C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 C6 Corvette shifter not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 01:01 PM
risingsun357
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 C6 Corvette shifter not working

I am hoping that someone can help me figure out this problem. A couple of days I arrived home with my C6 . I pulled forward to back into my garage. I noticed that my shifter was really loose (no tension). The transmission was stuck in drive. I could not get it started again once I turned it off. I left it until the next morning . I noticed that on the ground was a screw like part that I assume fell from beneath my car. I jacked the car up and saw that the transmission cable was still connected to the lever on the transmission. I took the console apart where the shifter is located (automatic transmission). The cable appeared to be connected. Here is a picture of the part that I found that was beneath the car. Does this part look familiar to anyone ? I am lost! Attached Images
Old 11-14-2015, 07:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
The following users liked this post:
07c6vette (07-12-2018)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Yep, either grommet for the shifter cable to the center console shifter assembly post worn out and the cable popped off the post, or the cable in cable housing itself snapped, and you will need a new shifter cable (less than $45 for new OEM cable).
Old 11-16-2015, 04:54 PM
risingsun357
Navigator

Default C6 Shifter cable broken

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yep, either grommet for the shifter cable to the center console shifter assembly post worn out and the cable popped off the post, or the cable in cable housing itself snapped, and you will need a new shifter cable (less than $45 for new OEM cable).
I took the console apart & the cable is still connected to the shifter. I also went to the rear and saw that the cable end is still connected to the transmission lever arm. I am guessing that it is broken in between somewhere. Can this cable be easily replaced by myself ? The Dealer wants 450.00 dollars to replace the cable. I hate to let that much money slip through mu hands !
Old 11-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Start by putting someone in the car to shift the shifter as you watch the trans lever to make sure it not moving to confirm that the shifter cable is broken in the cable housing (and the problem is not in the trans), but if the actual cable is broken in the cable housing, then it's easy to change the cable.

The trick once you have the new cable installed, is to index is correctly.

Click on the below link, and take a close look at the tan side that goes to the shifter lever tab in the car.
https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...-shifter-cable

In the first photo, the side clip is removed so you can see the end of tab inner cable end piece in the grommet slot, and in the second photo, the clip is installed that locks the cable end tab into the needed set length to correctly index the cable between the two end grommets for your car.

So you will pull the tan side plastic clip before you install the cable, and once you have the cable installed, put the shifter stick in park, the trans lever in park, then clip the tan slide clip back in to set/ index length the cable correctly for your car's shifter and trans lever.
risingsun357 (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:57 PM
risingsun357
Navigator

Thanks for the response Dano523 . The link that you provided shows the cable that is to be ordered. Not the picture that you are refranceing
Old 11-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by risingsun357
Thanks for the response Dano523 . The link that you provided shows the cable that is to be ordered. Not the picture that you are refranceing
Check around, and you should be able to pick up a new OEM shifter cable for around $40.

As for the link, I used it to just show you the side clip that you have to remove when you install the new cable to begin with, get the shifter and trans lever both in the park position once the new cable in installed, then snap the side piece back in to lock the cable in the correct needed length position.

So the first photo of that link, it has the side piece removed from the tan end, and in the second photo, the side piece has been reinstalled in the tan end instead.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:54 PM
risingsun357
Navigator

Check around, and you should be able to pick up a new OEM shifter cable for around $40.

As for the link, I used it to just show you the side clip that you have to remove when you install the new cable to begin with, get the shifter and trans lever both in the park position once the new cable in installed, then snap the side piece back in to lock the cable in the correct needed length position.

So the first photo of that link, it has the side piece removed from the tan end, and in the second photo, the side piece has been reinstalled in the tan end instead.
Ok I understand ! Thanks again Dano523 !
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 PM
A4ea
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club..this site was great.
risingsun357 (11-17-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 02:57 PM
risingsun357
Navigator

Default Cable Arrived but still problems

I finally received the shifter cable yesterday . I was able to see where the cable was damaged . I located the lever on the transmission and attempted to move it to park or neutral . The engine would not start. I was only able to move the lever to 3 positions only. I don't know why , maybe this is the reason why the cable is damaged. Shouldn't I be able to move the lever on the transmission to each gear? When the car stopped I had it in drive.
Any suggestions ?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by risingsun357
I finally received the shifter cable yesterday . I was able to see where the cable was damaged . I located the lever on the transmission and attempted to move it to park or neutral . The engine would not start. I was only able to move the lever to 3 positions only. I don't know why , maybe this is the reason why the cable is damaged. Shouldn't I be able to move the lever on the transmission to each gear? When the car stopped I had it in drive.
Any suggestions ?
The Parking pawl on the left side of the interior Shifter may be rotated upward and blocking you from shifting to R, P or S. I suspect you will be able to shift only between Neutral and Drive. That happened to me a couple of months ago with my 07 A6. This parking pawl and its solenoid operator is problematic on C6 trannies and usually won't let you shift out of Park because the solenoid is no longer strong enough to rotate the parking pawl out of the way to unlock the shifter.

Last edited by GOLD72; 12-08-2015 at 07:25 AM.
risingsun357 (12-11-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 07:25 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The Parking pawl on the left side of the interior Shifter may be rotated upward and blocking you from shifting to R, P or S. I suspect you will be able to shift only between Neutral and Drive. That happened to me a couple of months ago with my 07 A6. This parking pawl and its solenoid operator is problematic on C6 trannies and usually won't let you shift out of Park because the solenoid is no longer strong enough to rotate the parking pawl out of the way to unlock the shifter.
My A8 transmission lever has just lost its connection to the transmission. Fortunately the failure happened in my garage and not elsewhere. Had a funny feeling when I pulled into the garage and shifted to Park yesterday that it felt funny. This morning, started up and the transmission shifter was way too loose and shifted thru all of the gear positions without actually shifting the tranny. Now I will have to figure out if it is a broken grommet or a broken cable.
risingsun357 (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 02:30 PM
risingsun357
Navigator

This is the same exact thing that happened to me except mine suck in drive . Mine won't start at all. I guess I will have to send it to the dealership. I purchased a extended warranty . I hope that it will pay for the repair .
Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

i found a way on my 2007 C6 auto tranny that solved my dreaded PARK sticking issue.

PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL DOWN FIRMLY
PRESS THE START BUTTON
NOW FIRMLY SQUEEZE THE VERY BOTTOM PART OF THE SHIFT BUTTON AND MOVE THE SHIFTER OUT OF PARK

Has worked for me ever since

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 C6 Corvette shifter not working

Quick Reply: 2007 C6 Corvette shifter not working