C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:10 PM
sal0107
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight restoration

I would like to know the best my of restoring the headlight lens on my C6
Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I think most here replace (more accurately send off for replacement) the lenses. Member RLSebring does this service, and most any other headlight service, as a side business vendor here. It's expensive but the result is flawless.

However, if you like to DIY or just save money, here is the best DIY I've seen posted here. It's from a few years ago but no one has posted anything better. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...polishing.html
Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Rick said the same thing I did in OP's thread in C6Gen. Good luck, sa.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I think most here replace (more accurately send off for replacement) the lenses. Member RLSebring does this service, and most any other headlight service, as a side business vendor here. It's expensive but the result is flawless.

However, if you like to DIY or just save money, here is the best DIY I've seen posted here. It's from a few years ago but no one has posted anything better. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...polishing.html
This is a bit dated, as a pro detailer that restores headlights on a weekly basis, this is the best I have seen for the DIY'r. Let There Be Light
Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
This is a bit dated, as a pro detailer that restores headlights on a weekly basis, this is the best I have seen for the DIY'r. Let There Be Light
There seems to be a problem with Links, so another post to continue.
Let There Be Light has a complete kit to do a full restore, and is awesome, but is some work and you have to be careful with the coating and tape/paper off the surrounding areas..
However if you want to do it without that do this:
The key to a good restoration is to sand all the coating off. Finishing with 600 is simply way to rough.
I start with 800 grit, going left to right on the entire headlight and remove any coating that is still there, You should have a surface that is he same over the entire cover, no lines of the previous coating
Then 1000 grit going vertical top to bottom. When I only see vertical sanding marks, and removed the left to right marks I move on to the next grit.
Them 1500 grit going left to right until all the vertical marks are removed
Then 2000 grit back to vertical until the horizontal marks are removed.
any imperfections that you see, ie. coating that is still there, you need to remove it.
Then polish off with any finishing product, Meguiars 205, Zaino ZPC, Meguiar's Plastic Polish, etc by hand or with a buffer.
Then you MUST follow up with a good coating. As a DIY, Meguiar's Headlight Coating is excellent
The above sounds like a lot of work, but trust me shortcuts will have the cloudiness back in a few months.
In my shop I use a ceramic coating that is lifetime.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 06-24-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:16 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,077 Likes on 631 Posts

I did the sanding,buffing to mine last weekend and was impressed with the results and improved viability.

Get notified of new replies

To headlight restoration

Quick Reply: headlight restoration