvettes.

I do agree doing such a service right before a long trip in Summer is "taking chances." However, I am also thinking "on the positive side" NEW Fluids might keep the car better lubricated and protect from the heat. It's like flipping a coin...

Probably the same for Diff fluid drain & fill also - GM vs Amsoil. Now Vs later...

The Coolant will be flushed and done by me at home - I think it's a simple task.

The oil was recently changed by me. So no rear tie end rods were greased.

Yes: have the diff fluid changed.
GM came out with a new oil in 2008,you should of got a SB about it.Easy job 2.2 qts of OEM oil only!!!.Coolant is five years or xxxxxxxxxmiles.After you flush the old out add Dex-Cool and pure water to about 70/30 mix will run cooler and boil over will not happen until around 250 degrees.
I thought 50/50 was the standard. I bought 1 Jug of Dexcool + Distilled Water. That was my plan. Now I'm a bit confused - 70/30 ratio is best? (I'm assuming you're saying 70% Dexcool + 30% Water, means I gotta buy one more Jug of Dexcool)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

I just did a small trip this weekend to San Francisco overnight. Going through Mill Valley today here's what my temps were -
Road conditions: Uphill / slow traffic (15 - 35 mph).
Outside temps: Nice sunny day 63* with the cool ocean breeze.
Tranny: in "D" & sometimes "S" paddle shifting 2nd/3rd gear. Tranny temps: 208.
Engine Temp: 225
Coolant: 210.

Speeds increase to 50-70 mph. Outside temps: 63-72*
Tranny: 203 - 198.

I need to keep a Notepad to really track the details

If these are my temps in San Francisco on a 63-72* day, I am worried what it's going to be when I go to Vegas where outside temps are 110.

Although GM may have designed these cars to run HOT , I'm trying to find out how to keep it COOL.

P.S: I had a 1999 C5 (A4). I had added a B&M tranny cooler, and a fan tune which helped improve temps by overall 10-15 degrees, or so I think...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 06-11-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
When I called the dealer about the tranny fluid change, and my concern about it, he said he'd use the tranny pump to get ALL the fluid exchanged (incl changing of the Tranny filter). It's a 2 job process (changing the filter/fluid + complete Flush). He also said that he could use Amsoil for an additional $100 charge instead of the GM tranny fluid. That's what they use on Corvettes.

I do agree doing such a service right before a long trip in Summer is "taking chances." However, I am also thinking "on the positive side" NEW Fluids might keep the car better lubricated and protect from the heat. It's like flipping a coin...

Probably the same for Diff fluid drain & fill also - GM vs Amsoil. Now Vs later...

The Coolant will be flushed and done by me at home - I think it's a simple task.

The oil was recently changed by me. So no rear tie end rods were greased.

I thought 50/50 was the standard. I bought 1 Jug of Dexcool + Distilled Water. That was my plan. Now I'm a bit confused - 70/30 ratio is best? (I'm assuming you're saying 70% Dexcool + 30% Water, means I gotta buy one more Jug of Dexcool)
Run away from that dealer. He lied to you. There is no way you can empty all the fluid unless you pull out the torque converter. Removing and replacing the TC requires dropping the exhaust, rear suspension, and transmission, before you can get to the TC. That'd take several hours. Once you hear the word "flush" when talking about transmissions, you know it's not good. The owner's manual doesn't recommend a fluid change until 100K miles. Even then it's only drop the pan and change the filter, which only uses 6-7 quarts.

I'm sure Cherokee Nation meant 70% water and 30% Dexcool for better cooling, but 50-50 will work fine for you

Personally I think you're going overboard in preparation for such a short drive. Change the coolant, since you already bought it. It's only 541 miles, so just fill the gas tank and enjoy the drive.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:41 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Run away from that dealer. He lied to you. There is no way you can empty all the fluid unless you pull out the torque converter. Removing and replacing the TC requires dropping the exhaust, rear suspension, and transmission, before you can get to the TC. That'd take several hours. Once you hear the word "flush" when talking about transmissions, you know it's not good. The owner's manual doesn't recommend a fluid change until 100K miles. Even then it's only drop the pan and change the filter, which only uses 6-7 quarts.

I'm sure Cherokee Nation meant 70% water and 30% Dexcool for better cooling, but 50-50 will work fine for you

Personally I think you're going overboard in preparation for such a short drive. Change the coolant, since you already bought it. It's only 541 miles, so just fill the gas tank and enjoy the drive.
Correct HOXXOH...70% water and 30% Dexcool or somewhere in between.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 06-11-2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: correct
Old 06-12-2018, 12:11 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Hey guys,

Just did a recent trip to Reno from Bay Area, CA. It's a Base C6 Vert / A6.

