C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My c6 Salvage Rebuild Process

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work man, keep us posted !
Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Excellent job so far. Can't wait to see it finished. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 PM
overlap
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Fender Installed

Here are some pics with the fender installed. It fits nice, just need a little adjustment. headlight installed and working, also installed front bumper absorber. Now its just waiting for the front bumper cover to arrive and get it installed. While waiting, I'm doing the stereo system. Installed the Sony Carplay headunit, installing the amps, speakers, sub. Replaced the shift boot and shift ****. When i removed the boot/****, it looks like there is a short shifter already installed, from what i can tell it is a MGW.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Looking good! Love the updates!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 PM
subseawellhead
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by overlap
Hey all, it's been some time since my last post, but I have been waiting mostly for parts and for the heat to die down.
I have installed the lower radiator support with an aftermarket one that is much stronger then the OEM. It looks like it has ben replaced before as the one I took out was the OEM with no rivets in it and a couple of bolts were broken off. It was attached with sheet metal screws to the frame. I used the same mount points and it went in fine.

I also installed the inner fender and it was actually not too bad. There is not much movement in there and can really on go in one way. The most important thing is the prep. I trimmed all the old adhesive to 1 inch strips to use as shims, then I grinned down the strips to about 75% of the original thickness, removed all the high spots and sanded down to bare metal where the new adhesive would go. Applied the adhesive to the frame and installed the fender. Used some large clams on the top and small clams on the bottom. I used the alternator as a clamp mount point as it lighted up with the fender and gave good resistance when I tightened the clamps. I let it dry overnight and after installed the headlight, outer fender and all went in very nice. Next is the front bumper which iI'm waiting for delivery and some small screws/parts.
Here are the pics of the inner fender drying. I will post more later with the outer fender installed.

Aftermarket radiator support? From who? Didnt know anybody made these as OEM not very durable. Have 2 hanging in the shop to be re welded.
Great job you are doing on the car, they really are pretty easy to work on.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:41 PM
overlap
Instructor

Originally Posted by subseawellhead
Aftermarket radiator support? From who? Didnt know anybody made these as OEM not very durable. Have 2 hanging in the shop to be re welded.
Great job you are doing on the car, they really are pretty easy to work on.
There are a couple places that make it. But the best I seen is from crane corvette. They make it with the rivnuts installed and much stronger then OEM. And they run for about $360.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:02 AM
subseawellhead
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by overlap

There are a couple places that make it. But the best I seen is from crane corvette. They make it with the rivnuts installed and much stronger then OEM. And they run for about $360.
Thank you sir, I have 2 OEM's hanging in the shop to be re welded but my next buy will be from Crane.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
overlap
Instructor

Default Continued

So it has been a while since my last post, but the rebuild is pretty much done. I'm in the process of getting the inspections done, alignment, etc. Need a few small trim pieces underneath and that's about it. Here are some more pics.

I replaced the sway bar with an Eiabch, here how it compares with the stock one.

Next I completely rebuilt the passenger side suspension so that everything up front is brand new. Again I installed studs for the upper A-Arms.

Finally I got the front bumper on and I also installed a carbon fiber hood from Carbon Creations, and let me tell you its the worst POS i have ever seen. It looks nice but the fitment is bad. I think I might end up removing the hinges and latches and using hood pins to get it properly aligned, because I don't see any other way. I ordered a pre-painted bumper from Revmoto and they got the color perfect. I sent them a sample from my old bumper and had them paint an OEM bumper instead of aftermarket. The fit was perfect on the car.

That's it, its ready to go for the most part. Next will be rebuilding the read end most likely, some detailing, accessories etc and of course performance work.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congrats very nice work you have done there, time to enjoy it now. Thanks for the updates.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM
CaptainFalcon
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just found this thread today, fun read! Looks like you've got her put back together and then some!

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into the entire build now that its pretty much wrapped up?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM
overlap
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaptainFalcon
Just found this thread today, fun read! Looks like you've got her put back together and then some!

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into the entire build now that its pretty much wrapped up?
I say about 13-14k including the car and all the other stuff I did. It would have been much less if I did not do all the stuff that was not needed like suspension on the right side and body mods etc.

Quick Reply: My c6 Salvage Rebuild Process