C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic won't Shift From Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:50 PM
plcoppell
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Automatic won't Shift From Park

My 2008 Corvette Convertible with 34,000 miles gets temperamental at times and won't shift out of PARK until I rock the wheel back and forth a few times. Any ideas as to what could be the cause.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Makdaddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The answer may be in this thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4000696-a6-won-t-shift-out-of-park-root-cause-found.html

Last edited by Makdaddy; 04-08-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 PM
LuckyC
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same issue

Sometimes I have to put it in acc mode and it will let me switch it to neutral and then I start it ..I know about the fix where you cut the pawl but I didn't want to do that unless I had too ..if you look up that pawl thing there is a video on YouTube ..I may be doing it soon before I get stuck somewhere and have to call for a tow
Old 04-06-2018, 10:31 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Both A4 and A6 shifters have this problem. Some cut and others just tie it back but this is permanent fix.

But safety of not starting with foot on brake is lost.

The following 2 users liked this post by HK770:
EasyGS (04-08-2018), RickMG (07-31-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 01:50 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by HK770
Both A4 and A6 shifters have this problem. Some cut and others just tie it back but this is permanent fix.

You still have to put your foot on the brake to start it. You will no longer need to put your foot on the brake to shift out of park.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

it is a common failure within the housing of the shift lever. it will get worse and eventually you will have to replace the entire unit.

Last edited by C6topless; 04-08-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:09 PM
RickMG
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone know of a mechanic in Southwest Florida that works side jobs that can do this fix at a reasonable cost? I live between Fort Myers and Sarasota. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by HK770

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWp5z4GWyk&t=516s
Old 08-10-2018, 10:07 PM
twelchman
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMG
Does anyone know of a mechanic in Southwest Florida that works side jobs that can do this fix at a reasonable cost? I live between Fort Myers and Sarasota. Thanks in advance.
I live in Punta Gorda and I just found a guy in N. Ft. Myers that is pretty familiar with the Vette transmissions and has 30 years experience. After a few phone conversations I'm going to take mine to him next week. If you're still looking PM me and I'll get you his contact information.

Tommy
The following users liked this post:
RickMG (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:14 AM
RickMG
Racer

Tommy, thank you. I'm in Punta Gorda a few times a week at Fedora's Cigar Lounge on Wood & 17. Yes, very interested and will pm you in a few. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by twelchman
I live in Punta Gorda and I just found a guy in N. Ft. Myers that is pretty familiar with the Vette transmissions and has 30 years experience. After a few phone conversations I'm going to take mine to him next week. If you're still looking PM me and I'll get you his contact information.

Tommy
Old 08-11-2018, 07:07 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Had same problem. Go ahead and take it to your tranny guy if u want to spend $600 to $1300 for a new shifter, but solder in two replacement (better than OEM) contact switches for $5 like i did instead.... been trouble-free ever since for the price of a cheeseburger combo. The details of this diy fix are already posted on this forum
Old 08-11-2018, 11:47 AM
RickMG
Racer

Mike,
I am wanting to do the same thing, but there is no way that I, myself can do it. What I'm looking for is a backyard mechanic that can do what you're talking about rather than put out that kind of money. I have even copied the link to the video of the fix in case I find that someone. But, if I try messing with this, believe me, to replace what I screwed up will cost me more than the original cost. I collect MG's and have done most of the restorations myself with the exception of rebuilding the engines and the paint and body work. How could I ever expect to do a good job once, when there are people out there who can do it blindfolded? And, I get no joy in looking at engines, or anything mechanical, I love the looks of the cars and how they drive. Thank you for your response, and believe me, that's what I want.

Originally Posted by mike_engr
Had same problem. Go ahead and take it to your tranny guy if u want to spend $600 to $1300 for a new shifter, but solder in two replacement (better than OEM) contact switches for $5 like i did instead.... been trouble-free ever since for the price of a cheeseburger combo. The details of this diy fix are already posted on this forum
Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Rick. My 2nd car & 2nd restoration was a 1970 MGBGT with orig wire wheels! Respect! And I did body work and painting being a high school kid at the time! Engine work consisted of me taking off and sending the heads out for one valve seat, and full valve job! But I guess my emphasis for your situation is that its not a "transmission shop problem". Its an electrical switch problem. If you order the switches yourself in advance, and provide the research, its probably something a "stereo installer" could do, as long as they have basic soldering capability, which they should.... Now, if you find a Tranny guy who totally understands the issue and has actually done these replacements in past, then maybe that's a good option too.

Originally Posted by RickMG
Mike,
I am wanting to do the same thing, but there is no way that I, myself can do it. What I'm looking for is a backyard mechanic that can do what you're talking about rather than put out that kind of money. I have even copied the link to the video of the fix in case I find that someone. But, if I try messing with this, believe me, to replace what I screwed up will cost me more than the original cost. I collect MG's and have done most of the restorations myself with the exception of rebuilding the engines and the paint and body work. How could I ever expect to do a good job once, when there are people out there who can do it blindfolded? And, I get no joy in looking at engines, or anything mechanical, I love the looks of the cars and how they drive. Thank you for your response, and believe me, that's what I want.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:01 PM
RickMG
Racer

Thank you again. That's what I'm looking for. The stereo installer sounds like a good option to look for as I'm sure they've removed the console on these many times. I'll check it ot. I have communicated with the other poster here about the transmission guy worries as well. Big help, thank you Mike.

Originally Posted by mike_engr
Hi Rick. My 2nd car & 2nd restoration was a 1970 MGBGT with orig wire wheels! Respect! And I did body work and painting being a high school kid at the time! Engine work consisted of me taking off and sending the heads out for one valve seat, and full valve job! But I guess my emphasis for your situation is that its not a "transmission shop problem". Its an electrical switch problem. If you order the switches yourself in advance, and provide the research, its probably something a "stereo installer" could do, as long as they have basic soldering capability, which they should.... Now, if you find a Tranny guy who totally understands the issue and has actually done these replacements in past, then maybe that's a good option too.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Automatic won't Shift From Park

Quick Reply: C6 Automatic won't Shift From Park