Outside temps went from 95-98*. My car's temps were: Coolant 210, Oil 235, Tranny (A6) 200+...

I am planning to take a trip to Vegas in Summer - temps in the Death Valley will be 120+, Vegas is about 110+. With those temps and long stretch of drive through the desserts/etc, I am worried about my car's temps.

C6 Z51s come with oil & tranny coolers...I am wondering similar parts (or better aftermarket parts) can be installed in a Base C6. What parts would I need, how labor intensive is it? I have bought a 160* Stat, not sure how much that would help.

Thanks!
I live in Reno just did a 500 mile trip to the North Bay and back 2008 C6 Z51 A6 Coupe with the top off. Outside temps 90 @ 72 MPH engine oil temp 230-235 Coolant 196 trans temp 174 does have factory engine and transmission oil coolers. Also got 27.9 MPG Zero problems. Your temps are normal. If you put a 160 in it once it's open it will have no affect for extra cooling.

Last edited by jeffs64; 06-12-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Correct HOXXOH...70% water and 30% Dexcool or somewhere in between.
I've been reading that in a few other places also on different car forums. 70/30 seems to be the "new" 50/50. BTW, since I'm in California, do I really need the 50/50? I understand water (Distilled) does better cooling than the Antifreeze/Coolant. Some guys even recommended using 70% (water) 30% (Coolant) + 1-2 bottles of Water Wetter in this combination, since WW works better with water. Anyone adding Redline's Water Wetter?

(Anyone using the "Super Flush" by Prestone while doing a Radiator Flush? I'm gonna tackle it today.)

Originally Posted by jeffs64
I live in Reno just did a 500 mile trip to the North Bay and back 2008 C6 Z51 A6 Coupe with the top off. Outside temps 90 @ 72 MPH engine oil temp 230-235 Coolant 196 trans temp 174 does have factory engine and transmission oil coolers. Also got 27.9 MPG Zero problems. Your temps are normal. If you put a 160 in it once it's open it will no affect for extra cooling.
Well, for one... You have a Z51, which has Oil, tranny and P/S coolers. The base model doesn't have those I think...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 06-12-2018 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:16 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

I've been reading that in a few other places also on different car forums. 70/30 seems to be the "new" 50/50. BTW, since I'm in California, do I really need the 50/50? I understand water (Distilled) does better cooling than the Antifreeze/Coolant. Some guys even recommended using 70% (water) 30% (Coolant) + 1-2 bottles of Water Wetter in this combination, since WW works better with water. Anyone adding Redline's Water Wetter?

(Anyone using the "Super Flush" by Prestone while doing a Radiator Flush? I'm gonna tackle it today.)

Well, for one... You have a Z51, which has Oil, tranny and P/S coolers. The base model doesn't have those I think...
70/30 too much water. More like 50/50 is recommended. The WW helps but not much. I sold it it for years in the parts business

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Temps on a Long drive during Summer -

Old 06-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jeffs64

70/30 too much water. More like 50/50 is recommended. The WW helps but not much. I sold it it for years in the parts business
My understanding is water is the best thing for cooling. Antifreeze/Coolant does a job mainly for Antifreeze in cold weather, it does nothing to keep the temps down. 50/50 maybe the best bet for overall weather, but in hot conditions wouldn't it make sense to do 70/30?

Also, what's the take on flushing the radiator with Super Flush, while doing the Flush? Then fill it up with Dexcool + Distilled water?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:37 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

My understanding is water is the best thing for cooling. Antifreeze/Coolant does a job mainly for Antifreeze in cold weather, it does nothing to keep the temps down. 50/50 maybe the best bet for overall weather, but in hot conditions wouldn't it make sense to do 70/30?

Also, what's the take on flushing the radiator with Super Flush, while doing the Flush? Then fill it up with Dexcool + Distilled water?
yes I agree. Dexcool has a much higher boiling point. So if temps get too hot antifreeze or dexcool is much better. I lived in Tucson for ten years take my word for it water in a radiator won’t cut it. Try to boil dexcool and see what I mean.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Update: So I removed about a gallon of 50/50 coolant mix and added one bottle of Red Line water wetter and remainder distilled water. I drove in stop and go traffic with 79* weather, engine coolant temps seem to have dropped a few degrees and staying more stable. I need to do further testing in hotter weather and highway speeds to compare. My car is boosted and drive it only on weekends.

I do not have engine coolant issues, but just trying to keep coolants temps down so not to trigger any K.R. (knock retard).

Dewitts radiator, reprogramed fan, 160* T-stat and now one bottle of Red Line water wetter.

Stay tune for a later update.
The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (06-13-2018)

Quick Reply: C6 Temps on a Long drive during Summer -