C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:44 AM
rakvak
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Play

My new-to-me 2006 Corvette convertible has about 1/4-1/3 inch play that leads to a slight wander on straights and a tiny delay in responding to inputs in curves. It is subtle enough that I didn't detect it on test drives and not until I lived with the car for a week or so. Is there something I can do or check, or do I need to go straight to a mechanic?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:43 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by rakvak
My new-to-me 2006 Corvette convertible has about 1/4-1/3 inch play that leads to a slight wander on straights and a tiny delay in responding to inputs in curves. It is subtle enough that I didn't detect it on test drives and not until I lived with the car for a week or so. Is there something I can do or check, or do I need to go straight to a mechanic?
I would take it to a dealer for an evaluation or a really good independent if you know of one.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,008 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
I would take it to a dealer for an evaluation or a really good independent if you know of one.
Yep, since it could be a problem with the steering rack itself, or could be a problem with something loose in the steering column itself.
Hell, could be that the steering wheel nut is loose, or even the alignment way out, with nothing wrong with the rack or the column.

As for if it turns out to be the rack, you want one of the later model units, since they had tighter steering than the early model units.

Last edited by Dano523; 07-22-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:04 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Be careful switching racks - you might introduce problems as there are likely systems that expect certain numbers from inputs etc and a different rack could cause issues

Last edited by Jfryjfry; 07-23-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rakvak
I bought a 06 Convertible 13000 miles 3LT last year. Had the very same thing with the steering that you describe. I did every thing that a person could do to improve the steering feel including new Bilstein shocks, sway bars, end links, three different alinements, flushed the power steering fluid twice, new tires. Nothing changed the dead heavy vague on center feel. Finally just gave up and sold the car two weeks ago at a great loss just had enough. The up side I replaced it with a 2012 Grand Sport 6 speed coupe 3LT. I can steer this car just a breeze to drive very precise none of that wandering always correcting feel.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel Play

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Play