C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing Cold-Air Intake for a C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 AM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Vararam SC1 Cold-Air Intake for a C6 (was Blkwng)

Just bought my 2007 C6, and here in the Denver area I'm thinking my first Mod might be a Cold-Air Intake. Is the Blackwing unit a good idea? Or should I NOT skimp, and instead get one of the more expensive units? Thanks for advice.

Last edited by vezePilot; 06-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Depends on what you're looking for. I was shocked at the performance improvement of the Vararam on my C5. That was the most "feel" of any improvement I did to that car. I bought one for the C6 that I'll be installing next week after I remove the supercharger.
The following users liked this post:
vezePilot (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 AM
vezePilot
Racer

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. AND ... Summit has the Vararam VR-SC1 Snake Charmer for about the same low price that I found for the Blackwing. My service manager at the excellent local dealership --McCaddon Cadillac-Buick-GMC Boulder-- said yesterday to drive the car some before bringing it in for a checkup, and then I'll have them at least change the plugs, check the fluids and inspect it generally. Brandon Dodge in Littleton seems to have inspected it before I bought it ... the car seems just FLAWLESS!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vezePilot
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. AND ... Summit has the Vararam VR-SC1 Snake Charmer for about the same low price that I found for the Blackwing. My service manager at the excellent local dealership --McCaddon Cadillac-Buick-GMC Boulder-- said yesterday to drive the car some before bringing it in for a checkup, and then I'll have them at least change the plugs, check the fluids and inspect it generally. Brandon Dodge in Littleton seems to have inspected it before I bought it ... the car seems just FLAWLESS!
My 07 was flawless for the first 20 days till some moron on a motorcycle splitting lanes at 50+ rammed me. Getting that fixed this coming week.

As for the Vararam - it won't show up on a dyno since you're sitting still, but the faster you go the more you notice it. The instructions with mine specifically says to "drive the car 100 miles or so to dial in the airflow, due to ram effect, rather than just cold air." It goes on to explain that the CANBUS system will just go rich and pull timing of you jump on it before 28-32 miles, so if you do that it will take longer for the computer to figure things out.

Anything that needs that sort of adjustment is making a significant difference - at least IMHO.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I had the Halltech intake on my 2005 C6 which is a very similar design to the Blackwing. I honestly don't recall feeling any improved HP.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 PM
vezePilot
Racer

I'll have to head East or North out of the Denver metro area, so I'm not going uphill into the mountains. That will give it a good long run at speed. And speaking of speed ... my wife has no interest in driving her Mustang 5.0 GT-CS fast, but there is a racetrack out East of Denver: the High Plains Raceway. And Thursday nights 4 - 9 PM is open laps for cars. It'll be a few weeks before I get the Cold-Air Intake, but after that ...
Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Check sponsor wild vettes for a vararam. Great prices
The following users liked this post:
vezePilot (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:22 AM
vezePilot
Racer

Originally Posted by farmington
Check sponsor wild vettes for a vararam. Great prices
WHOA! ... and I thought $339 from Summit was a great price. Wow, for $270 that Vararam SC1 Snake Charmer is a whole lot closer. Thanks! very much.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:11 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

WHOA! ... and I thought $339 from Summit was a great price. Wow, for $270 that Vararam SC1 Snake Charmer is a whole lot closer. Thanks! very much.
Yep, Summit USED to be the place to go for the best price, now it's more a matter of what's in stock - but they sure do have a lot in stock.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

We gotta watch each other’s back. Enjoy.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM
vezePilot
Racer

I'm going to put a Front License Plate on my C6, 'cuz it's required here in Boulder, CO. The Top Flight has been recommended, and it is designed to mount right in the middle of the "Inlet" (that's what we would call the big opening at the front, if it was a jet plane.) And I'm also now going to install the Vararam SC1 Snake Charmer Cold-Air Intake. I have already ordered the Fixed Plate Mount, not the Removable one.

Is the Centered Front License Plate going to interfere with the effectiveness of the Vararam Intake? Should I plan to mount the License Plate off to one side? Maybe I could, like, shoot holes in the License Plate with my 1911 ... would that help?

Last edited by vezePilot; 06-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:28 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going to put a Front License Plate on my C6, 'cuz it's required here in Boulder, CO. The Top Flight has been recommended, and it is designed to mount right in the middle of the "Inlet" (that's what we would call the big opening at the front, if it was a jet plane.) And I'm also now going to install the Vararam SC1 Snake Charmer Cold-Air Intake. I have already ordered the Fixed Plate Mount, not the Removable one.

Is the Centered Front License Plate going to interfere with the effectiveness of the Vararam Intake? Should I plan to mount the License Plate off to one side? Maybe I could, like, shoot holes in the License Plate with my 1911 ... would that help?
Why yes - .45 caliber holes will indeed improve airflow

Get notified of new replies

To Blackwing Cold-Air Intake for a C6

Quick Reply: Blackwing Cold-Air Intake for a C6