C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to start playing with performance, now which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Time to start playing with performance, now which way to go?

I have a 2011 GS and after putting 4k miles on it, I am ready to start playing with the performance aspect. Coming from bikes, I find the GS an entirely new world and I just don't know enough about what steps to take and in what order. I find the throttle response to be sluggish as well as the shifting of my automatic transmission. I have read about the various throttle boosters and that sounds like a solution to that issue. The various tuneup packages offered by groups such as CoW are very interesting, but I am not sure how to proceed.

Should I install a throttle booster first and then move onto a tuneup? At this time I am not going to go into the aftermarket bolt on area such as CAI or headers, but that will come. Right now I want to see what this engine has as it is right now.

The AutoCal product has my curiousity piqued. How does it stack up against other products of it's genre? I understand you email your stock tune to him and he will email tuneups back to. What are the differences of these various tuneups when compared to each other?

Any input on which direction to go would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

A fairly quick and relatively not too expensive set of mods to "liven up" your LS3 based on the real world costs and performance gains would be a set of Z06 exhaust manifolds and exhaust system to allow the engine to breathe, then find a good tuner who will change the parameters which fully allow the electronic controls to let the engine make all it's performance while still maintaining street driveability……………….

your 436HP less the average 15% loss through drivetrain may make about 370 RWHP in stock configuration and these mods should put you in the 400+ RWHP range easily if done correctly...…….
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
A fairly quick and relatively not too expensive set of mods to "liven up" your LS3 based on the real world costs and performance gains would be a set of Z06 exhaust manifolds and exhaust system to allow the engine to breathe, then find a good tuner who will change the parameters which fully allow the electronic controls to let the engine make all it's performance while still maintaining street driveability……………….

your 436HP less the average 15% loss through drivetrain may make about 370 RWHP in stock configuration and these mods should put you in the 400+ RWHP range easily if done correctly...…….

I am saving the header/exhaust system and CAI, to be my winter project. I know there is horsepower hidden in the engine that can easily be tapped with a tune. Emission standards have undoubtedly forced GM to detune the engine and since Iowa has no inspection process for vehicles, I'd like to start there. Perking up the transmission shifts is definitely high on my want to do list ASAP. The throttle boosters just make sense to me.

Last edited by Mcrider; 06-12-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,666 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Vitesse will solve your sluggish throttle response - I have it and it's one of the best mods I have done. Tuning will solve your shifting issues, and performance will feel greatly enhanced by simply getting rid of most or all of the torque management. You can likely bump the timing a degree or two in both the low and high octane tables without any issues (I had no knock when I did this). My personal recommendation is definitely go with a custom tune (and work with someone who will take driving scans, then tweak the various parameters to your preferences) over a handheld, or buy HPTuners and learn to do it yourself. I have been using HPT for quite a few years now.

CoW may be a good tuner, but I personally don't care for his used car salesman tactics, and it's been like that for the 11 years I have been a forum member. The old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" would seem to apply in this case. There are lots of options for tuners; just search the performance and scan/tune portion of the forum, do your due diligence, and make your choice.

Last edited by BadAV; 06-13-2018 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mcrider (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:18 AM
oonothin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam swap, headers, intake and dyno tune. I just finished a cam and headers on mine and it's fast as hell now. Huge difference.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM
dustbusterplus
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Vitesse throttle controller and Diablo Intune and those seemed to wake up the automatic and throttle input as well as modifying the tune somewhat. While I know it isn't as good as dyno/street tuning, it is relatively cost efficient, as you can always reinstall the factory tune settings and sell the Intune when you proceed with the bolt-ons and dyno tuning. This is what I'm planning to do once I have a cam installed to accompany my Z06 manifolds and ported intake.
The following users liked this post:
Mcrider (06-13-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 PM
KBu
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I know your postponing the CAI,headers,etc.till winter but here's my experience.'13 GS A6.Tried Diablosport Itune first.Didn't do what I wanted and sold it.Installed Pfadt headers,X pipe with hi flow cats,AFE CAI and dyno tune.Transmission much improved,431 rwhp and I believe 425 rwtq.Now it's alot more fun to drive.I'd save my money on the tuning till I had the other mods done.Just my opinion.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oonothin
Cam swap, headers, intake and dyno tune. I just finished a cam and headers on mine and it's fast as hell now. Huge difference.
Which cam and which headers? What size headers? What was your rwhp dyno after?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

If you do a cam you will also need a good torque converter. Actually, do the exhaust , converter, and tune at the same time. You might not need the cam at that point.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Derek Adams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two builds in mind for fast hp gains, nitrious, cam, stall verter, or cam pro charger verter . Anything to put me close to 9s. That’s if drivetrain would hold with sticky tires
Old 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,180 Likes on 680 Posts

People love the throttle booster, but I'm fine just moving my right foot a bit more. I'd do a tune, but like others have said, it probably makes sense to do it after your exhaust mods if you are considering a swap to Z06 manifolds or headers within a few months. From the factory, part throttle shift points and gear changes are set for economy and comfort. Just raising the part throttle shift points and quickening the shifts a bit makes the car much more responsive.

You don't really discuss your ultimate goals, time table to get there, budget, drivability constraints, and how the car is, and will be used. It's hard to recommend solutions without a complete picture.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 07-11-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 PM
oonothin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Which cam and which headers? What size headers? What was your rwhp dyno after?
I went with the texas speed headers, no cats 1 7/8. I put in a howards asa cam which let me keep the stock valve springs. Just had to change the cam gear. I got a street tune so i don't have any numbers for you but a few guys with ls3 Camaros got 480whp out of it with headers, intake and a tune. It has a really nice chop to it which shakes my car. Great cam i would highly recommend it.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dustbusterplus
I have the Vitesse throttle controller and Diablo Intune and those seemed to wake up the automatic and throttle input as well as modifying the tune somewhat. While I know it isn't as good as dyno/street tuning, it is relatively cost efficient, as you can always reinstall the factory tune settings and sell the Intune when you proceed with the bolt-ons and dyno tuning. This is what I'm planning to do once I have a cam installed to accompany my Z06 manifolds and ported intake.
This is the direction I would go until you move to headers or even a cam. Both the Vitesse and the Diablosport. I started with the canned 93 tune, then went ahead and did a diablew tune via email. It was a night and sat difference. I've heard it's even more noticeable on an automatic.

After I installed the cam, etc I obviously needed a dyno tune​​​​​​. I sold the Diablosport here for nearly what I paid for it (I also bought it from a member here used). Also got rid of the Vitesse at that point.

Last edited by doomi; 07-11-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Time to start playing with performance, now which way to go?

Quick Reply: Time to start playing with performance, now which way to go?